Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 14-08-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Agree stu and don't forget you made an A final in a convincing way, not easily achieved.

Sadly as you noticed many are moving or missing the racing, and late nationals mean many will be back to outdoor racing.

Personally for me the nationals were my full on winter series where we canceled dates to make sure we attended the gt12 series, this season our buggy racing will now take priority and if we still have any gt12 cars we will look at doing any local events, which looks like one meeting. So does that warrant having a car stood?

Been doing gt12 since its very early years, when Schumacher entered with the supastox. Sad to feel this way and I hope the class continues.
Old 18-08-2017

Classes evolve Mark; and won't suit everyone all the way. GT12 is still a fabulous, well supported stand alone class as far as I believe. If things don't suit you now, its important we all stay positive and keep promoting the class rather than talking it down because its strayed from its previous path that did suit.

People don't like change, but sometimes it might just be for the good of the class..
Old 18-08-2017
Mad Member

Love the GT12 class, I mainly race buggies but GT12 is perfect for a week day evening club racing. Super quick and low maintenance, perfect for a blast in the week.

We race on very tight and twisty tracks at Bristol club and the cars feel super quick round here - no need for new motors, batteries and tyres all the time. It won't help you here

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 18-08-2017

Well said Dan - it's a class for the masses.
Old 19-08-2017

Facebook just posted up Josh's first GT12 from when I first built it in 2012 (I still have it somewhere). It is amazing how primitive it looks compared to the cars of today. The essence of the class from back then is still there though, low maintenance, easy to get going with, good basic handling. Still a really good club class, which is something I think we tend to forget when racing at nationals. I think it still has a pretty good future
Old 24-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucartwright View Post
Classes evolve Mark; and won't suit everyone all the way. GT12 is still a fabulous, well supported stand alone class as far as I believe. If things don't suit you now, its important we all stay positive and keep promoting the class rather than talking it down because its strayed from its previous path that did suit.

People don't like change, but sometimes it might just be for the good of the class..
Nothing evolved i dont like as in the class, rules etc, moving dates from a winter national to a spring national serries is not realy an evolution. But it has moved it away from a fair few racers who race more than pan cars/ outdoors.
Its a strong enough class to run from jan to march in the new format on its own. And will prob more than likely do ok on its new dates.

Sadly its seen a decline in clubs running round here over summer for on road and pan cars in general (not just gt12)

The only big winter meeting round me looks like being the schumacher gp at mb.

Ill still promote it but it has to me lost its sparkle

Im loving the idea of more control over the tyres if that can get into the class
Old 26-08-2017

Default New to gt12

Hello
Just had my first race last night. I have a schumacher ssgt and would like to know a starting point to set the car to. I got the car second hand and it has most upgrades there is. So I can get used to working on it want to set it up which springs rude height which tyres and other settings. This is all new to me so any help will be good.
Thanks Paul
Old 26-08-2017

there are some set up sheets on here

http://www.racing-cars.com/search.as...e1=prodvalue14

think this was the one i used the most

http://www.racing-cars.com/images/Te...hootout_r4.pdf

if your on facebook also join https://www.facebook.com/groups/336445139755237/
Old 26-08-2017

Thanks
Old 01-09-2017

September competition on GT12 Help... Facebook page - this is a new feature and now a monthly offering to the largest private group of GT12 Racers on the web.

Prizes brought to you by www.speedrc.co.uk - check out their new website!!

Best wishes Stu Cartwright
Old 17-11-2017
Mad Member

i love gt12 racing as its all about the setup and driving without making a mistake that could cost you the race,
ive purchased everything i can, 3 x gt12s for my son and me with a spare as backup, tyre truer, motor analyser, and many many more tools and gadgets, ive even purchased around 20 full sets of tyres for this season which we have yet to race, because-----
we only race at club level and our club has gone with this control tyre thing so now ive got 20 full sets of new tyres im not allowed to use,
apparently its to make the tyres a level playing field for everyone,
i dont get this as its the same as it was before but just costing £1 less per pair,
what next, limit what motor we can use to just one brand or make us use a particular esc, or you can only race a particular shell, its took the fun aspect out of it for me and ive now lost all interest and am thinking of selling all my gear, all because of this control tyre....im not the only one whos given up this season, were supposed to be getting more people into this class not driving them away
Old 17-11-2017

Control tyres is a good thing in my opinion especially for a feeder class, as it means you only need to make the car work with one tyre, everyone is in the same boat for grip/wear and additive timing. Making it about the driving rather than the wallet for who can buy the most expensive softest tyres. If you are giving up based purely on having a tyre choice removed it leads me to question how much you was actually enjoying it.
Old 17-11-2017

Rondoola

You started with this

"i love gt12 racing as its all about the setup and driving without making a mistake that could cost you the race"

Then slate control tyres? Control tyres is the best way this class can move forwards, with everybody on he same tyres your fist sentence is even more accurate.

