Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 29-09-2013

Default Customer choice

Hi there
This may cause a few comments but as a modeller sometimes it seems that we race or fly just what the manufactures want us to do.
as most people I think stick with a model brand once we get in to the hobby be it what ever branch, cars, helicopters etc.
So in this case prompted by the potential release of a belt driven two wheel drive buggy from Schumacher I am asking is this what we want? first question is will it make my lap times faster and so on.

So what would you like Schumacher to do, maker a better shock absorber that does not leak or has the plating come off the shaft that sort of thing. and over to you.
Old 29-09-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

hmmm sour grapes or something?

my shocks don't leak, and the plating has not come off em,
but then I can build model kits!
Old 29-09-2013
Mad Member

I know there's someone who would like schumacher to not put pre drilled holes in they're shell lol
Old 29-09-2013
Mad Member

Also this would not be the first belt drive 2wd from Schumacher !
I'm a little older and can remember owning and racing them.

But aren't you getting ahead of yourself here, the car in question was a prototype one off and may never hit the production line..
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 29-09-2013
Mad Member

It's a free market. Suppliers can make what they like, and buyers can buy what they like - even more so now that you can (almost) buy anything from anywhere in the world. Manufacturer's find it hard to make us buy anything, or choose any particular type or class of model.

It's possible to follow one manufacturer only if they make what you want. AS this is a Schumacher thread I can say that where their range is concerned there is no 12th car do I can only use some of their products (GT12, hardware, etc.) and not all.

I'd like Schumacher to keep doing what they are doing judging by the quality of the GT12 I bought. They can choose to release anything they want to, but if I don't want it, or like it, I wont's buy it. What else are you expecting them to do?
Old 29-09-2013

Arrow

I would say look at the bigger picture more and go back 10 years and look how the cars have evolved instead of looking from release to release.

Regarding the shocks you can get harder o rings that cut down on leakage but aren't going to be as smooth as the blue ones

Then again I supposed its how often you rebuild etc aswell. Shock shaft coating will wear but in my experience it takes a very long time and is a major moving part.
Old 29-09-2013

First this is not just a slag off post or gripe, I like my Schumacher SV2 and like to think that it is a British car and so on.

I think it is great how the diff comes out and the how it drives and loads of other things about the car, just thought it would useful for guys to say would it not be good if say there was an option for plastic shock towers for a beginner to use or offering a 12mm hex drive which is what they have done and following that idea what about a upgrade kit of part to change my SV2 to hex drive.
Old 29-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARB View Post
Hi there
This may cause a few comments but as a modeller sometimes it seems that we race or fly just what the manufactures want us to do.
as most people I think stick with a model brand once we get in to the hobby be it what ever branch, cars, helicopters etc.
So in this case prompted by the potential release of a belt driven two wheel drive buggy from Schumacher I am asking is this what we want?
The only ones sticking with one make is because they like that make. I can't think of anyone who isn't sponsored who would stick with the same make of car if they think another car is better. The manufacturers don't tell racers what to use, the racers tell the manufacturers what they want by buying what they want to race.

If you already have a Schumacher/Kyosho/Associated/etc buggy that you are happy with, when they bring out a new car you are not forced to buy it and replace the one you already have. If Schumacher release a belt drive 2wd, so what? If it's faster people will buy it, if not they will buy something else; either one of the other Cougars or a car from another manufacturer.

To answer your question, if you race on high grip astro then yes, a mid motored belt or shaft drive 2wd buggy it is what you want. That's why racers have been using converted 4wds.

If you have a gripe with Schumacher because of the plating on the shock shafts then if it flaked off when building it or shortly after surely that's a quality control issue and you should have been in contact with them, I'm sure they would like to know if they have a problem. If it has worn off over time and you think it should last longer, then either buy another make of shock shaft or shocks, or another make of car.

As for leaking shocks, every make of shock will leak. The slightest nick on an o-ring, the smallest difference in manufacturing tolerance will make them leak. If you have damaged shock shafts they will always leak, new shafts and o-rings will fix it permanently and cheaply
Old 29-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The only reason I can think of for doggedly sticking to one brand is compatibility. This can take many levels from using the same parts down to more basic stuff as using imperial/metric screws. Associated drivers often have both a B/C4.1 and a B44 because they need imperial tools for both.

