Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 20-11-2009

Default LiPo Fitment - Touring Cars

Which of the current crop of popular touring cars are best suited to the fitment of LiPos (up to 23mm high - not just TP3200/3600 size). Are there any that won't fit larger Lipos?

Particularly interested in Xray T2'009, Mi3.5/4, HB Cyclone TC, TRF415-6, TC5.

Not sure if I want to buy a new T3 or Mi4LP - would rather buy a good used chassis...
Old 20-11-2009

Tamiya 415 is a bit limited on Li-Po size, and Mi3.5 can struggle with bullet connector Li-Po's. I think the rest are pretty fine, esp if the 009 has the original Li-Po fitment kit.

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 20-11-2009
Mad Member

Since the new 1350g weight limit means you need to hang the LiPo out off the side of the chassis for balance, fitment is no more a problem for the old chassis than it is for the new chassis!

For reference, my TOP Photon is balanced with the cells a colossal 16mm outboard from the standard slots, no extra ballast. I do run relatively heavy electrics though.
Old 20-11-2009

I think that just goes to show how much it depends on the setup you have. I have a TOP Photon same as Sosidge but my Li-po is only 2mm past the edge of the chassis to balance at 1350g.

Your best bet is to go to a club with your battery in hand and ask some people if you can check if it fits.

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 13-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Well ive got a hot bodies moore edition and i got fibre lyte to redesign the top deck and make me a battery strap that attaches onto associated B44 battery posts for me so i could fit a platic tray over the nimh cell holes, just drilled two countersunk holes and fits perfectly. I have lipo saddle packs and fit perfectly. If you want a piccy pm me your email address
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 13-12-2009

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole_MH
Thumbs up TRF416WE

I have just acquired a TRF416WE and can fit 5400, 45C lipos no problem, the bulkhead and top deck is even perfectly shaped for using 4mm connectors without a problem.

The 415 is a bit difficult for lipo as the rear bulkhead is shaped to hold nimh securely, the way round this is of course to 'file' the rounded edges off the bulkhead.

I have also had no problems fitting larger lipos in an MI3 or my HB Cyclone WCE.

Corally RDX and AE TC5 were useless at securing lipos mainly due to the older design battery bars rather than using tape to hold the cells in place.

Of the cars I have mentioned, I can fully recommend the TRF416WE, best car I have used in over 20 years of racing RC Cars.
Old 13-12-2009

i run a tc5 with reedy 5000mh lipos(the older ones with the fly leads) and they fit perfectly(just used a longer screw to attach the battery strap).if you are runing lipos with humps on the bottom then its easy enough to fit them with no modification.if you are using lipos with flat undersides you can get a battery cradle from ae or diggity designs.the rear top plate can sometimes block the connector(cradle also solves this)
Old 21-12-2009

Just to say, the TC5 fits quite a few Lipo's perfectly. I use Core RC's and Demon 5000's and have not had any issues at all.

I have however, had to secure the balance lead with electrical tape to stop it rubbing on the top deck....

I use weights on the underside of the lipo's to keep them in place, then secure with battery tape. Not one incident to date, and I crash hard!!
Old 22-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Mi4 and Mi4 LP is suitable for all lipos (maybe even for 3s lol) without any problems.
Old 07-01-2010

what about an older TA05 chassis can this fit the higher lipo hardcases (5000 for example) ?
Old 13-01-2010

I accept with information:The 415 is a bit difficult for lipo as the rear bulkhead is shaped to hold nimh securely, the way round this is of course to 'file' the rounded edges off the bulkhead.
Old 13-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carborush View Post
what about an older TA05 chassis can this fit the higher lipo hardcases (5000 for example) ?
no problem, no topdeck to clear.
Old 14-01-2010
oOple Advertiser

Using a Demon 5000 pack here's what I've found
Xray T2r/007: File the bulkhead so the battery fits and shim the top deck up
Xray 008/9: Battery fits in using the lipo balance kit with no problem, although you may have a small issue if the pack has humps
Top Photon: Same placement as 008/9, it fits with a small overhang off the edge off the chassis

I believe the Mi4LP, TC5R, 416 have no issues either from what I've seen, although I've not run them

If you use something like an Orion 3800 than there's no issues at all as it's not as high as the 5000 pack mentioned above.
Old 14-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
no problem, no topdeck to clear.
yes but what about the higher casing of the 5000 case in a TA05 chassis ?
even with the normal nimh pack it just fits underneed the battery strap
any higher is not possible without changing the default fixtures...

anyone has any experience with this ?
Old 01-02-2010

I fitted a 5000 in my TA05 Ifs - I just unscrewed the battery posts a few times to raise them up. After this no probs at all.
Old 02-02-2010

I run a TRF415MSX & the only LiPo i can find to fit is the Team Orion Carbon spec & it has to be inserted at an angle to get it under the bulkhead, mainly because the rear bulkhead is shaped for cells so a brick type LiPo won't fit & you need one with a recess in the top. The CoreRC/Yeah racing LiPo's come with recesses so will go under the bulkhead, but the connector wires stick out the back & depending which way round you insert the battery the wires prevent it going past the rear bulkhead or the wires will get in the way of the steering linkage if you rotate it the other way.

I'm on the lookout to see if the Japanese spec TRF415 chassis bulkheads & top-deck will fit onto the normal spec chassis tray because the Japanese spec 415's are designed to run regular 7.2v NiCad/NimH stick-packs so should accomodate a Lipo much easier.

I've seen a few cars running LiPo's (including the older TRF415's which will take LiPo's easier) that have had the Schumacher Mi2 battery tray fitted as this seems to be a good solution as the tray more or less clamps the battery down & the cells/ LiPo sits more on the chassis than into it, plus it's only a couple of small bolts holding the battery tray on to the car.