Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 29-09-2014

Don't get wound up about rules..! Lots of club racers use nano techs, they seem well made, reliable and a great price.....then again the Gens Ace also seem good..
Old 29-09-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
there is always the chance that brca could apply a rule that all members use the list to be insured (which is possible if it was put forward and voted by the membership) thus changing general rules stipulates the use of list
Sorry, I have lost my crystal ball, all future predictions are null and void

The list also stops everyone running out to be the latest amazeballs battery that just outperforms the rest!!!! although saying that, for buggy, it is irrelevant (apart from in your head).
Old 29-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post
Or just abolish the rule if its not for insurance purposes?
If you look in the insurance section of the handbook it states:
Quote:
There is only ONE BRCA rule regarding equipment that is applicable to the insurance cover.
General Rule 13, Vehicle Scope –
The BRCA will not recognise a model vehicle as being suitable for radio control that is more than any of these measurements; 1 meter long, 20kg in weight or a maximum of 30cc engine capacity.
That’s It.
If it was for insurance purposes it would mean you would need batteries and motors from the EB lists to be covered by the insurance when you were bashing on the beach or local park, not just on the track.

The homologation lists are nothing to do with the insurance, but everything to do with homologating the batteries/motors/tyres/bodies/ESCs for particular classes of racing, to keep the racing fair.
Being on the list means they have been tested and checked that they meet the rules for whichever class they are designed for, and that they are readily available from a UK source.

Now lets look at what happens if the lists aren't used and you can use any battery that fits within the maximum dimensions. All you see is that you can then use any cheap batteries you want, but at the top end of racing it leaves the door open for manufacturers to supply their sponsored drivers directly with their latest battery technology, squeezed into ultra thin cases that wouldn't pass the BRCA/ROAR drop test to get as much capacity in there, with batteries costing considerably more.

The homologation lists are there to ensure the racing is fair, so you now that every motor/battery/etc. meets all the rules, that what you are using is much the same as everyone else, and that the electrics won't be superseded by the motor or battery of the month as without homologation there's nothing to stop the manufacturers constantly updating the components and releasing new versions all year round.
Brings us back to the "good old days" when when you could pay quite a bit more than the price limit for the very best selected cells as there was nothing to tell the difference between them and the standard cells, then having to replace them all in a couple of months as new cells came out that gave a little better performance.
Old 29-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
there is always the chance that brca could apply a rule that all members use the list to be insured (which is possible if it was put forward and voted by the membership) thus changing general rules stipulates the use of list
That would mean I'd have to fit a BRCA approved brushless motor and lipo into my Tamiya Lunchbox, instead of old cells and a 540, to be covered when I go bash on the beach.
Old 29-09-2014

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
My statement is factually correct, if your local club chooses to only allow batteries from the BRCA list, that is a club rule NOT a BRCA rule, and for one, would query the reason for this as by no means does a battery being on the list make it any 'safer' than one not on the list, as, to be transported, they ALL have to be certified to the same NATO regulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
That would mean I'd have to fit a BRCA approved brushless motor and lipo into my Tamiya Lunchbox, instead of old cells and a 540, to be covered when I go bash on the beach.
agreed, but how many non brca members do that without any insurance?
Old 29-09-2014

Lightbulb

Or just buy the gens ace that are allowed by brca and are the same price?
Old 29-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
Or just buy the gens ace that are allowed by brca and are the same price?
+1 for the gens ace
Old 29-09-2014

Quote:
agreed, but how many non brca members do that without any insurance?
Ooooooh, but bashing at the beach, you're not following the General Rules of the BRCA manual, so you are not covered!!!!
Old 29-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Rebel