Now assuming you bought the best tyres to use which are contact T or jft S then I fail to see how your saving 1 pound a pair. (Retail prices below)

Contact T foam 8.50 rears 8.50 fronts 17.00

Jft s foam s foam 7.99 front 7.99 15.98

Contact control tyres 4.99 rear 4.99 front 9.98

By my maths that a minimum of 2.50 a pair or 5.00 a set and considering the contacts have a longer life and reduce grip, there is more emphasis on set up and driver. And less on the latest Speedo motor and body.

Maybe as Benji has suggested you were not enjoying gt12 as you thought and its time to move on. If you have bought the T or S foams then you can still use them at the spring nationals

Last edited by mark christopher; 17-11-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 20-11-2017

Glad someone has pointed out the obvious but that being said not everyone want to race on controlled tyres so here’s something I suggested on Facebook, taking into account there are enough racer to cover this idea at a meeting maybe have a heat or more depending on the numbers of racers wanting to do this for controlled tyres and a heat again the same depending on the numbers for a open class meaning open to any tyres but everything the same batteries all to brca rules , this way should please everyone but as I said there need to be enough racers at a meeting to make up at least 1 heat of the tyre with the least preference to male it work this should then stop anyone who is thinking of not attending a certain club because they may want to run just controlled tyres or not allow controlled tyres to be confident to go and race what they want and please understand I don’t know of any clubs who are thinking of this but I just keep seeing people having the odd comment or conversation on this and other forums about the tyre issue so this idea came to me and thought I would see what people’s thoughts were
Old 21-11-2017

To look at it from another angle, control tyres work, off road, touring car, 5th scale, f1.
The Schumacher gt12 gp filled to max capacity in 9 days from entry open.

Current gt12 nationals (open tyres) had 6 in 4 days, website is down at min to check latest numbers. Maybe Schumacher and their control tyre got it right?
Old 21-11-2017

Well mark I have to agree as this is the only tyre I use now and would love to see the so called playing field evened out a bit but unfortunately not all do which is why I suggested what I did in my previous post to keep the options open, but looking at the MB race yes it’s was staggering how quick it filled up
Old 26-11-2017

I think it’s importnat to stress that Mark C is a Schumacher sponsored driver and is a little bias when it comes to all things Schumacher; that being said control tyres have positives and negatives. A case in point;
I ran TC this year for the first time, used Sorex which is brutally poor and was introduced because all the Schumacher guys voted for it at the AGM, that very reason is why I sold all my TC kit months after I raced a couple of Nationals, so control tyres don’t always work in my experience.

GT12 being sold as a feeder class is still a myth to me; feeder to what exactly? 12th Scale, 5th Scale, TC? GT12 is a close racing, low maintenance class that attracts people with small time scales, smallish budgets and a way to relive their youth, enjoy a crack with pals and get out the house for an evening or morning.

For that reason, if the class gets so popular it expands and goes beyond its original design, like so many popular items/sports/remits why put an anchor on it when people clearly like it the way it was/is

The Schumacher GP is an annual event and one that filled out because it’s Christmas and people know prizes are big because of the Schumacher link and so many Schumacher drivers. The Nationals are months away and many people are busy doing other stuff so let’s not be fooled by the control tyre ruling why the entry filled up so quickly.

I’m passionate about GT12 and on the back of the Worlds in Milton Keynes to reduce the GT12 Nationals to three weekends was the most backward step I’ve seen in a while by a governing body. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” a fabulous motto and in his circumstance GT12 wasn’t broken. We reduced the Nationals and now a push to change to a control tyre would be absurd. Be careful folks of what you wish for. Save a pound here or there, if it’s really that tight at home, then maybe you shouldn’t be racing RC at all, because any form of competition in any hobby “don’t come cheap”... Peace. x
Old 26-11-2017

True Stu, I am a Schumacher driver, but I have not driven my gt12 since the last national. Why? It's got out of hand, I fully agree it's grown beyond its conception. But it's also got silly, tyres at 17 a set, the perception you need the latest motor Speedo and Lipo.

The main reason, is your last paragraph, it was my winter class, no it's a spring class and I'll be outdoors doing off road and 5th.

The claim that Schumacher drivers voted in a tyre, is a bit ott, all drivers who raced at last year's nationals voted on the next year, even non Schumacher drivers voted for sorex, but they won't get in this year.....

I was around pre control tyres in tc and you needed a van load of tyres, inserts and wheels, just in case,
I race buggies, control tyres work
I race 5th scale control tyres work

See cars page on Facebook where racers are trying the gt12 tyres for them selves, it's what gt12 needs

Hope to see you at mb, home of your A final debut.
Old 26-11-2017

You pair just give it up!!
It's great that we have people that give time to help others in areas where they struggle but petty shit?

I've enjoyed reading your posts Stu and in the same way I like the information in Marks posts.

Sorex are still choice by a lot of drivers in TC before and after there was anything else worth trying.

Schumacher/Contact control tyres are great as far as I can see, I had my doubts and struggled today with traction on green carpet but when the grip came up they were there and still 44mm rears after 8 heats, that is how GT12 should be,
I still think it should be control motor like ETS
Old 27-11-2017

I will still run control tyres as will many others and it seems to be getting more popular so let’s see where it takes us in the future

Last edited by deano43; 27-11-2017 at 02:52 AM.