Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 15-11-2015

It has now properly started, it's going to be interesting building 2 cars at the same time on a different spec.
A hopped up racer
A close to std spec B3
The big decision is which chassis to use on the shelfer. The early one with the battery cutouts, or the brand new one? Hmmm....
Old 16-11-2015

The tedious task of screw cleaning/derusting. Dunked in vinegar overnight, no more rust. Ready for a coat of protective oil.
Not many of these will be used, but handy as spares....
Old 16-11-2015

Tonight's progress. Esc rewired , new rear tower, new rear arms, hubs and cvds. Used RPM rear hangers and bumper. Oh and a few FT bits. Also some brass ballast since I'll be using shorties.

Last edited by charlesk; 16-11-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 17-11-2015

Decision made, the shelfer will be built as a b2 that the second rolling chassis is. Just realised last night measuring up things, the rear tower is subtly different, the front plate uses different screws, the rear plate has different flare and the chassis is slotted...
Old 17-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Decision made, the shelfer will be built as a b2 that the second rolling chassis is. Just realised last night measuring up things, the rear tower is subtly different, the front plate uses different screws, the rear plate has different flare and the chassis is slotted...

Actually the B2 is more rare than an original RC10. The B3 is still a very fast car. I'm also racing one

I only see B3's on your pix... Associated released once a B2 to B3 conversion kit. So maybe one of them has been converted if there are some B2 parts on it (or spares).

Just rebuild the B2 correctly if you want a real B2. B2 has a lot of different parts, comparing to the B3: with right suspension parts on front and rear (arms, hubs...), front shock tower, rear shock tower, ball cups, slipper hubs, rear chassis plate (narrow), shocks with alloy caps., shock adjusters...Even the body was different.

B2 and B3 chassis are identical. Your chassis was modified by the previous owner. There was never a slotted chassis on the market. It's kinda "racer tip" to reduce weight and center of gravity using 6cell battery packs.

Rear NARROW aluminium chassis plate is very rare. Same story for the front top plate, WITHOUT holes for anti roll bar. Both parts are, in my opinion, a MUST HAVE on a nice B2 shelfer

Concerning wheels: B4 fronts will fit. Not the rears, they have a different offset. ReRe RC10 rear wheels won't fit too, as they are B4 wheels...

I'm also going to restore a B2 Let me know if you have a nice spare battery strap (standard length) for B3/B2 looking for one...

Last edited by Durango; 17-11-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 17-11-2015

Old 17-11-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Also b2 front wishbones are shorter and rear wishbones as well plus have only two shock mounting holes.

If you want a good starting set up for carpet let me know. Also Thunder Tiger do a phoenix buggy which is a b3 plus do a variety of alloy options, plus wheels.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Last edited by Welshy40; 17-11-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 17-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Also b2 front wishbones are shorter and rear wishbones have only two shock mounting holes.

If you want a good starting set up for carpet let me know. Also Thunder Tiger do a phoenix buggy which is a b3 plus do a variety of alloy options, plus wheels.

Yup, but I think it's all metric on the phoenix? Just checked this few days ago because I wanted some option parts...

BTW: I'm using Thunder Tiger Phoenix wheels on my B3 racer.
Old 17-11-2015

Default B3 wheels

Don't get stuck for wheels, JC Racing still do nice 5 spokes for the B3, about £9 for a set of four.

http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/wheels?product_id=259
Old 17-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout47 View Post
Don't get stuck for wheels, JC Racing still do nice 5 spokes for the B3, about £9 for a set of four.

http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/wheels?product_id=259
Look like a great choice for a runner esp
Old 17-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Actually the B2 is more rare than an original RC10. The B3 is still a very fast car. I'm also racing one

I only see B3's on your pix... Associated released once a B2 to B3 conversion kit. So maybe one of them has been converted if there are some B2 parts on it (or spares).

Just rebuild the B2 correctly if you want a real B2. B2 has a lot of different parts, comparing to the B3: with right suspension parts on front and rear (arms, hubs...), front shock tower, rear shock tower, ball cups, slipper hubs, rear chassis plate (narrow), shocks with alloy caps., shock adjusters...Even the body was different.

B2 and B3 chassis are identical. Your chassis was modified by the previous owner. There was never a slotted chassis on the market. It's kinda "racer tip" to reduce weight and center of gravity using 6cell battery packs.

