Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 02-12-2016

I put 4mm banana plugs on the esc - motor, also 4mm males on the power feed, as my battery is 4mm females.

I put them on the motor/esc for 2 reasons, the first is i can swap it to another car easier and the second, it's easier to swap 2 motor wires over if the motor runs in reverse.

Do you get a voltage/current drop with connectors?

One at a time when cutting battery wires, dead shorts and lipo's don't mix!
Old 02-12-2016
Mad Member

Back in the days of nicd I heard some people used to solder the esc to the battery before each race to avoid the use of plugs due to losing performance
Not sure how they charged them lol, maybe it was BS and certainly not worth the effort for us mortals
Old 03-12-2016

I've never heard of that one, I'm way to impatient for anything like that!
I used to cut the tamiya plugs off and use the banana connectors even back then, but tbh, anything hotter than a silver can and those tamiya connectors melted anyway.

Once I can finish a race meeting, and carry my car back in one piece each time, then I might worry about voltage drops and ohms law.🤔
Old 03-12-2016
Mad Member

yeah not wrecking a car is usually a good days racing
Old 03-12-2016
Mad Member

TBH if I'd been any good at soldering back then I'd have done anything to reduce losses.

In an 8 car heat you could count on at least 2 cars either stopping completely on the last lap, or just getting really really really slow.........

Usually me.
Old 05-12-2016

I used too run with some serious racers back in the day, I'm well into my 40s now and have been racing since the very early 80s, and I do remember the good old days of 1700 nicd, then progressing too nimh, water dipping silver cans, and brushed motors. at one point I do remember it being popular amongst the power obsessed (the very top guys) soldering straight up too batteries. But with modern lipos and the power of motors right now, dumping isn't something that you have to worry about any more. this looks like a really good start up. Never be afraid to ask a question of any sort there are no dumb questions only dumb answers.
Old 01-01-2017

So.....

I started to put it all together tonight and it has not been straight forward.

The servo arms I have are too big, looks like I need a smaller one as I can't get any combination of servo position/arm to work.

The connector for the ESC does not fit the RX I have, everything else does but not that. However it might with the subtle use of a sharp knife to remove the excess casing on it. Hmmmmm.

Not as successful as I had hoped, but it's a race not a sprint!
Old 02-01-2017

Daft question but the speedo connector going to the receiver are you putting it in the right way?
Old 02-01-2017

Default Servos

My tuppence. All modern 2wd will fit a normal size servo. Do not buy a low profile servo unless you like stripping gears and shelling out more money. They are great for Touring cars with enclosed wheels but not for buggies!!!
RC10 Worlds
RC10 B3
Cougar 2's
Topcat
Tamiya DT02 - use as a door stop.
Tamiya TL01 - paper weight.
Tamiya Mini - awesome fun to race

THR - Tudor-Hart Racing - Custom RC products - find us on Facebook.

SHRCCC Committee Member- Track features - design and build.

Returning racer after 25 year break - miss my Optima Mid Custom Special, but not brushed motors & SCE cells.

www.shrccc.co.uk

Old 02-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1972 View Post
Daft question but the speedo connector going to the receiver are you putting it in the right way?
I tried that, the connector has a very small, less than 1mm, guide on the narrow edge which the RX does not have the matching groove for. Pretty sure if I cut it off it will be fine.

Either way I need to get smaller cables anyway. Both the servo and ESC are only an inch away from the RX but have about a foot of cable on them. Will worry about that after I get it all running first.

I am getting there and enjoying the experience after 25 odd years.
Old 02-01-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I tried that, the connector has a very small, less than 1mm, guide on the narrow edge which the RX does not have the matching groove for. Pretty sure if I cut it off it will be fine.

Either way I need to get smaller cables anyway. Both the servo and ESC are only an inch away from the RX but have about a foot of cable on them. Will worry about that after I get it all running first.

I am getting there and enjoying the experience after 25 odd years.
You just trim that bit off. Some receivers have the slot, others don't.
Old 02-01-2017

Just been looking online, can you buy short cables for the ESC-RX? I can't find any, just extenders!

Also, what's the best way to shorten the servo cable? At the connector end or unsolder inside the servo and resolder after resizing it?
Old 02-01-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Just been looking online, can you buy short cables for the ESC-RX? I can't find any, just extenders!

Also, what's the best way to shorten the servo cable? At the connector end or unsolder inside the servo and resolder after resizing it?
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...20servo%20lead

Depends what the servo is, you can take off the bottom of some and solder on a new wire, or cut it down and re-solder. Depends how much you like your warranty as i suspect either way will invalidate it.
Old 02-01-2017

Thanks, I will open it up and make a decision, I thought that was probably the easiest way.

Thanks for the link.
Old 02-01-2017
Mad Member

Tie wraps