Old 19-03-2007

modified l4 front innit?
Old 19-03-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidan View Post
modified l4 front innit?
there's a Euro Spec & USA Spec car

Euro spec use's Corally front end and rear axle and own brand foams/wheels as they have for years.

USA spec uses same chassis as it is pre drilled to take the AE front end and a modified Corally axle to use the 3 stud fixing rims from Jaco/GRP/Parma/BRM/CRC etc. More choice of foams with this set-up = more sales States side
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 19-03-2007

So, would the SP12X with an L4 front end compete well? Whats the cost of a complete L4 front end

So many choices LOL
Old 20-03-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifteenthNeo View Post
So, would the SP12X with an L4 front end compete well? Whats the cost of a complete L4 front end

So many choices LOL
go for the L4 rather than SP12X, t-bars are less than half the price @ £4.60, SP12X ones are £11.99. Also pays to have a spare t-bar built up ready for club night when you need to change it in a hurry.

also run 48dp if you can as you will end up stripping 64dp whilst you learn the art of 12th. You'll finish more of your 8 minute runs/races Change to 64dp once your up to speed

CRC/AE complete front end retails approx £32

start with 19t motor as you'll find it's quick without being OTT. You'll keep up with the modified OK @ club meets

emailed details on setting up 12th chassis
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 20-03-2007

Send a message via MSN to LiamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidan View Post
l4 is great car....spashett won the euros with the new corally
To be fair, you could give Spashett the original Corally and he'd still probably beat the majority of us.
Old 20-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamD View Post
To be fair, you could give Spashett the original Corally and he'd still probably beat the majority of us.

he'd probably beat me with two wheels missing off his car
Old 24-03-2007

Thumbs up

Your bang on their Terry LoL.
Got a l3 off ebay, going to take it to race at Norwich asap, we are going to run 1/12th at lawford buggy club this winter! I, we would be grateful of any tips, advice anyone has to offer, eg prima duo comes in 4 by 50 sqft rolls if we cut it in half would that be big enough for a track ( 8, 25ft)?
Also i've heard its good to have enough foams to run a diffrent set each run, i don't think i or others could manage that would 2 over 6 runs do?

Thanks Juddy
Old 24-03-2007

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Your bang on their Terry LoL.
Got a l3 off ebay, going to take it to race at Norwich asap, we are going to run 1/12th at lawford buggy club this winter! I, we would be grateful of any tips, advice anyone has to offer, eg prima duo comes in 4 by 50 sqft rolls if we cut it in half would that be big enough for a track ( 8, 25ft)?
Also i've heard its good to have enough foams to run a diffrent set each run, i don't think i or others could manage that would 2 over 6 runs do?

Thanks Juddy

cant see it about the foams mate....a set should get you through a full meet easy. i think the to end guys have different sets but no need.

i used to have an l3.. great car still and there are loads of conversions like xenon, hara hammer and shooters.

incidentally i only mentioned corally as i have one myself...i got it given
Old 24-03-2007
Mad Member

One roll of Prima Duo is easily big enough to get a decent track on, cutting it into 3 or 4 pieces would give you a better area work with, depending on the room you have. Just cutting it in half makes a very long and narrow area.
To join the carpet gaffer tape does the best job, but it takes ages to put down and take up and costs a fortune. We use a decent quality sticky 2 inch parcel tape bought by the boxful from a local supplier. We did try cheap tape bought from ebay, but that ended up with cars regularly under the carpet - a 1/12th body seems to be designed to lift the tape if the car is set too low and the body scrapes the track. To lay the tape we just stretch out the tape the full length of the join, place it on the carpet while keeping it under tension then walk along it to press it down, takes very little time once you get the hang of it.
Interestingly the shiny, low grip strips of tape across the track doesn't seem to make too much difference to the cars handling, it doesn't take too long to figure out that if there is tape at the apex of a corner you wait until the car is past it before accelerating. Just make sure you don't position the track layout so a join runs down the length of a straight.

The reason the top boys use a different set of tyres for each run is consistency. When you first treat your tyres they are dry and the additive soaks in. After you have wiped it off and raced the tyres have not dried out and still contain some of the additive and some of the tyre is still softened. You treat them for the second time and it just softens the tyre more, so they generate more grip the second time you run them. Using each set of tyres for one run only makes sure you know exactly how much grip the car will have every time you put it on the track, as the grip is the same with the foams as they wear down. It also means all the tyres are exactly the same diameter at the start of every race so your gearing will be exactly the same each time. As the tyres wear and the diameter get smaller the rollout changes and you are supposed to change your gearing to compensate for this, although you're taking it a bit too seriously if you are checking rollout tables between races at a club meet.

As they aren't softened twice or more each week, using 5 sets of tyres for 5 races each week will actually last more than 5 times as long as just using one set of tyres so it is actually a little cheaper in the long run.

Personally as my club doesn't take it's racing seriously we generally just use one set of tyres continually until they are worn out as we can't be bothered spending all the time between races working on our cars and generally accept the lower grip in the first race each week. The way round the different grip levels is to put lots of additive on at first, then use less additive (on for less time) for the rest of the night, gets easier to work out how much to use when you have had a few weeks running.

Regarding additive which one you use isn't too important but you will find it is best to use the same additive as everyone else, the additive ends up in the carpet as you race and some additives just don't work well with each other.
Old 27-03-2007

Thanks for that chaps,

Yeah Thats another thing i like about 12th is that it seems you can mix and match bits and bobs to make your own car, my mate got a l4 with side dampers, has'nt run it yet. would that make it more of a tforce kind of thing, or just a l4 with side dampers ?

thanks Terry thats just what we needed to know, 3 strips 16 by 12 would be far better . I was hoping that was the case with tires, i was worried in case we said one set would be fine, but they turned to jelly after a month.