Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 08-03-2014

Default illegal 2.2 wheels ????

At the British winter Open Race, it was said by the BRCA officials

"Drivers are not allowed to use a certain American company’s wheels because they are larger than 2.2inch"

Anyone have a clue what wheel this is ?????????
Old 09-03-2014
Mad Member

Absolute rubbish. The only BRCA rule regarding dimensions is:

23.7 Wheels and tyres must conform as follows:-
No form of metal or plastic spike, tubes or anything similar will be attached to the tyres. Maximum diameter allowed is 90mm front and rear. Only commercially available wheels and tyres may be used.

There is no rule to prevent anyone running a 3" wheel, as long as it is commercially available and the tyre doesn't exceed 90mm overall diameter.

The only argument you can use to ban any manufacturers wheel is if it is not commercially available in the UK.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilli View Post
At the British winter Open Race, it was said by the BRCA officials

"Drivers are not allowed to use a certain American company’s wheels because they are larger than 2.2inch"

Anyone have a clue what wheel this is ?????????
Good point forgot all about that but would be interested in knowing.
Old 09-03-2014

I heard that there was a wheel that they made for the worlds that there is something wrong with, don't know any more. Ask someone that went

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 09-03-2014
Mad Member

There is slightly more to this than what has been mentioned above, what was also explained at the drivers briefing was the following:
Firstly there is no rule, as this has never been required. There is however a rule in the ifmar rule book.
So what was mentioned is that due to one manufacturer the dimensions that ifmar run to will be added to the brca off road. All manufacturers are aware of the dimensions, which is why they make wheels and tyres which all fit on each other's cars/wheels etc.

I know that people have been waiting for the outcome before deciding on what future wheels/tyres they do.
Old 09-03-2014

Who is the manufacture of these wheels?
Old 10-03-2014

I remember guys sanding rim at the worlds. Think it may have been DE Racing rims.
Old 10-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

is it the new AKA style of rim where the tyre bead glues like 1/8 tyres?

edit.
the AKA EVO wheels:
http://www.raceaka.com/110-Buggy-Wheels_c_76.html

http://www.redrc.net/2013/09/aka-evo...es/#more-71776
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
There is slightly more to this than what has been mentioned above, what was also explained at the drivers briefing was the following:
Firstly there is no rule, as this has never been required. There is however a rule in the ifmar rule book.
So what was mentioned is that due to one manufacturer the dimensions that ifmar run to will be added to the brca off road. All manufacturers are aware of the dimensions, which is why they make wheels and tyres which all fit on each other's cars/wheels etc.

I know that people have been waiting for the outcome before deciding on what future wheels/tyres they do.
Bit lost here, Is how I read into it correct? The BRCA at present has no rule, But is going to adopt an IFMAR rule. so whats the big change?(I've not looked up the ifmar rule) are all the wheels we use now going to change spec, or are we suddenly going to fined some wheels are going to be deemed illegal to use?
And whats this certain manufacturer done to make this change needed?

The new AKA wheels make perfect sense if you are gluing US style dirt tyres as you need to get the glue right into the bead with a band on to squeeze it all together as they can be so soft,If you don't do a proper job they will be off rim on track in under a minute! unlike a tight fitting schumacher tyre that only needs a bead of thin glue run round.

reading from the last part of the quoted post, the change must carry some significant changes to say this:
" I know that people have been waiting for the outcome before deciding on what future wheels/tyres they do".

Hmmm????

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 10-03-2014

I find this quite interesting. I know im not an expert tire gluer (excuse spelling) but the really soft holeshots i bought keep coming off the rims. I will try a google, but could you explain please how the new wheels work?
Old 10-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Right here goes, Holeshots can be the devil, with a little sand paper sand bead on rim, degrease, now with the tyre I use old school rallyx method of getting the dremell out and with sanding drum and rough up the bead then clean thoroughly with motor cleaner, fit insert get everything in place on wheel, then fit tyre band to squeeze tyre to rim, then using thick super glue Zap green bottle, or AKA tyre glue etc, lift tyre from rim, apply glue and squeeze getting everything were it should be,tis bit is were the AKA style rim is easier as getting the tyre back into the bead just as you want it before the superglue starts to go can be a ba****d, if you don't get it spot on you have a nasty unbalanced wheel and tyre

with the AKA rallyx style rim you can just lift the bead from the rim slightly apply glue then let tyre band do its work as the tyre should just drop back onto the rim (in theory lol)

