Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 13-04-2006
Administrator

Bah you guys with your car mods.. i have carbon fibre, a big block of alloy, delrin and some thick polycarbonate at home, all just waiting for me to have the time to make a car.. sigh..
Old 13-04-2006
Mad Member

Pull your finger out then jimmy i guess the current reviews should be done soon so you may have a bit of time.
Old 13-04-2006
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer
Pull your finger out then jimmy i guess the current reviews should be done soon so you may have a bit of time.
Maybe not if Vicky has anything to do with it, I think Jimmy has possibly played his "DIY dodging" joker card a time too many
Old 13-04-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

im still trying to get parts im afraid! no one wants to give up there bk1 parts

youve given me an idea however.. i need some front shock towers for spares.. any atmoic bling ones avaliable?

again.. any one with a bk1 gear box, pivot blocks and mf2 hubs? give me an email!
Old 13-04-2006
Mad Member

Drop me a PM or email with what you are after and i will have a look.

Btw found a part so you can use a Bk2 front end but bolt it onto flat carbon fibre saves hacking a chassis etc.
Old 13-04-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

oooh

my b4 chassis mod hasnt taken off the ground, i found out about the x-6 and it made my design redundant

sending pm..
Old 13-04-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
I'd rather just buy direct, the use of importers/distributers locally often just means the British public end up paying more for the product than others around the globe
How we can have a situation whereby its possible to order abroad, pay international air mail shipping and UK duty/VAT , but still make savings often over 25% ??
Thats what I meant when I mentioned getting screwed over....
Old 03-05-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Talking

I ordeed an X-6 from Chaz (x-6 fella at X-factory) in the states and I too was passed to Lesro Models. I spoke to a chap there who assured me it would be as cheap if not cheaper than buying direct from Chaz in the states. So i'm ok with that.

I'm interested to see how it goes, I can't help thinking there's a good reason why traditioanlly the motor has being hung out of the back of 2wd buggies !

Anyhow, all I need now is a B4 for the conversion, cheap B4 anyone ?
Old 03-05-2006
Administrator

You like the toys don't you andy! You'll be bringing so many cars to a regional you really wont know what to do with yourself

I'm really looking forward to seeing the car go though I'm like you andy, not seen a mid motor 2wd go before...
Apart from that is for my Kyosho Raider, that had a mid motor and i remember how impossible it was to set off on the driveway when I was a kid, it would just spin and spin!
Old 03-05-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Jimmy.

Back in the day, I remember tamiya brought out a front wheel drive off roader. I remember seeing a few run at Batley's Hare and Hounds track and they were absolutley rubbish. Myabe a car with both the motor and cells hanging out the back is the way to go ?

I think the B4 is far and away the best car i've ever driven, so the x-6 conversion will have to be something special. The thing with the B4 is it just goes so well without loads of tinkering, which is nice for us 'casual' racers. I hope the x-6 just goes well 'out of the box' too.

Any ideas where the best place to get a new B4 is, as I don't want to be without one in case the x-6 conversion isn't to my liking !
Old 03-05-2006
Super Moderator

B4's seem to go cheap on Ebay at the moment, Losi's are fetching the £'s at the moment.

G
Old 03-05-2006
Administrator

Are you thinking of the Kyosho Maxxum FF ? that was a front wheel drive buggy.

I definately agree about the B4, it just goes well all the time.
Old 03-05-2006
Admin

Andy, I don't see why the X6 can't be converted straight back to a B4 if you dont like it, you could just sell on the conversion bits.
Old 03-05-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

didnt someone like MIP, RPM or Trinity try this back in like '94 - '95 ish with a conversion kit for the original rc10? or it could of been a schumacher conversion actually... wish i hadnt chucked all those old RC mags now :-(

It was deffinetly either the cougar 2 or the rc10, i think they went fairly well, though i never saw one.
Old 03-05-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

