Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 13-01-2014

Default Dex 210 gearbox fix

The Dex 210 is a great car. I however experienced excesive wear on the (way to) small 5x8x2.5 mm bearing (601022) in de gearbox on the top shaft. Other racers also are replacing it every diff-rebuilt of even more often .

I found out there is a great, quick and cheap fix for this problem.
The extension of the gearbox which is placed between the motor plate and gearbox (310257-3), holds a larger 5x11x4 mm bearing and can also be placed on the other side of the gearbox. With an additional part (310257-3), you can therefor replace the small 5x8x2.5 mm bearing with a larger 5x11x4 mm bearing. You only have to enlarge the hole in the housing where the 5x8x2.5 mm bearing normaly sits, just large enough so that the larger bearing can get trough. With the additional gearbox-part (310257-3) placed on the other side of the gearbox, the housing for the new bearing is created. I dremeld half of the (not-used) gearbox-part of but it isn't really necessary.
Lateral movement is prevented by the way the topshaft/slipper is designed, so no mods on that part necesarry.
I wanted to use flat head screws instead of butten head screws (as stock) since the tapered heads would help perfectly align the additional gearbox-housing. Since I could not find flat head screws long enough, I used coned washers (also Durango, Dex 410) to create this. First part of the hole should than be tapered with a body reamer or tool like that (longer flat head screws are beter however).

Because of the thicker new bearing (4 mm instead of 2.5 mm) you have a bit less tread for the slipper screw. I use the AVID slipper conversion and have not found this to be a problem. I did however revers the slipper nut with the locking part on first. I guess it also should not be a problem with the stock slipper.
During rebuilding I noticed some play in the 5x11x4 mm bearing, located at the side of the spur. Probably caused by the excesive wear of the smaller 5x8x2.5 mm bearing. You might want to check this and install two new 5x11x4 mm bearings when making this modification.

After a days racing I disassembled the gearbox and checked for excesive wear but as expected, the gears looked great .

So with this easy and cheap modification (additional part 310257-3, one 5x11x4 mm bearing and three larger screws), on both sides of the slipper-top shaft identical bearings are placed. This should result in a gearbox that would last as long as the rest of the gearbox parts (except for regular diff-rebuilts of course).

I placed some pics for clarification:
1. Stock bearing 5x8x2.5 mm (601022)
2. New, larger 5x11x4 mm bearing (601013) placed on top shaft
3. Enlarged hole in gearbox (gearbox below)
4. Additional gearbox part placed (310257-3). Not used half is cut off.
5. Modified gearbox VS Stock gearbox
6. Small, stock bearing VS new larger bearing
7. Detail new bearing
8. Finished gearbox
9. Gearbox installed

I hope this will help you race longer and rebuilt less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 Dex stock 5x8x2.5 mm bearing.jpg (166.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 02 Dex 5x11x4 mm bearing.jpg (202.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 02 Dex gearbox mod.jpg (178.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 03a Dex created housing 5x11x4 mm bearing.jpg (186.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 03c Dex Stock VS modified gearbox.jpg (139.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 04 Dex Stock VS 5x11x4 mm bearing.jpg (156.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 04a Dex 5x11x4 mm bearing installed.jpg (132.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 05 Dex fished gearmod.jpg (155.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 06 Dex gearbox installed.jpg (294.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by €ric; 13-01-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Clarification pictures