Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > NEAM Seaham Sunderland

Old 14-10-2008
Mad Member

Default The Jarrow Challenge.

The new CAT looks great however after looking at chris stewarts and trying to assist him to set it up Im of the conclusion its not Jarra freindly. I challenge anyone to comeup with a good setup for a CAT on our ice rink style track....? I think running LIPO's with no additional weight causes a big problem on slippy surfaces...
Old 15-10-2008
Mad Member

Cheers Neil. Couldnt have put it any better. As Neil said, im struggling lots at Jarrow, which is 95% very slippy floor. I can compare the car with a BJ4WE which was fine on the same floor. I have sorted the steering issues out a bit with the functions on my transmitter and now its the car. Like Neil said, would running weight down the middle help me with traction? Its like driving a pond skater and im getting sick of it. Worksop this weekend but im going for a similar setup to Si Moss so should be fine with that. Any help much appreciated.
Old 15-10-2008
Lee-Mag

I'm sure someone will have a setup for you but i remember a very top driver saying before the release that the SX stuggles on low grip surfaces, and that was before we even saw the lipo version.

Having never driven one i cant really have a personal opinion but this was an opinion of someone who is one of the worlds top drivers

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 15-10-2008
Mad Member

Cheers Lee. Why couldnt you have told me that before i have just spent over £600 on the car, new cells and spares. If thats the case then its for sale if anybody wants it. Most of my racing is on very very very slipy floor. Next to no carpet. BJ4 is coming out of retirement. Was nice to have a slipper for a few weeks!
Old 15-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
Cheers Neil. Couldnt have put it any better. As Neil said, im struggling lots at Jarrow, which is 95% very slippy floor. I can compare the car with a BJ4WE which was fine on the same floor. I have sorted the steering issues out a bit with the functions on my transmitter and now its the car. Like Neil said, would running weight down the middle help me with traction? Its like driving a pond skater and im getting sick of it. Worksop this weekend but im going for a similar setup to Si Moss so should be fine with that. Any help much appreciated.
Chris, from looking very briefly at the CAT it seems the weight is very far forward compared to something like a BJ4WE, and also the car is probably quite a bit lighter too with LiPo.

From what you have described about excessive steering, and if you want to play around with ballast, sounds like you need more weight at the back.

Try sticking a couple of big lumps of lead (say, 50g each) at the rear of the chassis, behind the LiPo on one side and behind the motor on the other. See if that gets the balance a bit closer to what you want on the slippy floor.
Old 15-10-2008
Mad Member

Keep them coming.Knowledge is power.
Old 15-10-2008
Woop Woop Member

you have a pm m8

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 15-10-2008
Super Moderator

Maybe it doesn't roll as much as other cars with the weight being very central (narrow car). Concentrate on getting it to roll about maybe, and if all else fails maybe try some weight on the extremes of the chassis?

G
Old 15-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It'll just be a case of finding the right setup Chris, all the different cars are fundamentally similar, running on the same tyres ect. There's no reason you can't get as much grip with the SX as other cars by messing with the setup.
It's all about having the weight in the right place and presenting the spikes to the track properly

Or you could just run your BJ4

I wouldn't think adding lead will give any more grip, since moving to LiPo's and knocking 180g off my BJ4 has more grip than ever
Old 15-10-2008

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I'm sure someone will have a setup for you but i remember a very top driver saying before the release that the SX stuggles on low grip surfaces, and that was before we even saw the lipo version.

Having never driven one i cant really have a personal opinion but this was an opinion of someone who is one of the worlds top drivers
I was under the impression that you would count clay as a low grip surface, and i for one have never had any problems with that mate. Would be interested to hear who the 'top driver' was tho if they seem so sure it doesnt work.

As for a setup on polished floor, I would start maybe a little softer than the setup i will be running at Worksop. As Northy said, try and generate some body roll, so perhaps go 25wt in the front and 20 in the rear. The yellow springs supplied with the kit should be fine all round. Add some more rear toe in to the car, this should make it square up better under acceleration. Its difficult to be too specific as i dont know what you are struggling with i.e too much steering, not enough back end etc. Send me a pm if you need a hand.

Si
Old 15-10-2008
Mad Member

As Northy said, try and generate some body roll, so perhaps go 25wt in the front and 20 in the rear. The yellow springs supplied with the kit should be fine all round. Add some more rear toe in to the car, this should make it square up better under acceleration. Its difficult to be too specific as i dont know what you are struggling with i.e too much steering, not enough back end etc. Send me a pm if you need a hand.

Si[/quote]

exactly what i was sayin on tuesday chris, you need a softer setup with more rear toe in. Also i noticed one of ya front shocks seemed to have nee oil in. Have you read the thread on here about soakin ya o-rings before ya fit em. i thought this was common practice...??? I thought your car had pleanty roll just a snappy arse end... Also Lee makes a good point, the car might not be good with low grip surfaces. Ive seen this before mind... i had to throw about 40 grams stern and 90 starboard in one of me cars to get it round the track... ah no this was me sunseeker yatch... Cars are bound by land laws of physics. Weight distribution, tyres and shock oil normally sorts that out...