Was none of those three manufacturers but was deffo the RC10...
It was a graphite conversion chassis made by TEKIN...
heres a link to one i found on tamiya club..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/trades_mod...=19582&id=3729

he also has the hydra-drive conversion for the sleath tranny... remeber that??
Old 03-05-2006

mip did the 4wd conversion for the rc10 was actually quite good i had a play with one not as good as a dedicated 4wd but a worthwile effort.

the xxx is selling at a premium at the moment because they need the gearbox and a few other bits to modify the bk2
Old 03-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Tekin did indeed make a conversion for the RC10, also, a company called Fabiix made a mid motor conversion for the Cougar 95/2000.
Old 03-05-2006
Mad Member

I'll have a go here at explaining the concepts. Turns out The New Math will probably be better on your side of the pond than ours.

Note that both major manufacturers of off-road buggies are from Southern California.

Back in the day we had what can only be called rock hard tires. There are two major tire manufacturers in the US, Losi and Pro-Line. Their silver and M-2 compounds, hard by today's standards, are far softer than anything from back then. Losi's red & pink, and the M-3, are far softer yet.

Couple the modern soft tire with the modern foams and you've got something that mirrors advancements in real race car tires over the last 20 years.

At the same time, US tracks have changed dramatically. Back in the day most off-road tracks were very soft loamy or sandy surfaces. Between the very soft tracks and very hard tires, forward traction was difficult to obtain, so the motor was moved to behind the rear sheels to act like a lever pushing the rear wheels down into the ground. And it worked -- the rear motor buggy has loads of forward bite.

The problem is that the rear motor, being heavy, likes to proceed the rest of the car through a corner. It tends to stay tucked in at low speed, but, as corner speed increases, it has a nasty habit of jumping around suddenly. Driving a rear-motor buggy is an exercise in balancing on the edge of a cliff.

U.S. tracks have changed greatly to the point that most of the major races (Cactus Classic, Losi race, Hot Rod Shoot-Out) are contested on blue groove tracks. These tracks are hard as rocks and have a layer of rubber on them that makes them even stickier. Many U.S. indoor tracks, made of topsoil, are also very high traction compared to the sandy tracks of old.

The blue groove tracks are all swept or blown with leaf blowers to make sure there's no dust at all. The indoor tracks are watered -- solid surface with no dust. Even a "loose" outdoor track, R/C Madness where the ROAR Mod Nats were held last summer was watered literally every 7 minutes to keep the dust down as much as possible.

We posited that the rear motor is no longer needed for forward bite -- the combination of new tires and modern tracks gives all the traction needed. In fact, in the U.S. you've sometimes got to baby the throttle on the straight or else, with a rear-motor car, you'll loose time doing wheelies. Indeed, the X - 6 accelerates just as well on our tracks as any other car, and no wheelies -- just punch it! Should do the same on your tracks...

Cornering, handling bumps, and flying jumps? That's where she shines. Far more predictable. Much easier to drive fast. No more unexpected spins because you've fallen off the cliff. It cruises through whoops and washboards instead of bucking like a bronco. And super stable in the air. It's all about weight distribution...

Unfortunately we lost the video from the X Factory Challenge buggy race. There, as Ryan Cavalieri worked his tail off trying to pass Greg, you'll just have to take my word for it that it was obvious the X - 6 was the fastest thing on the track. In qualifying on Saturday Greg turned the fastest laps we saw for the entire week, with a 38.4 & 38.7. We saw nothing faster than 38.8. And we're still working on set-up.
Old 22-05-2006
Mad Member

Lots of new photos and a story now up at www.2wdrc.com showing Paul building the first production prototype molded chassis X - 6. Everything fits correctly and the on-track results are that the chassis is strong.

Spots in the first 300 are almost gone.

If all continues according to plan, we'll ship production proto cars to Dan & Chris late next week, and all you guys can see them for yourselves. At least you'll get to see the toe-in bar and back of the wing... LOL
Old 22-05-2006
Administrator

Great stuff Chazz.. What will be proto / production on the cars the likes of chris and dan will be running ? will there be gearboxes, cell straps etc? ?

I think I'll meet up with Chris once hes got it built for a few exclusive shots