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 10-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmog99 View Post
I find this quite interesting. I know im not an expert tire gluer (excuse spelling) but the really soft holeshots i bought keep coming off the rims. I will try a google, but could you explain please how the new wheels work?
The AKA wheels are basically the same as normal buggy wheels, but with the outside beads missing. The tyre is butted up against the inner beads and it makes it easier to get glue between the tyre bead and the wheel.
Old 11-03-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

As this thread has been running for over 2 days, can anybody actually answer which wheels are not illegal, but looks like they are going to be illegal?
Before I loose the will to live would be nice...
Old 11-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
....school rallyx method of getting the dremell out and with sanding drum and rough up the bead (vulcanise)....
A small thing, but at the risk of a kid reading this who's doing science at school, that isn't vulcanisation.

Vulcanisation is the process of adding sulphur bridge between polymer chains to reduce the stickyness of the rubber, not "roughing up a bead". That's called "roughing up a bead" or "Sanding"

I have to deal with enough misconceptions when i teach it, don't want kids reading this and believing it.

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 11-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ahh I stand corrected, It's from when I used to fix punctures as a kid on tractors (20 years ago) we use Vulcanising Cement Fluid, Thats doing a different thing tho, just looked it up and realised were I got my wires crossed but always did find science boring as hell

last post corrected

Now off to join Col at the top of his polly butler pit box,lost the will and going to throw myself off! As I now Can confirm I was crap at science but still no clearer.Is this just a misinterpreted conversation at a race meeting, or a coming rule change effecting what we have and what we may use in the future

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 11-03-2014
Mad Member

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...thread-35.html

The above link will let you know the company in question, will also explain why they are illegal (to use in events which run to ifmar/roar and other members who adopt said dimensions)

Which some have above posted 'they are the same as normal 10th buggy wheels', when clearly you haven't seen them or even read up on them. Always good giving advice or making statements when actually you don't have any idea on the product.
Old 11-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So yes the AKA EVO wheels/tyres as I mentioned/guessed. Why couldn't you just name them?

Also, have the BRCA actually said they are "illegal"?
And its pretty irrelevant here, as the tyre treads and compounds are not what we run.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-03-2014
Mad Member

I will point you in the direction of what is being said, I personally wasn't going to post a companies name. I was making sure the normal mis-leading or incorrect information wasn't given for readers to take away. Also, why didn't you or anyone else google it??? After all what is posted on here has to be true?? Doesn't it???
Old 11-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post

Also, have the BRCA actually said they are "illegal"?
And its pretty irrelevant here, as the tyre treads and compounds are not what we run.
I am sure the brca will have something confirmed very soon with regards to if they will be classed as 'illegal'.
I am also not sure how they become irrelevant?? At the moment tyres are made for 2.2 inch wheels, if the diameter of these wheels is bigger then it effects all.

What should be said is 'would they give any performance increase?'
Old 11-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
I am sure the brca will have something confirmed very soon with regards to if they will be classed as 'illegal'.
I am also not sure how they become irrelevant?? At the moment tyres are made for 2.2 inch wheels, if the diameter of these wheels is bigger then it effects all.

What should be said is 'would they give any performance increase?'
Well schumacher, ballistic buggies, proline and every other wheel manufacturer are not about to start making tyres and wheels to fit those AKA Evo wheels/tyres. They certainly don't have a bunch of product waiting to be sold.
It IS irrelevant here until the major UK market players bring out product that's compatible.
Buggy racers in the UK mostly use Schumacher 2.2 tyres, ballistics in the wet. Our few dirt tracks are Proline affiliated also.
No one uses 1/10 AKA dirt tyres here at race meetings.
Rest assured that if Schumacher made a move to this rim size/tyre fitment/rim, it *would* be BRCA legal.

The performance increase is really in the gluing. Faster, cleaner, easier, etc.
The overall rolling diameter of the tyre is the same. The rim bead is larger, ~2.4", about the same as the current outer lip on regular 2.2" wheels.