Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 28-10-2010
Mad Member

Default X6 droop problem

Hope someone can help a new family member

I have finished building my new X6 EC kit and I notice that the drive shafts are virtually dropping out of the drive cup! I am running AE V2 shocks but they are the same length as the recommended Ellis setup (90.9mm, based on centre of fixing top and bottom).

Reading the Ellis setup sheet, it says he ran the XF5660 "long" axles. I understand the EC kit comes with the 5661 axles (as part of the 5800 drive shaft) which are slightly shorter?

Does this account for my issue and if so, do I just solve it by using internal spacers, say 2-3mm?
Old 28-10-2010
Mad Member

When I swapped from the BK2 Long axles to the proper Xfactory ones I found the driveshafts were very close to the edge and I had to limit the shocks a little more, but the new axles make it so on full compression with Espeeds low the bone does not foul the diff nut as it did with the BK2's so its a bit of a compromise really but they do work very well. Try a 1mm shim to start with, I found a tiny spacer can make a big difference to droop.

Clown
Old 28-10-2010
#1 ZX5 fan

The plunge is designed that when limited so it's close to the outer endge of the outdrive you get max droop but on full uptravel the driveshaft doesn't hit the diff nut. So adding internal washers accordingly is correct.

However a couple of small things, everyone has the eyelets at different lengths so that can effect it (though if you've measured eyelet centres this shouldn't matter in this case), also I've seen on lots of customers cars that they hadn't seated/aligned the threaded inserts between rear bulkhead and chassis, meaning it was stood high effecting droop. You can see this by looking in at the bulkhead behind the diff outdrive.

One last question, are you trying this with the 'usual' mount positions i.e. inside/inside on wishbone and tower?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 28-10-2010
Mad Member

Yes, inside/inside on the mounting locations.

Will check you other suggestions later tonight, although I am sure that the inserts are located correctly and I don't recall there being a large gap between the bulkhead and chassis. I don't seem to have a problem with the uptravel.

I have built the shocks without any internal spacers so it sounds like that is my first course of action. What would you suggest as a starting point?
Old 28-10-2010

Sounds like it is the old measurement with the older axles as you say.

When I stuck the new X Factory ones in I had to limit a little more.

Just limit them so the drive shaft is in safely but with as much droop as you can, as the car loves droop! I normally set this before I put any oil in as well as it just makes it less messy.

E.
Old 29-10-2010
Mad Member

Thanks guys!

I put in 2 of the thin black washers that come with the AE shocks (think they are the 0.030" ones) and this has brought the driveshafts just that little bit further into the cup, so the bone makes full contact with the cup. Droop not affected too much by this and used E's tip of testing without filling the shocks (kind of obvious in hindsight!). So this looks much better now.

Somewhat related, I'm using the standard AE spring retainer on the shock bottom that came with the V2 rear shocks (as opposed the offset version which comes with the front V2 shocks, a la B44). Is this correct as looks very close to resting on the wishbone at full droop (even after limiting the droop)?
Old 29-10-2010
Mad Member

Yea, both my Losi and Tamiys shocks nearly touch the wishbone. As long as its not causing any problems I'd just leave it

Clown
Old 29-10-2010

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

I was under the impression that the "KITS" included the proper longer axles?

When i did a "Conversion" I had to get the longer axles. Now i can run what ever droop i like.
Old 29-10-2010
Mad Member

The K 021 Kit does contain the #5800 C.V.D. made for us by M.I.P. This C.V.D. has the correct longer X Factory axle and the correct spacer. (As in part # 5661.) Another way to put it is: The K 021 has all the correct parts.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 30-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post

Somewhat related, I'm using the standard AE spring retainer on the shock bottom that came with the V2 rear shocks (as opposed the offset version which comes with the front V2 shocks, a la B44). Is this correct as looks very close to resting on the wishbone at full droop (even after limiting the droop)?
The standard cup should be ok but I have put some of the raised ones on the rear as well as I found with some of the springs I ran out of thread on the shock body when trying to set the ride height.

E.