Rear NARROW aluminium chassis plate is very rare. Same story for the front top plate, WITHOUT holes for anti roll bar. Both parts are, in my opinion, a MUST HAVE on a nice B2 shelfer

Concerning wheels: B4 fronts will fit. Not the rears, they have a different offset. ReRe RC10 rear wheels won't fit too, as they are B4 wheels...

I'm also going to restore a B2 Let me know if you have a nice spare battery strap (standard length) for B3/B2 looking for one...

Thanks for the pics if the differences, they really help.
You are right, although there is b2 parts on it, there are also some b3 parts...
The chassis looks way to neat a jot to be home cut, I suppose it could of been machined?
Also the shock tower in the background is a b3 one, the one on the front is narrower and taller?
Also, any pics of the front and rear plates?

Last edited by charlesk; 17-11-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 17-11-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Yup chassis has been cut,did see a few and it did lower the weight due to the cells going through the chassis, but tbh wasnt really needed. Still agreed it does look like its been done by a pro. The b2 towers were not much different compared to B3 as holes are in the same place with exception of a few more on the b3. I prefer the b2 version.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 17-11-2015

The tower at the back may be a worlds version, they were lower and accommodated the Deja vu shell. If you take a pic of them side by side I will be able tell. What are you doing about a shell by the way? The Deja vu tu shell looks great and a really good repro is available from TBG, I use it on my B3 runner
Old 18-11-2015

Quote:
The tower at the back may be a worlds version, they were lower and accommodated the Deja vu shell. If you take a pic of them side by side I will be able tell. What are you doing about a shell by the way? The Deja vu tu shell looks great and a really good repro is available from TBG, I use it on my B3 runner
Old 18-11-2015

i'm pretty sure the b2 and b3 rear tower are the same, wider one is the worlds tower. b2 chassis i am sure can be identified by the fact that it hasnt got 2 tiny holes at the back which the b3 has, anti roll bar mount i think??
Old 18-11-2015

Started to rebuild the front end.

One of the shock towers that I've got has 3 top link holes, giving the option of an even shorter front link if needed. Used this tower for the racer:

Also used some nice RPM front hubs from the "box of treasure":

How the front tower currently looks. New bulkhead, new carbon composite arms and c-hubs, later FT links for a bit of bling and ease of use, and rpm link ends for strength. Aiming for as strong cas as possible:

Going through by box of bits, found these, that I believe are B2 front hubs/axles?:

Last edited by charlesk; 18-11-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 18-11-2015

A bit more work on the chassis. Has to remove the brass from under the batteries, because it was making them sit too high for the brace. No biggie, can use sticke. Weights in front/Behring etc to balance it out.A bit of foam spacing to locate the shorty where I expect it to end up. Nice blue brace used too. Oh and fitted the servo and pt too. Used some nice FT mounts. So here it is:

And yes the 1313 might be a bit of an overkill for a B3 but it was what I had spare and there is no harm at the end of the day.

Last edited by charlesk; 18-11-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 18-11-2015

Quote:
It does look like a nice shell and in due time I might get one, but tbh atm I think I'm sorted for bodies.
2 std painted, 1 std clear and 1 painted that is a bit different (not sure what it is but quite like it):

Last edited by charlesk; 18-11-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 18-11-2015

Following this with interest, I have just fired my B3 up again after a 15 year break and buying some new nicads. First race at the weekend and it ran really well considering. I didn't realise the vintage scene was so strong, I was thinking if I enjoyed it I'd just by a B5m, but now I'm not sure what to do.

Any good tips or mods for the guys still running B3's, I literally just refilled the shocks (one cap did leak slightly after racing it) and put in new batteries.
Old 18-11-2015

There is NO difference between B2 and B3 chassis plate. Concerning the worlds style shock tower on the rear: I think it was an upgrade, yes.

Another difference between B2 and B3: CVD's look different on the B2, like on the T2 truck. B3 (not the sports kit) came with MIP style CVD's

B2/B3 skinny wheels on the left - wide wheels (the same as B4 wheels) on the right (Upgrade)

rear B2 chassis plate on the left - rear B3 chassis plate on the right

B2 on the left - B3 on the right. Note the difference on shock tower, shocks, top plate, arms.. (last B2 models had the same top plate as the B3, with holes for a anti-roll bar on the front)

Rear B2/B3 shock tower on the left - worlds (B3) option part on the right

Last edited by Durango; 18-11-2015 at 03:59 PM.