Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Caldicot Radio Control Car Club

Old 26-03-2010
Mad Member

Default Good friday racing...who's up for an early start?

Hi all,

I will be running club without Pete and Dave on Friday 2nd April, and since it's a bank holiday thought that I'd go along early to get set up in good time so I can deal with the booking in good time as well.

I then got on to thinking that since I will be off work, a lot of others will be to, so we could actually go in super early and have some extra racing!

So, question is, if I was to open up early, who can get along early with me?

And if you can, how early would you be able to make it?

I'd need a couple of peeps to help with track build ideally, the reward being axtra track time and extra racing for anyone who can make it!

Just let me know and I'll figure out what works
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 26-03-2010

Best i can do is 530pm(old bud!!) Excellent plan though.. What are we talkin about..6 qualifiers and 2 or 3 finalsOh and easter egg prizes
Old 26-03-2010
Mad Member

Not sure on timings as yet, but for an idea, if we did 5 qualifying rounds (5 min race + 2 min gaps) and 2 finals (7 min race + 3 min gaps maybe?), aiming to finish racing at 11:00pm

If we have 5 heats of entry, based on those times we'd need to start racing at 6pm on the dot, and run to the clock the whole night!

People would need to keep on top of their charging mind you, with 2 min gaps it can be close to get a top up on charge all night...so earlier start or 1 less round might give us more breathing space

Don't take that as the plan...it's just a thought at the mo...but you can see the potential

And I think you guys should have separate logins...I can't tell if your older than me or not
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 26-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I can be there whenever the earliest the early person can get there
Old 27-03-2010
Mad Member

I should be there sometime before 4, and told everyone last night to aim for then as a safe time, the hall is booked for us now so all systems go!

Woop woop...more racing...good times
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 29-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

can't we have 5 minute races and a more relaxed night?

Nothing winds me up more than rushing around like a loon on a club night, we are suposed to be the "chilled out" club, not the "come on, get on the line, the race is starting" club that we seem to be moving towards.
Old 29-03-2010
Mad Member

I'm def not up for stressing about timing at any point! Was just running the numbers and ideas through my head to get a feel for what we could do to use the extra time for something, main aim is to get as much track time in as possible...I really don't mind how we do that as long as it's fun

It is fair to say that sometimes we do try to keep things moving...if we don't get 4 rounds of racing in on a regular night then we get the complaints from racers...if we run 4 rounds and leave late we get complaints from the "friendly" neighbour...

I for one don't much like making the 80+ mile round trip (and bridge toll!), use an entire evening up and only get 15 mins track time...and there are people who travel a lot further than me to come over on a Friday as well!!!

It's just finding the balance really isn't it! Just running the usual 5 min heats all night until the time runs out would def be the easiest option...and we may just end up doing that in the end...but people on the other forums have suggested changing the format, and I thought this might be a time to try it?
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 29-03-2010

craig no-one can get anymore relaxed than you lol

Just to let you know I will be there for 4pm.
Old 29-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post
I'm def not up for stressing about timing at any point! Was just running the numbers and ideas through my head to get a feel for what we could do to use the extra time for something, main aim is to get as much track time in as possible...I really don't mind how we do that as long as it's fun

It is fair to say that sometimes we do try to keep things moving...if we don't get 4 rounds of racing in on a regular night then we get the complaints from racers...if we run 4 rounds and leave late we get complaints from the "friendly" neighbour...

I for one don't much like making the 80+ mile round trip (and bridge toll!), use an entire evening up and only get 15 mins track time...and there are people who travel a lot further than me to come over on a Friday as well!!!

It's just finding the balance really isn't it! Just running the usual 5 min heats all night until the time runs out would def be the easiest option...and we may just end up doing that in the end...but people on the other forums have suggested changing the format, and I thought this might be a time to try it?
Tricky one as always andrew..I'm sure its going to be a good night either way..If mr harris had his way we would be running finals at 1am!! Good times
Dave
Old 29-03-2010

If we are running for much longer this Friday, i would like to run both 4wd & 2wd if possible, so im all for more relaxed timings - i break my cars a lot so I need some decent repair time

I have to say i do like it when we start earlier and get at least 3 heats and a final in as Andy says, as i have a 122 mile round trip myself and to get there and say only run for 3 heats or so - which does occasionally happen due to starting late - makes my nights racing a hell of an expensive 15 minutes track time
Old 30-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Even worse when you 'break' your car before the racing starts eh Matt?
Old 30-03-2010

LOL yeah that was fun.... drive all that way, help set out the track, break the car within one lap ( normal for me ) and drive home.

Only consolation was i was able to get home early enough to take the missus out to the cinema
Old 30-03-2010
Mad Member

Matt,

We'll basically be running the usual timings for most part (we've been running 5 min races 2 min gaps for a few months now, so we're all used to that), if we do change anything, it'll only be longer final...probably just the last race/round of the night so we don't have to worry about charging after the longer run.

Running 2 classes is do'able if you have enough chargers...but having watched others doing it it does add to the stress of it all, and with marshalling as well, your never really sat down for long!!!
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 30-03-2010

Hmmm good point Andy, but i was only contemplating it this week due to us getting in earlier and having a potential extra 3 or 4 hours track time, and the thought crossed my mind it might be possible to run 2 classes this Friday relatively stress free. Ish. Sort of. Maybe.

I think i might still give it a go, if i have to drop out of a round or two due to repairing a car then thats the gamble - maybe ill be lucky this week

Or i might have to start up a ' clubnight buggy garage ' with Mike & Pete, whoever's free repairs the cars....
Old 30-03-2010

hoping to be there for 4.30 to help build track etc, wont feel so guilty then when i leave at 9 ish for my 80 mile trip to Carmarthen
Oh & how did Axeman get on with his 1/8th carpet muncher?? aparantly he found some more carpet friendly tyres...is this true or has he been telling me porkies? as the 1/8th foams still on back order
Losi 8ight 2.0 B e...in the making...Completed!!...sold
Caldicot Car Club
GNR Christmas bash winner 2009/2010 lol
Old 31-03-2010

Yes they are the team cheese wheels and tyres!!!!!
Old 31-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr racer View Post
hoping to be there for 4.30 to help build track etc, wont feel so guilty then when i leave at 9 ish for my 80 mile trip to Carmarthen
Oh & how did Axeman get on with his 1/8th carpet muncher?? aparantly he found some more carpet friendly tyres...is this true or has he been telling me porkies? as the 1/8th foams still on back order
Actually Harris found some tyres, Axeman just copied me and then claimed the glory
Old 01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
Actually Harris found some tyres, Axeman just copied me and then claimed the glory
I did tell him you told me to use them!!! craig are you bringing team cheese with you on friday???