Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 07-11-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Exclamation Indoor Tyre Choices

Guys,

In the b4.1 I was using Schuy Yellow Mini Spikes and Staggers on the front. These worked well. I saw people using Mini Pin's so tried some. For me they didnt seem very good so I went back to the mini spikes.

What have you been running?

Neil
Old 07-11-2011

Yellow pins all round on the 4wd. The cars alot more pointy but they wear alot better than the mini spikes were doing.
Old 07-11-2011

Can't comment on 2wd. As for 4wd minipins are probably quicker on a hot lap but too aggressive for me, find minispikes have a little give I find them more consistent and predictable. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-11-2011

have you thought about those swedish VBC's (over in the durango Dex210 threads)...

I'm going to give them a go this thursday... Other than that its minipins for me too... Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'too aggressive'? Also when I was running my rear motor'd xxxcr I had to make sure I had pins on the front too and not staggers to try to balance out the rear grip from them... (maybe worth a try on the B4.1 too?)
Old 07-11-2011

I have seen the posts on the vbc's they sound really good would be interested to see a set, but being slicks alot of clubs may have objections to them not being an off road tyre.

When I say to aggressive(in terms of minipins) I think it only applies to 4wd it's just a personal choice but I find they give too much side bite and you can't really drive through the corners, more point and shoot.
Old 07-11-2011
SHRCCC Legend

These? http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84520

Cant see slicks working(or being allowed!)
Old 07-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
These? http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84520

Cant see slicks working(or being allowed!)
If you look further down that thread there is a vid of them working. Still kind of irrelevant as they won't be aloud.
Old 07-11-2011

Slicks will work on carpet beautifully. Just got to keep heat in them. As for me I use yellow pins on the rear and chop and change between cut staggers and staggers up front
Old 07-11-2011

oh... why 'not allowed' Not even club nights?... (where does it say that in our club rule book then? (!!!) And yes, looking at the video, they appeared to work very well on the carpet.. and they do feel very soft, grippy sticky... Lets have a look on thursday!

As for the 'aggressive' I think on a 2wd you're less inclined to (or more difficult to) drift the car and I've have found spikes almost too vague and have got used to the more direct grip of the pins on the carpet...
Old 07-11-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Buy a load then buddy and I'll look... Then I'll ban them lol
Old 08-11-2011

Quote:
Buy a load then buddy and I'll look... Then I'll ban them lol
Were you bullied as a child
Old 08-11-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Just for the record my comments above where in jest, incase there is any misunderstandings

However I was bullied at school a little and also gave little back at times so I guess you could say I'm 50/50 on that score!.

As for the tyres in all seriousness, I think the ethos of the SHRCCC Club events should be a spiked off road type tyre.
Old 08-11-2011

Quote:
Just for the record my comments above where in jest, incase there is any misunderstandings

However I was bullied at school a little and also gave little back at times so I guess you could say I'm 50/50 on that score!.

As for the tyres in all seriousness, I think the ethos of the SHRCCC Club events should be a spiked off road type tyre.

You trying to tell us you went to school !?
Old 08-11-2011

Dudders, no worries, we cleared that up anyhow... Ethos eh... hum... Well the way I see it is if they work and last reasonable well, well whats the harm? How long do pins last anyhow 2-3 meetings at most? If these last longer than that bargain (in my book)...

And if we're talking 'ethos' then perhaps we shouldn't be running indoors over winter as indoors on carpet isn't 'exactly' 'off-road' either is it?

The way I see it, is that I'm just trying to find and use the best set up I can for the conditions presented to me... Which at the moment is indoors and carpet based...

And for the record I can't see anything in the BRCA handbook with regard to tyres being 'spike-based' at all... Not trying to be deliberately difficult, but I really don't see any harm in me and anyone else for that matter trying a few things out.... I honestly don't see the problem....
Old 08-11-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Happy to trial them my nipple loving, lycra clad friend... no problem in that!. These are new tyres so I'm always open .

However, it's not a BRCA thing it's a natural thing... Buggies need a spiked tyre or you might as well go race touring cars . Seriously though, I think most other indoor runnings say you need to use a spiked tyre, Telstar, Taplow etc.

Buy some and lets see them if you want to take the plunge. A Final here you come
Old 08-11-2011

LOL I doubt that VERY much... but hey if it happens A finalists wont be able to complain about my marshalling!!!

About the TC thing... That was kind of my point about racing indoors on carpet! To be honest, the whole TC start up thing happened a few years after I left the sport last time, so I'm not really that affected by this apparent knee jerk reaction to anything that may invoke TC similarities... Like I said I'm trying to use the best set up I can find for the current conditions... I guess in real size racing the nearest I can see is do rally cars use slicks when on a (dry) tarmac stage? They certainly use 'cut' slicks, and I've jsut seen 'std' slick tyres too...

So.. Who knows...?
Old 09-11-2011

Looks like it might be a moot point anyhow... Looking at this post on the Dex210 thread!

Tried these briefly on Sunday, then gave them to a friend to try on his car. They were ran for approx 10mins on track and were rubbish.

They produced a good level of grip on wooden features, but on carpet they were purely a drift tyre with very poor grip level.

Im assuming that in Sweden the carpet is full of additive and therefore may work better, but at my local club they were really poor. I will however keep them in my pit-box and try at another club just to see as our clubs flooring is worn carpet and temperature is also low.

Still a good purchase as they are ideal for testing outside my house on tarmac.lol
Old 09-11-2011
SHRCCC Legend

I'd be interested if they leave rubber marks on our bare floor...
Old 09-11-2011

Is that whether they do or don't leave marks? Promise not to rev it too much when we find out!

Old 10-11-2011
Mad Member

Default hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

things that make you go hhhmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I remember years ago, 22 ish to be precise, we were running slicks/sponge tyres, and they worked indoors, but not everyone used them, it was about 50/50.

they gripped better on carpet but not on the slippy stuff, and they were very easily chipped on the edges and often got mashed quickly.

but i sort of think, of road buggies, should use the best tyres they can for the surface, be it in or outdoors.

TC does not really come into it, as we have ramps, bumps, jumps, nipples/witch hats, etc, so really no comparison!

but if a rule is spiked/knobblies, then thats the rules!:thu mbsup:
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =