Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-04-2010

Hey Welshy, I pm'd Aaron a few days ago for the bodies and he didn't bother to respond. Are you sure you want to vouche for this person?
Old 09-04-2010

I just got the message at 1:17 p.m. PST today! A little over 3 hours ago. So I would say the answer to your question would be yes!!
Old 10-04-2010

Iso help!!! I think I upset Aaron
Old 10-04-2010

Not so much! Just a little confused as to why there is not a notification system in place for the message board.

Aaron
Old 10-04-2010

Hey Welshy what do you think the chances are that I can put together a zxs like yours? Can I find the parts?
Old 10-04-2010

Default Your ZX-R you regret selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimdapogs View Post
Hey guys,
I'm hoping you can help me ID this.

I really regret selling my ZX-R, so I've been looking for one.

Thanks in advance!
You scored big! I PROMISE to take care of your Lazer ZX-R. Where did you find this ??Garage sale?Hobby shop? I hope you are well.PM me for anything. Have a good day.
Old 10-04-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth898 View Post
Hey Welshy, I pm'd Aaron a few days ago for the bodies and he didn't bother to respond. Are you sure you want to vouche for this person?
Aaron is a good friend of mine and doesnt mess around and will always vouch for him. Dont forget he lives acoss the pond so is on a totally different timeline so just be patient and he will respond
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 10-04-2010

Quote:
Hey Welshy what do you think the chances are that I can put together a zxs like yours? Can I find the parts?
I really doubt you will find the parts as i and iso have pretty much everything that was available. However i am currently selling my collection and already have a buyer for one zxs which will hopefully be going in a week if the poxy uj pin and wheel hex appears in the post and that just leaves the only unused zxs prototype buggy which i will be selling but if your interested its going for £500 gbp and postage to your door is extra.
Answer UK team driver
Old 10-04-2010

Your right he is a good guy, he's my southern neighbor....just like USA vs CANADA hockey Iso,were was SWEDEN......I remember, they were cleaning our locker room
Old 10-04-2010
Mad Member

Moth i was going to say that i could provide the parts for the zxs but ....then you taunted me .....hm ...

now i just dont know ....

Yeah i can get the parts for you for the zxs but first of all it aint cheap due to there alot of parts neaded...

pm me.

mvh isobarik
Old 10-04-2010

Personally i know what will break and there are none around so unless you have deep pockets to have special items machined out of alloy then dont run it as it breaks easily due to kyosho never completing development and parts being stupidly fragile. Yes im the only person still racing one but ive carried the development amd my car is 90 percent different but the spares are one off items that ive had made for me.

Chassis, shock towers, gearboxes, diff gears, layshaft gears, bodyshell, gearcover,steering plastic parts, pivot blocks, lipo tray and theres more. Plastic items are still being developed but the way the gearboxes are designed the molds we make dont last long and back to redevelop another new one which takes a long time to make and costs as well which isnt cheap. I also had a one off alloy rear shock tower mount made by my friend Manolis from Greece, but that would cost close to 60 gbp for one and he also made me an alloy front gearbox which is a work of art and thats close to 200 gbp and will only use at for big jump events.
Answer UK team driver
Old 10-04-2010
Mad Member

Yeah but there are so many small parts that you dont think of that both you and I have made different solutions.

And all the screws and steering and turnbuckles ....and so on and on and on ......thats why my build has taken so long.

Always some small part that you dont think of that is missing.

but then again the hunt is so fun.......
Moth try to locate the LAW -20.1 first after that all things gets easier, it was that for me anyway.

mvh Isobarik
Old 10-04-2010

Lambachee on ebay had a nib for sale but I missed it my a couple of weeks, and from what you and welshey have said so far I'm out. I don't understand why Kyosho doesn't do what Tamiya did with the re-release's?
Old 10-04-2010

Quote:
Lambachee on ebay had a nib for sale but I missed it my a couple of weeks, and from what you and welshey have said so far I'm out. I don't understand why Kyosho doesn't do what Tamiya did with the re-release's?
This car was only released in japan, 300 single chassis with a lot of zxr parts, losi shocks, yokomo wheel adaptors and wheels and 200 three piece chassis and roughly ten protos. The amount of spares sold was only enough for that amount so explains why spares are so scarce but a rerelease wont happen as the cost will be more than what the current zxs used models are being sold for. It was a design excersise and a show off excercise.
Answer UK team driver
Old 11-04-2010

Hello to everyone in this ZXR oople club.The ZXR was the car I admired when I got my first real rc car, a Lazer Alpha in 1993.That Alpha was gradually updated with ZXR parts and homemade parts and it still holds a special place in my mind.My friend James (thank you for your kind words and hospitality) and his real support for the Lazer line all the way back to the radiocontrolzone forums in the past decade were the ones that pushed be back to spending time and countless hours on drawings of alternative designs with the Lazer.

Ok enough with history and into the now.I decided to run my project ZXR in this years Petit race.I thought that on carpet the car will be pretty good.My car ,photos of which you can see here:http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/Petit2010/) has newly designed alloy bulkheads ,front shock tower,chassis with built in 10 degree kick-up ,new front upper deck and camber link mount and alloy center top deck/motor mount. Separate sidepods bolted on the main chassis carry the battery on the right (which I used in one sided NiMH config at Petit) and the electronics on the left.

The car turned in greatly as i was trying to remove steering sensitivity throughout the event but needed some more work in the front end to make it perfect.Simon kindly offered some alternative steering blocks but didnt have the time to try them and though I could remove some rows of pins on the front tires I was looking for clues on design changes/tuning options I could incorporate in the future without masking any handling deficiencies. The car changed direction rapidly (and to my view faster than rear sadle pack current cars) as expected with that layout but was harder to get back to shape if you broke the rear end loose (e.g. in the small straight leading into the hairpin in front of the rostrum ).I smashed the car sometimes and at one point I thought that it was quite serious coming down from the rostrum in one of the qualifiers.The front wishbones moved enough for the hingepins to come out but I just put everything back together and continued.The only thing that broke was the steering bellcrank that connects to the servo but luckily James had the optional Kyosho blue one that is a definite improvement in flex and strength terms over the standard black one.

If anyone needs parts made for the car identical to what I used or based on other ideas,feel free to pm me.The front ZXS bulkheads made for James came out more expensive due to the need to fit the standard ZXS shock tower and chassis.I can do something similar to what I did with my ZXR for the ZXS more affordably, if you are willing to use a newly designed chassis and shock tower (which I anyway think that would benefit from being reworked)

Optional Parts & Car kits
Old 11-04-2010
Mad Member

Skidrow is that taken from the band ???

how much would an original alu zxs gearbox land on ???

mvh Isobarik
Old 11-04-2010

Is this manolis? If not then apologies for not remembering you as i was quite unwell with a kidney infection and was exhausted and having issues with my car as i kept breaking it and had to work out why this was happening. Anyway if manolis then you missed out that the small set up changes i advised you tried and worked well and you did rather well in qualifying. Funny that i just emailed you, small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
Hello to everyone in this ZXR oople club.The ZXR was the car I admired when I got my first real rc car, a Lazer Alpha in 1993.That Alpha was gradually updated with ZXR parts and homemade parts and it still holds a special place in my mind.My friend James (thank you for your kind words and hospitality) and his real support for the Lazer line all the way back to the radiocontrolzone forums in the past decade were the ones that pushed be back to spending time and countless hours on drawings of alternative designs with the Lazer.

Ok enough with history and into the now.I decided to run my project ZXR in this years Petit race.I thought that on carpet the car will be pretty good.My car ,photos of which you can see here:http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/Petit2010/) has newly designed alloy bulkheads ,front shock tower,chassis with built in 10 degree kick-up ,new front upper deck and camber link mount and alloy center top deck/motor mount. Separate sidepods bolted on the main chassis carry the battery on the right (which I used in one sided NiMH config at Petit) and the electronics on the left.

The car turned in greatly as i was trying to remove steering sensitivity throughout the event but needed some more work in the front end to make it perfect.Simon kindly offered some alternative steering blocks but didnt have the time to try them and though I could remove some rows of pins on the front tires I was looking for clues on design changes/tuning options I could incorporate in the future without masking any handling deficiencies. The car changed direction rapidly (and to my view faster than rear sadle pack current cars) as expected with that layout but was harder to get back to shape if you broke the rear end loose (e.g. in the small straight leading into the hairpin in front of the rostrum ).I smashed the car sometimes and at one point I thought that it was quite serious coming down from the rostrum in one of the qualifiers.The front wishbones moved enough for the hingepins to come out but I just put everything back together and continued.The only thing that broke was the steering bellcrank that connects to the servo but luckily James had the optional Kyosho blue one that is a definite improvement in flex and strength terms over the standard black one.

If anyone needs parts made for the car identical to what I used or based on other ideas,feel free to pm me.The front ZXS bulkheads made for James came out more expensive due to the need to fit the standard ZXS shock tower and chassis.I can do something similar to what I did with my ZXR for the ZXS more affordably, if you are willing to use a newly designed chassis and shock tower (which I anyway think that would benefit from being reworked)
Answer UK team driver
Old 11-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post

Mmmm the only "Lazer like" pictures that I can see in your link are the Manolis one .... so I think that you are Manolis !!!

If I remember right you also came in one of our indoor races in Italy, held last year in Casalecchio near Bologna .... the world is really little !!!

The last month we raced the Italian indoor championship in the same location and it was a really nice event !

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWT0ls0KiX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlOjLCE4HY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUfZMey-P6g

Photos:
http://www.photo-r.it/reportage.asp?gallery=32
http://www.photo-r.it/reportage.asp?gallery=33

Nice to have a guy like you here.

Bye
Ema
Old 12-04-2010
Mad Member

Welsh i got some discount on some shocks i bought from en oople member due to being as "mad" as welshy regarding the lazer series of cars so i guess...thanks

sorry should be "as mad as welshy"

mvh isobarik

Last edited by isobarik; 12-04-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-04-2010

Iso,

Im lost, are they saying that because I made them they sold them cheaper to you??? Thats funny if that is correct but if not then who was it that sold it to you?
Answer UK team driver