Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 02-06-2017

Default 7.5 vs 7.0 - 6.5 vs 6.0

Hi all

Looking to change my motor, and I've always been curious as to is there much difference in terms of feel say between a 7.5 and a 7.0 given same gearing and motor family etc.

I guess I ask because it feels like most of the club members I race with, race with a ?.5 never a ?.0, for example a 7.5 not a 7.0 or a 6.5 not a 6.0.

For the old skool racers, I am wondering if it is like the difference between a triple or a double wind. For example with brushed motors I always found doubles too punchy but triples just right with slightly more top end.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Adrian
Old 17-06-2017

Im intrested about this difference also. Have heard that .0 are more punchy but really dont know
Old 17-06-2017
Mad Member

I've run the Vampire AB+ v2 motors in the full number winds for quite a few years.

I wouldn't say they are different in the way that a triple felt different to a single, more that they are in between the power bands, of half above and half below.

I always found that a 6.5 was was significantly more rapid than a 7.5, so the 7.0 is a nice middle ground for the majority of tracks I have raced on.
Using the same gearing as I would run a 7.5 and around 10 to 20 degrees of timing advance the top end is comparable to that of a 6.5, but it's smoother in how it gets there.

As always track size, conditions and layout will also determine what motor to run, but I nearly always stick to 7.0 in 2wd.

Just a note that too much timing advance can cause the motor to overheat.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!

Last edited by jcb; 17-06-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 17-06-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

I use either a 4.5 or 5.0, the 5 has a bit more than the 5.5 and is noticeable in my car so you shouldnotice its fractionally quicker if going down by .5
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 08-07-2017
Mad Member

The last couple of seasons, I used to run the Muchmore Fleta modified series from 5.0 to 8.5 winds, and I always preferred the x.0 versions over the x.5s. They just felt smoother, but that may have been down to the low timing values (20°) I used to run. When I tried to run the x.5s with such low timing values, they would generate more heat und perform worse than the higher wind x.0s. If I was to run modified again, I would go for the x.0s again, but as I only hit the track occassionally nowadays, 13.5 or so will generate better lap times.