However, in 2013 most cars are metric, and aside from stuff like shock bodies etc most cars share very few parts. So there is little reason to stick with the same brand - if you do its normally because you like how their cars work. If you don't you need to move brands!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 01-10-2013

Lightbulb

I guess its nice to have a wishlist so here is mine but first of all i just wanna be clear that i am not bitching about the car nor the company. I state my observation.
I has always been a long time dream to own a schumacher when i 1st saw one some 25+ yrs ago but could not afford it and now that i can, i choose to race it even though there is absolutely zero support for the brand where i'm from so i buy 2 cars, one for spares. The stuff is pricey and the quality is ok. Would be nice if the prices came down abit.... Yokomo's quality is top notch n quite abit cheaper too. Regardless, i dont see myself changing cars anytime soon cause i really like the sv2. Anyways... Here goes...

1. Composite bucket chassis so i can do away with the undertray (used to love it cause its so old school but now that i am a proud owner of an sv2, the undertray and the rear bumper are additional running cost). Also, with a composite chassis, the chassis is either straight or its broken, its never warped or bent. Then again, it may not drive as well as it does with a composite. I dunno... Probably has some research into it and thats why schumacher went with an alloy chassis.

2. Ball cups like the Mi5 where you can unscrew the cup and ball link off so you dont always have to pop is out when you need to do somethg. I think it loosens everytime you pop it. I know you can swop it for the Mi5 cups but it would be nice to have them in the kit.

3. Well... The shocks seem to be abit of a touchy subject but to be honest... The shocks do feel like a lesser quality than say yokomo. I've had a bmax2mr and the shocks are very good... Do not leak outta the box and very plush. With the sv2, you need to buy the upgraded rings or use another brand which i have had alot of success with. Also, i thk because of the recessed slot fothe the pistons to sit on the e-clip, the pistons rest flat on the bottom of the shock when fully extended and creates a suction resulting in an initial resistance to movement. I know quite afew guys have put in a thin washer to prevent this. I agree the shock coating has room for improvement. Having said all that, the shocks perform as they should and the car is a very very good drive.

Thats it!! Please dont flame me
Old 01-10-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Just for info on the pistons - if you put it with the recess to the top, then you don't create that vacuum / stiction at the bottom!

You point on composite chassis always being the same / straight isn't true either tbh. Ask anyone that's "been around a while" and run a B4 for any length of time, and they'll tell you that every chassis is different. I was always happy with my car, but decided to replace the chassis as it was getting on a bit. After that I had massive understeer - until I put the old one back on and guess what, steering came back! I then snapped that chassis in half and Jimmy got a nice picture of it in a race report many years back - but that's another story! There are positives to moulded chassis for sure, but not necessarily as you've mentioned. Schumacher are generally going down the moulded side pod route like many other manufactures are now.
Old 01-10-2013

I think I know where you're coming from with your post, but Im sure Schumacher have plenty of research and development to back up their rationale for various upgrades etc. Perhaps they will take feedback onboard if you contact them?

Im sure the main drive behind most new releases will be about innovation, evolution and most importantly making money to stay afloat.

I personally like the fact they are a British based company, and they also hold a certain prestige for me from back in the 80's when that CAT's were spanking my Optima Mid!
Old 02-10-2013

Thanks for the enlightening replies guys. *thumbs up*

Matt, that thought did cross my mind but being my anal self, i just had to follow the manual, haha. Anyway, if this is an issue then it would be nice if the manual was changed or a side note included. Keeps newbies like me from having to do trial n error or go through forums to find a fix...and wonder if i put the shocks together wrong or my kit was abit defective. So... Maybe schumacher has gone through enough research to say that its not an issue at all.
Thanks for the composite chassis thing... I had the wrong impression that composites do not warp.

Verde, totally agree with the prestige thing about this company. They are really in a class of their own.
Old 02-10-2013

I remember back in the day of RC10 and the grasshopper, a young lad rolled up to my club called Richard Isherwood, he had a fangled new gadget from schumacher that had a rubberband as it's driveshaft, it'll never take off we said.

Guess what....

That being said, I did have a shock leak also at my club just popped open, weird eh.

Not done it since, mind.
Associated RC10 B4 ( project )
Associated RC10 B4.2 (arrived)
Yokomo Bmax2 ( For Sale )

Orion R10 Pro 160
Orion R10 Pro 90A
Reventon Pro
Radios M12 and Spektrum
Real world car Merc E350 Barge
Old 02-10-2013

I currently run a SV2 and if the Catougar came out as the next 2WD from Schumacher I would upgrade.
I race on high grip surfaces and do no have a DB1/2 budget so it makes sense.
Also I like to buy British..

Last edited by jrenton; 02-10-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo