Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 17-04-2012

Default SV2 front wheels

I am a little confused of when to use the slim or slightly fatter front wheels and with what tires to use with which wheel. Can anyone please explain which tires they use with the slim wheel and which they use with the slightly wider one.

Many thanks.

Old 17-04-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

theres no should or shouldn't its a tuning option sometimes slim rims give less grip
Old 21-04-2012

There is a subtle difference between the slim and medium rim. The slim rim has a smaller diameter of 57mm whereas the medium rim has a 60mm diameter. If you are using Schumacher tyres then you can only use the tyres with "slim" in the description on the slim rim and you can use any of the tyres with "front" in the description on the medium rims. However if you want to use dBoots tyres ie dB10012A Multibyte 1/10 2WD Front these will only fit on the Schumacher medium rim. Hope this helps.
Old 21-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
There is a subtle difference between the slim and medium rim. The slim rim has a smaller diameter of 57mm whereas the medium rim has a 60mm diameter. If you are using Schumacher tyres then you can only use the tyres with "slim" in the description on the slim rim and you can use any of the tyres with "front" in the description on the medium rims. However if you want to use dBoots tyres ie dB10012A Multibyte 1/10 2WD Front these will only fit on the Schumacher medium rim. Hope this helps.

sorry not true at all, all schumacher tires fit on the slim rims, we use slim rims quiet alot on mini pins and mini spikes
Old 21-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
sorry not true at all, all schumacher tires fit on the slim rims, we use slim rims quiet alot on mini pins and mini spikes
I think you misunderstood my comment - maybe "can only use" has confused you. Whilst technically "all Schumacher tires (sic) fit on slim rims" then I am sure you have found that medium "front" tyres are wider than the rim and are therefore unsuitable to use.
All the Schumacher "slim" tyres i.e. U6759/U6609/U6592/U6581/U6550 and U6549 are designed to fit on the slim rims (I know some people who do not have slim rims sometimes fit the slim tyres onto medium rims but they only fit on 2/3rds of the rim width[not ideal, but keeps them racing]. As a Schumacher driver you will know that with 2WD if you "STRETCH" a slim tyre to fit the entire width of a medium rim then this deforms the "contact area" of the tyre surface causing a "U" shape resulting in the tyre shoulders only having contact with the track and very poor grip levels. Equally if you try to fit the normal front tyres designed for the medium rim i.e. T562/T693/U6515/U6517/U6557/U6595/U6601 and U6607 onto a slim rim then you will have the problem of the tyre being wider than the rim. I hope this clarifies your misunderstanding.
Old 21-04-2012

just how is a tire being wider than a rim a problem,that doesn't means it cant be used ??
try it sometime we have and do quiet often,we run slim tires on narrow rims at times and wide tires on slim rims,both have different levels of grip and are used as tuning aids, there no wrong and right as i said before,
Old 21-04-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my comment - maybe "can only use" has confused you. Whilst technically "all Schumacher tires (sic) fit on slim rims" then I am sure you have found that medium "front" tyres are wider than the rim and are therefore unsuitable to use.
All the Schumacher "slim" tyres i.e. U6759/U6609/U6592/U6581/U6550 and U6549 are designed to fit on the slim rims (I know some people who do not have slim rims sometimes fit the slim tyres onto medium rims but they only fit on 2/3rds of the rim width[not ideal, but keeps them racing]. As a Schumacher driver you will know that with 2WD if you "STRETCH" a slim tyre to fit the entire width of a medium rim then this deforms the "contact area" of the tyre surface causing a "U" shape resulting in the tyre shoulders only having contact with the track and very poor grip levels. Equally if you try to fit the normal front tyres designed for the medium rim i.e. T562/T693/U6515/U6517/U6557/U6595/U6601 and U6607 onto a slim rim then you will have the problem of the tyre being wider than the rim. I hope this clarifies your misunderstanding.

i do hate to crap on your comment, but as shumacher make the wheels and tyres, im sure as you know it all so well, you would agree that in "your words" they would fit slim tyres in slim rims, well guess what they fit the front slim mini pins, pre glued onto....MED wheels!! NOT slim. U6755, so i am fully behind big red on this issue!

whats more in the sv2 manual set up sheets tom cockerill and loyd storry both list cut or stagger rib on MED wheels, so please tell me they are wrong too! (mind you i supose it "keeps them racing" at the top of the pile!!)
Old 22-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
i do hate to crap on your comment, but as shumacher make the wheels and tyres, im sure as you know it all so well, you would agree that in "your words" they would fit slim tyres in slim rims, well guess what they fit the front slim mini pins, pre glued onto....MED wheels!! NOT slim. U6755, so i am fully behind big red on this issue!

whats more in the sv2 manual set up sheets tom cockerill and loyd storry both list cut or stagger rib on MED wheels, so please tell me they are wrong too! (mind you i supose it "keeps them racing" at the top of the pile!!)
I think you may have misunderstood my comment. I did not list U6755 for that very reason because as no doubt you are aware the U6609 Mini Pin (Slim) tyre has a higher tyre wall profile than the “Stagger” tyres and so you do not have the same problem as when you try to fit/stretch the "low profile" U6592 Stagger Rib (Slim) tyre or the U6759 Cut Stagger (Slim) tyre onto a Medium Rim.
With regards to your comment on SV2 set ups - bit of a faux pas here regarding Tom Cockerill’s set ups:- EIR - Tom Cockerill – Front slim with Stagger, EPR – Tom Cockerill – Front Slim with Stagger and EOS – Tom Cockerill – “Front Wheels - Revlite/ Front tyre – Hand out/ Front Insert – Schumacher Medium “. Although it does not state a Medium Rim Tom had to use the Medium Rim because dBoots were the control tyre for this event in Belgium (as per the excellent report on oOple March 10 2012 by jimmy) . As you may or may not be aware the inner diameter of a dBoots 2WD front tyre (60mm) is larger than the diameter of a Schumacher U3766 Slim Front Wheel Rim (57mm) and this is why Tom had to use the Medium Front Wheel Rim as it has a larger diameter of 60mm. So Tom did not use a Schumacher Slim Stagger tyre on a Medium Rim for this event.

With regards to Lloyd Storey and his set up for Indoor Carpet – Front Wheels – Revlite Medium with Stagger Rib – INTERESTING. Will have to check this out next week when he is racing at the club.
Old 22-04-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood my comment. I did not list U6755 for that very reason because as no doubt you are aware the U6609 Mini Pin (Slim) tyre has a higher tyre wall profile than the “Stagger” tyres and so you do not have the same problem as when you try to fit/stretch the "low profile" U6592 Stagger Rib (Slim) tyre or the U6759 Cut Stagger (Slim) tyre onto a Medium Rim.
With regards to your comment on SV2 set ups - bit of a faux pas here regarding Tom Cockerill’s set ups:- EIR - Tom Cockerill – Front slim with Stagger, EPR – Tom Cockerill – Front Slim with Stagger and EOS – Tom Cockerill – “Front Wheels - Revlite/ Front tyre – Hand out/ Front Insert – Schumacher Medium “. Although it does not state a Medium Rim Tom had to use the Medium Rim because dBoots were the control tyre for this event in Belgium (as per the excellent report on oOple March 10 2012 by jimmy) . As you may or may not be aware the inner diameter of a dBoots 2WD front tyre (60mm) is larger than the diameter of a Schumacher U3766 Slim Front Wheel Rim (57mm) and this is why Tom had to use the Medium Front Wheel Rim as it has a larger diameter of 60mm. So Tom did not use a Schumacher Slim Stagger tyre on a Medium Rim for this event.

With regards to Lloyd Storey and his set up for Indoor Carpet – Front Wheels – Revlite Medium with Stagger Rib – INTERESTING. Will have to check this out next week when he is racing at the club.
while you are checking loyds set up, check toms astro set up in the sv2 manual, says exactly what i put, i never mentioned EOS, i told you on astro. At rhrw he used cut stagger ribs with a MED wheel.
i am not confused, you are!

http://www.racing-cars.com/images/Te...heet_astro.pdf