Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 22-05-2009
Administrator

Default Tamiya Rough Rider / Buggy Champ Re-Release

To celebrate 30 years since the original Buggy Champ Rough Rider was released, Tamiya have done the unthinkable and re-released this amazing model car with only minor changes.

The original car was released in 1979 and this new version has all the same features like all-metal construction, scale suspension, sealed motor and electrics and a great hard plastic body shell. Some improvements have been made (like the dampers below) but on the whole the car has kept it's appearance - it's just a little better is all!

We've already discussed the car a little here since its announcement at the Shizuoka hobby show in Japan, but here's a few photos from Tamiya themselves to whet the appitite until the buggy is available to buy.

Unfortunately it does appear to be a limited re-release - but what those limits are isn't made clear.

Last edited by jimmy; 22-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 22-05-2009
Administrator

Old 22-05-2009

Wow takes me back to the begining,got mine as a deal from Beaties with Acoms radio and a 16 hr slow charger.Lost the spot lights in about a week
Old 22-05-2009

It's a shame they have to do it without front tire lettering and real sponsor decals... The other improvements are sweet though.
Old 22-05-2009
Administrator

All the photos are of the original 1979 car though

Last edited by jimmy; 22-05-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 22-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Jimmy any idea on that battery pack ? It's not Lipo , is it ? 6.6volts could be great for mardaves and 12th scale
Great to see this kit coming back, sure takes you back alls we need now is kyosho to bring back the scorpion Hope the beetle makes an appearance
Old 22-05-2009
Administrator

It's an A123 cell pack - think that's what it's called anyway. I think it's a 2 cell pack, each cell is 3.3v

They are supposed to be a lot safer than lipo cells and more robust / tolerant of abuse. Yeah would be IDEAL for mardaves - I know to compete (and win, cough cough) the mardave series at Batley I had new cells and had to charge the hell out of them to get the performance. Cells that this could make things cheaper and more fair for everyone in Mardaves.
Old 23-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

34000 yen that's about £225. Rainbowten are looking at a july release
Old 24-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
It's an A123 cell pack - think that's what it's called anyway. I think it's a 2 cell pack, each cell is 3.3v

They are supposed to be a lot safer than lipo cells and more robust / tolerant of abuse. Yeah would be IDEAL for mardaves - I know to compete (and win, cough cough) the mardave series at Batley I had new cells and had to charge the hell out of them to get the performance. Cells that this could make things cheaper and more fair for everyone in Mardaves.

fairly sure its a six cell batt, like the nimh's.
Old 24-05-2009

I been wondering, they have used the LiFE cells to reduce the size/weight of the pack.

I'm thinking a 2/3 aa cell pack like those designed for 1/18th vehicles may be adequate? Sure they won't pour out the power, but those cells are used for hot mods in the 18ths, so why not for the stock 540 in a Buggy Champ?

I think I am going to get one of these cars...
Old 24-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Unfortunately it does appear to be a limited re-release - but what those limits are isn't made clear.
I'm not sure I would read too much into the limited status of this re release and I say that for a couple of reasons.

It's a 58xxx serial number and please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Tamiya releases true limited runs on this serial number, more usually 49xxx.

I understand many of the re releases are initially listed as limited and I'm sure the Hornet is a case that supports this point.

Do we think Tamiya has gone to the expense of retooling for this release to only produce a limited run? As a business are they going to stop producing something as long as there is a profitable demand?

The only thing that makes me think this maybe a limited release is the thought that the Buggy Champ could be the initial "limited" SRB release closely followed by an unlimited Sand Scorcher a bit like the first run chromed chassis Brat.

Here's my TC showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028
Old 24-05-2009

Well, they would need a smaller pack as the tray width was only wide enough for 5 cells and you had to run a hump pack if you wanted six cells and they would have only only about 1,000mha at the time.
Old 24-05-2009

Tamiya will have kept the original tools - expect a release of the Beetle and Ford F-150 version as well plus the Super Champ version as well.
Old 24-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haswell View Post
Tamiya will have kept the original tools - expect a release of the Beetle and Ford F-150 version as well plus the Super Champ version as well.
I am led to believe the majority of metal parts have been retooled to allow for slight improvements and modification such as the fitment of modern motors and more robust suspension, to name only a couple of changes.

Here's my TC showroom
Old 24-05-2009

I'm not convinced about the "limited release" thing. Just as Ferretti has stated, the Hornet is still listed on some websites as the same and we all know its not.

Perhaps it'll be limited to some 50,000 just like those diecast models are in posh car magazines. Or perhaps numbered, that would be cool.

Never owned one as a child, but a friend did, and it introduced me to radio control, so there'll be a place for it in my line up.
Old 25-05-2009

Does anyone knows something about batteries size?
Will it works (without modifications) with a standard stick pack or will it works only with the traditional hump pack and the new Tamiya A123 pack?
Old 25-05-2009

You won't be able to fit a standard six cell stick pack in it, a hump pack should fit and you should be able to find a number of soft LiPos that will also go in.

Here's my TC showroom
Old 25-05-2009

Any model shop worth thier salt,will make up hump packs for you with modern NiMh cells easy or you can do them yourself if you have a big enough soldering iron and know what you are doing.There will be alternative batterys for sale by the time the car is released i am sure.
Also the special nicad pack for the narrow F1 cars fit as well NP1700.
As Ferretti has said,there are already Lipo packs that will fit,i have some 1800 Mah ones that look lost inside the old SRB radio crate,so no problems for any type of batterys being available from what i can see.