Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 19-03-2006
Administrator

Default window masks!

genius! Ive been drawing up a few window masks for various buggys so I can paint shells more easily.. for instance the KIT xx4 paint masks are crap, they left residue on the shell. The B4 Illusion scoopless I got off rich lowe had no paint masks (had to take a photo of the shell and draw them), and the X-5 paint masks / window shapes I thought were a bit naff, so I re-did them.

Anyway!
I thought about how to make painting the window lines a bit easier, and I ended up with the original sized window mask, then a smaller (2mm all round in this case) identical mask which is put on after painting and de masking for the final window border painting.

you can see on this ZX5 shell the paint mask applied.

Its just a test as im not putting a frame on that shell as it wasn't required.

anyway, I thought about sticking window&frame masks up for sale for a nominal price, like a Quid. Its nice low-tack vinyl, easy to re-position and you can easily cut it when its applied to create thicker frame areas or whatever you like.

This is the XX4 one, the left is first, the right masks are for doing the frame, you get the idea.

Anyone think its a stupid idea? I've never seen anyone else offer anything similar.
maybe its one of them 5 minute good ideas.. ah well.
Old 20-03-2006

Send a message via MSN to wouter.z

Great idea, i just painted a j concepts body and it didnt come with window mask and i also tried to make a frame around the window, and i went bad.
Old 20-03-2006

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

top drawer that Jimmy.
Old 20-03-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

great idea Jimmy!!!

only downside I can see is getting the mask lined up when you put the smaller one on,

could you maybe 'layer' them together so that the smaller one is underneith, like with 2 colour vinyl stickers but 'backwards' with the bigger layer being on top....

does that make sense??
Old 20-03-2006
Administrator

I actually found it pretty easy to line up by putting a corner down and putting a finger on it, so i could sorta pivot the mask around till it was right.. it can handle repeated removal (trial and error) but it wasnt that hard at all.

Good idea though chris, i'll have a play about with layering the masks and doing it that way, would be even easier.

I just noticed a lot of peoples window frames were either wonky or really wide (and wonky). This way you get a super consistent and clean line.
Old 20-03-2006

Took you long enough Jimmy only joking!
I actually did a set of masks with my vinyl cutter and found that by only having one window mask and effectivley cutting both window and border as one you get perfect line up. (similar to layering I suppose)
You apply them as one with application tape, paint, then remove the outer and paint the border. If you are worried about creeping through the cut then you can cover with thin masking tape.
Works great but I don't know if you could do that with your style of mask?
Old 20-03-2006
Administrator

Hi George, that was my first idea, but decided against it because of the possibility of bleeding and the added difficulty of applying the mask with inflexible app tape. some shells need a bit of care due to the concave / curved windows and I can just see the outline seperating, but then ive not actually tried it so...

Do you use app tape to apply other paint masks also ? perhaps I use the wrong type of app tape but I cant follow the curves of a shell using application tape.
Old 20-03-2006

yes
I do use the application tape, maybe what I am using is a bit more flexible????
Fortunately i dont buy my tape, my sone gets it for me - the Company he works for make up temporary road signs and use vinyl cutters for them.
I'll stick some in my box for next Regional meet (are you going to Teesdale?)
Old 20-03-2006
Administrator

I am mate, that would be great.
the app tape I have is clear, ace for layering stickers up and stuff like that, but doesn't conform to curves very well at all. When I apply the masks I basically have a lump of vinyl in my hand, not the easiest method, for window masks its not a problem but for a big sheet of flames it can be a pain I suppose.

oOp ! im going to move this thread to the 'Graphy section, I really should know better!

Last edited by jimmy; 20-03-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 20-03-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Jim, thats a cool idea.

I only ever realy use the BK2 masks if the design calls for the two seperate windwos, otherwise I have always freehanded mine as I just don't have the patience to align the masks up correctly, so I slap the tape on and trim to suit.

The only downside I can see is if you got a light colour on the cockpit then someone wants dark window surrounds, that makes it kinda tricky.

El-neato idea though... maybe you should sell them...

Oh yeah, XX4 shells, some must be SOOO old, the window masks have actualy dried and fallen off the backing paper in the packet, lol.
Old 20-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
I am mate, that would be great.
the app tape I have is clear, ace for layering stickers up and stuff like that, but doesn't conform to curves very well at all. When I apply the masks I basically have a lump of vinyl in my hand, not the easiest method, for window masks its not a problem but for a big sheet of flames it can be a pain I suppose.

oOp ! im going to move this thread to the 'Graphy section, I really should know better!
OK - then my tape is deff different, its a little like masking tape material, pretty flexible and transparent enough to see what you are doing.
I'll get some sorted for teesdale