Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-10-2016

Default Transmitter for 6yr old

As per title,,I am after recommendations for a suitable transmitter for the madbull I am building my 6yr old son.

Cheers

Chris
Old 12-10-2016

My son has this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/15224...7297426&crdt=0

Its good because all the trims and adjusters are covered up. Got mine with a ready to run kit from Axiel but sure you could get them separate.
Old 13-10-2016
Mad Member

Depending on what radio you are after steering wheel or stick .Both of these are great value for money and excellent piece of kit.Comes with all you need and not over budget;

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...l-radio-system

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...2-radio-system
Old 13-10-2016

Whichever one you go for make sure its a wheel controller.
Little hands have trouble with sticks.
Old 13-10-2016

My son is just 9 and struggled to use a wheel transmitter. I bought him one of these and he's getting on really well with it.

http://www.insidelinemodels.com/insi...itter-rx-3ch-p

I bought this over the cheaper model since it has end point adjustment to slow it down a little!
Old 13-10-2016

I really wouldn't bother with the cheap extronix stuff. From experience I found them to be unreliable. My son who's also 6 uses a Sanwa MX-V you get sanwa quality at a good price and the receiver is waterproof so its a winner all round

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331993976248
Old 13-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
Whichever one you go for make sure its a wheel controller.
Little hands have trouble with sticks.
Been using sticks since I was 4. Not everyone gets on with a wheel.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 13-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Been using sticks since I was 4. Not everyone gets on with a wheel.
No offence but wheels probably weren't around when you were 4. I dont get on with a wheel either and started with sticks.
My 6 year olds hands weren't big enough to be able to use sticks and he really struggled so I got him a wheel. He now has no problems controlling his car.
Each to there own but if I was starting again I'd use a wheel as they are more ergonomic.
Old 13-10-2016

As per the above comment it's each to their own. My lad who started racing at eight with a wheel set and didn't really like it so he now uses a stick set. My little girl's seven and uses a wheel.

If you're looking at a wheel set have you given any consideration to the Absima CR3P?
Old 14-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
No offence but wheels probably weren't around when you were 4. I dont get on with a wheel either and started with sticks.
My 6 year olds hands weren't big enough to be able to use sticks and he really struggled so I got him a wheel. He now has no problems controlling his car.
Each to there own but if I was starting again I'd use a wheel as they are more ergonomic.
I can assure you, wheels were around when I started racing but I preferred sticks.

I will concede that finding a stick set that is ergonomically friendly to a child's hands is not easy. Back when I started, Futaba made some very small stick Transmitters that were excellent for me, but nowadays everything is a little big. The smallest is probably a core but even that is big in comparison to what I started with.

Below is what I started with but they don't really make anything this size anymore:
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 14-10-2016

My 5 year old is using the basic stick set from Core RC. The stick length and finish were too long and sore for his wee fingers so I ended up unscrewing the chrome plastic covers and putting two M3 nuts on. He seems to be getting on fine with them but isn't racing yet as he's not confident enough to drive in front of others.

I'm thinking a wheel might be a good set up for him. I always preferred sticks as I could never drive (still can't) with a wheel set up.

Each to their own and it'll all depend on hand size and how used they are to playing the xbox or playstation.
Old 14-10-2016

my two kids started on old futaba attack 27 meg stick sets, half the size and weight of anything modern and fine for learning, now both use slightly more modern 40 meg sticks, ahthough they are not too bad with my 3vc now as long as sticks are set at an angle
Old 15-10-2016
Mad Member

I started in 1990 with a acoms stick radio for one try . I walked past a local model shop and saw a secondhand KO 27 MHz set and never looked back

I can fly model planes and helis on a stick set but not cars guess im a weirdo

each to his own, the scene is predominately wheel now basic stick set are not as easy to find top end stuff yes cheap no

good luck either way its better than sitting in front of the telly/xbox

regards dave
Old 15-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Given how much more common and generally better value for money wheel sets are unless you have a really good reason not to I'd advise one for your son even if you personally prefer sticks. After all it's supposed to be his radio not yours!

My son's (4 & 6) use these cheap Hobby king Quanum radios http://http://www.hobbyking.com/hobb...Rx_System.html
They aren't very sophisticated but have been reliable so far, and if they do break them I won't cry because they cost so little. Most importantly they are light, with small hand grips (they use AAA batteries instead of AA) and simple easy to use controls.When they are older I'll get them something better but for now they are perfect

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)

Last edited by Si Coe; 15-10-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 20-10-2016

My son is 5, and I can recommend the budget friendly Hobbyking wheels or if you are wanting something better for racing with a faster response and accuracy(but more pricey), I can recommend the Spektrum Dx4S with the optional smaller grip fitted. My son has just switched to a Sanwa Mts and although we have only just got it, he loves it. It is great for smaller hands, and very fast and accurate. Smd Spire Models had these on offer, can't recommend enough.

The big difference with sticks is that it tends to be a lot more expensive to get a decent set. Personally I prefer sticks, my son can drive with either, but prefers the wheel. Feel free to message me if you have any questions , my son has used all the sets I mentioned.

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D
ae RC10 Team Car (original black tub version)
Sanwa - Reedy - Savox - Hobbywing - Centro - THR

If I have any stuff for sale you will find it here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/duncanglas...1&_ipg=&_from=