Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 26-08-2012

Default Return to R/C and THE new Car

Well, after an 2-3 year absence R/C has recalled me in, and obviously I cannot ignore 1/8 electric...

I think it's great that uptake has been strong in the UK, enough to get the national series running certainly, and now with unrestricted LiPo rules too (though I disagree with 4S limits for buggies, an RPM limit would be more appropriate (motor KV x 3.7V x number of cells) for limitation purposes)! I hope the class only gains in popularity.

I was intending to only race 10th buggies, but it seems that's not possible, so here's my new 1/8th effort. It's based on a JQ Products "THE Car" with the Tekno V4 conversion kit - both are fantastic bits of kit, top notch quality, nearly on a level with Xray, and a notch up from Durango.

As for electrics I've gone with:
ESC: Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro - very capable ESC that's more than enough for a buggy, particularly towards its 6S limits where current draw is reduced.
Motor: Thunder Power Z3R-8 1400KV - very well made sensored 8th motor. There's not a great deal written on it, but TP make great stuff, so I'm happy to guinea pig this one...
LiPo: Hyperion G3 EX 4200mAh 6S - my intended race destination runs 20 minute finals, and this should be enough with some careful driving, and appropriate gearing/set up.
Servo: Hi-Tec HS-5565MH - fantastic servo for the outlay, metal geared digital servo that runs at 7.4V and has great statistics: 0.09s/60° & 14kg/cm torque.
I'm running a 7.4V 850mAh receiver pack to aid the MMP (it doesn't have to use its BEC) and I don't require a regulator as all the radio gear takes >=7.4V standard.

Here's the setup:

Enlarge

Enlarge

Enlarge

Bodyshell is a FTW body designed for a Tekno-converted Hot Bodies D8. Fits well, besides the front ridge interfering with the body clips a bit.

Enlarge

Suspension is setup very similar to an 808, so therefore a Losi...

Enlarge

Offset rear diff like a Losi 8ight, and the Tekno conversion puts the centre diff way back, hence the ridiculous front driveshaft. Also note the similarities in Ackerman plate design.

Enlarge

As you can see, I made up a custom radio tray out a couple of bits of carbon, then ordered up a couple of standoffs of the height of the Rx battery - this sandwiches it in nicely and I think looks pretty neat.

I haven't run it yet besides the inevitable "does it work?" runs down the hallway, but I'm intending to get it to a practice session on track as soon as I can/before the summer runs out...
Old 26-08-2012
Mad Member

Car looks really good,.the V4 tekno conversions are really top notch.

Nice to see your return Marvin.
Old 26-08-2012

That looks awesome!!! I absolutely love the look of the Tekno conversion kits!!!
Old 28-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not sure how it is to solder the MM wires but maybe you could go a gauge thicker wire on the install.

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 28-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
Not sure how it is to solder the MM wires but maybe you could go a gauge thicker wire on the install.
That would require taking it apart and removing the wire from the board - it is not easy, and it's not designed for user removal, and trying to fit larger wire isn't going to happen due to the hole size. It's the one issue I have with the MMP over something like a Tekin RX8 with its excellent solder posts.

Thicker wire shouldn't be required. It's 12 AWG Deans wire (I did resolder the board for it - wasn't easy, the solder used didn't like to melt all the way through), which is more than enough for this application. In engineering terms, 12 AWG will do 41A, but that's without any natural airflow, and when it's expected to work for years on end. 12 AWG is fine. Wouldn't want to go any smaller really, but you have to remember that this won't be pulling any more current than a 4.5T brushless motor in a 10th due to the much higher voltage. While power requirements are higher, the tripled voltage divides my current requirement by 3. One of the best reasons for using 6S is for reduced heat/increased efficiency.
Old 04-09-2012

Marvin

Car looks great and a very nice job on the radio try, I also used the Tekno chassis conversion on my HB D8T great kit and well worth the money.

Good luck with your racing.
Old 04-09-2012

Default TP motor

Well your back, nice set up, let me know about the motor and your temps, my second buggy is going to be running 6s, not really had much info on the motor,

jony

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 15-09-2012

You know. I'm usually the first one to find fault in a set-up, but you really did a great job here. I don't know anything about the Motor but report back to us. Going with a small radio battery was smart and helps balance the car. This is absolutely my dream set up for 6s1p. You are absolutely right about 12g being fine, especially with a higher voltage lower amp pack. Perfect battery selection. Looks fabulous, lots of love in this car!