Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 20-04-2010

Default which onroad tyres

i have a tc5r running rp30 tyres racing on indoor carpet does the 30 mean they last longer but not as much grip ? as i find i can't keep up with fellow racers would i be better getting 24 or 28 tyres ? if so which makes are best ? thanks
Old 20-04-2010

Sorex tyres are quite good, the 28's are very good on carpet. Those or vtec 28s are good also with Lrp tyre sauce on both.
Old 20-04-2010

I use sorex 24 with medium B insert on carpet on my TC5R, work really well and wear reasonably too! You could try sorex 28 with additive aswell
Old 30-04-2010

thanks guys for info i tryed sorex 28 last night got a extra couple of laps in but was quite warm when finishing 5min heats so will keep a eye on temps
Old 30-04-2010

Another vote for Sorex 28
Old 30-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggy12 View Post
i have a tc5r running rp30 tyres racing on indoor carpet does the 30 mean they last longer but not as much grip ? as i find i can't keep up with fellow racers would i be better getting 24 or 28 tyres ? if so which makes are best ? thanks
the basics are the lower the number the softer the tyre.. try to keep 22 - 30 for indoor & 28 - 36 for outdoor as a ball-park, the RP30's are a good baseline to work from, if you find you get no grip on pretty much any tyre try a set of Carpet Dragon tyres & then work on your set-up making the car a bit firmer (or softer if that is the case) to push the tyres into the track & make them work harder. I'm sure someone at your club will be willing to lend you a set of tyres to try out on your car for a few laps if you ask them nicely.

the thing is there is no answer on what is best for the car it is what is best for your driving style & your chosen set-up, for instance an alteration in the ride-height or the suspension stiffness such as fitting roll-bars or using thicker damper oil can mean all the difference to how the tyres work. I've changed the ride height by 1mm & had to switch from running really soft tyres to rock hard tyres, likewise i could run 2 cars with the same set-up on the same track but each car may have different tyres on as 1 car may perform better than the other, it's the luck of the draw i'm afraid. You should though be able to find a good compromise so for exampe you could perhaps run 27's indoor & find they work well for your car, if that's the case stick with them as your starting guide usually i start with 24's for indoor & 32's for outdoor but if in doubt i give RP30's a go.

if your car rolls over (grip roll), locks up going into corners (seems to stop even when you have power on) or you can hear the tyres squealing try the next number up, however if you car is going around as though it is running on black ice you need softer tyres. RC30's are a good starting point for setting a car up.

as for makes, well LRP/VTEC & Sorex are pretty similar but these are pretty expensive (£25-£30 a set) as these are proper race tyres as used by the pro's & serious club racers, however you may be able to delve through the listing on your favourite auction site & be able to pick up some pre-mounted T27's for less than a tenner a set or find that the cheap Ansmann or Fastrax tyres will work for you if you only do club racing & this may help keep costs down in the process
Old 30-04-2010

Sweep 32 been good on my old Yok and Mission