Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 30-01-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Dizzy
Default O-ring Chart?

Hi guys and girls,

Sure I have seen something on here about the Shore Chart for the o-rings or information on the shores.

Have tried searching the net and here and can not find the info.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Old 31-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Hi guys and girls,

Sure I have seen something on here about the Shore Chart for the o-rings or information on the shores.

Have tried searching the net and here and can not find the info.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Lower number is softer, better seal, more friction

Higher number is harder, less resistance and friction

If you use both o-rings with high shore rating, you will need to constant refill the shocks after every race as the oil will bleed out of the shocks faster as the seal is not as good, but the shocks will perform the best as there is not much o-ring friction or resistance in the shock stroke.

If you use the softest, the effect is opposite.

Some use a low friction (highers shore rating) on the inner part of the shock, and a higher friction (better seal) just before the bottom shock cap. Its kinda the best of both worlds. Less resistance,
Old 31-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think I disagree with your commend on drag and sealing benefits.

for sure, lower number is softer.

but here is now I have found it to work.

because all the o-rings are compressed in the shock seal 'cartridge' I have found that the softer o-rings resist this compression far less. results in less drag on the shock shaft but is more likely to weap some oil.

the stiff o-rings offer more resistence when they are 'squashed' into the shock seal 'cartridge'. this is more pressure on the shock shaft and more drag on the shock shaft.

I personally use the blue (softest) shock seals, after a few runs all o-rings swell up a little bit and provide a better seal than when first installed.
I don't really worry or think about having to re-fill my oil, I don't have any air in my shocks, the only time I'd consider an oil change is for a setup change that I wanted to make.

the stock red o-rings are 70 shore rating and they have quite a lot of drag on the shock shafts.
Old 31-01-2014

Cheers for the input lads. Makes a lot of sense Chris will have to see if i can get hold of the blue o rings. Seam to be unavailable where ever i look
Old 31-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Doughty View Post
I think I disagree with your commend on drag and sealing benefits.

for sure, lower number is softer.

but here is now I have found it to work.

because all the o-rings are compressed in the shock seal 'cartridge' I have found that the softer o-rings resist this compression far less. results in less drag on the shock shaft but is more likely to weap some oil.

the stiff o-rings offer more resistence when they are 'squashed' into the shock seal 'cartridge'. this is more pressure on the shock shaft and more drag on the shock shaft.

I personally use the blue (softest) shock seals, after a few runs all o-rings swell up a little bit and provide a better seal than when first installed.
I don't really worry or think about having to re-fill my oil, I don't have any air in my shocks, the only time I'd consider an oil change is for a setup change that I wanted to make.

the stock red o-rings are 70 shore rating and they have quite a lot of drag on the shock shafts.
Thanks for posting that info Chris. Never thought of it that way about harder shore causing more resistance. Now I know which o-rings to order.
Old 01-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

essentially the o-ring does not really 'grip' on the shock shaft (unless you haven't used any oil to build them) so the softness of the the o-ring does not have the same effect as the softness of a tire on a track as an example.

its all about the force exerted on the shaft by the o-rings, they are all the same size, they all fit into the same place. its just about how easily they are to squash into that place.

its also why o-rings 'go bad', basically, they just swell up and exert more force on the shaft causing more drag than when they are first fitted.

I have found with the softest Blue Durango o-rings that even when they have swelled up a bit they still feel really free and smooth.
Old 01-02-2014

Hi Chris,

Which size blues do you use? 3x2mm or the 4x2mm? What difference who each of them make?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 01-02-2014
Mad Member

I think the 3x2mm ones are for the 10 scale shocks, the 4x2mm ones are 8th scale shock seals or diff seals on the 410.
Old 01-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Exactly what JohnM said