Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 15-11-2016

Default New and looking for a car!

Hello all,

I'm looking to get back into the hobby and start coming to race there. I've had a bit of past experience as a kid and then started up again a few years back racing an electric converted 1/8th scale buggy at Preston club - Packed it in and sold up when I had to go abroad but now I'm back living in Leeds area (Micklefield) and I thought I'd like to take it up again so I've just found your club online. I've decided I'm gonna get myself set up as a Christmas present to myself and see if I can start racing in the new year..

I like the idea of 2wd just because I figured there'd be less messing about when I inevitably smash front wheel assemblies etc (I seem to remember breaking my car pretty much every track day in the past!).

I'd also like to do it as cheaply as poss - In the past I've always managed to do it on a bit of a shoestring really, was thinking I might be able to get going for around £200, dunno if I'm being overly optimistic with that..?

Anyway just thought I'd introduce myself and put word out what I was looking for..

Regards,
George
Old 15-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi and welcome, have you popped into one of our meetings to have a look?

2wd is certainly the way to go, and you should be able to pickup something raceable for upwards of 250ish realistically. Come along to a meeting and have a chat in person.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16-11-2016
Admin

We are next at our winter home, MB models at Oulton Hall. This is probably less than 15 mins from Micklefield, so why not call down and have a chat
Old 16-11-2016

Send a message via Skype™ to Oppy

Hello George

As been said above, the MB Models Raceway where Batley run through the winter months isnt far from you

Next meeting is Next Wednesday (23rd) at 6.00pm or Sunday (27th) at 10.00am which is a winter series event so very busy. Feel free to call down to have a chat with any of the club members.

If you want any advice on cars in the meantime, PM me and I will see what we can find - there are plenty of decent cars for between £200 - £250 to get you up and racing. Its also a friendly club where everyone helps so you will be well looked after.

Might also be worth joining the Batley Buggy Club Facebook page (Just search "Batley Buggy Club" as I cant link it up for some reason)

Hopefully we will see you soon.

Steve

It's not about the speed, it's how the car looks on the way around... apparently.. #Oppy

I’m a friendly bloke, an arsehole but always willing to listen or help.
Old 16-11-2016

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll pop down to one of the indoor track days soon..

Keeping my eyes peeled for bargains on ebay, here and maxbashing in the meantime.. If there are any other good places to look pls aware me..

G
Old 16-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-George View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll pop down to one of the indoor track days soon..

Keeping my eyes peeled for bargains on ebay, here and maxbashing in the meantime.. If there are any other good places to look pls aware me..

G
Join Batley Buggy Club facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/118170704882490/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16-11-2016

Hi G

I have a Team C Tm2v2 which I am going to sell (son needs a new bike for Xmas) comes with a load of spares and upgraded was looking for £160 as a roller I don't have any electrics but I'm sure someone will if interested I can send pics

David
Old 17-11-2016

Cool, I'll get on that facebook group..

David - Just been looking up the Team C Tm 2v2, I've realized that I'm clueless with regards to what's what in the world of 1/10th 2wd buggies at the mo! It looks like a nice car and people seem to rate it, one thing I have read from a few sources is that it's designed for high bite surfaces, one site described it as a 'carpet monster'. This sounds perfect for the indoor track, I'm wondering if it would also be a good choice to run in the summer as well though? I was hoping to be able to run the same car indoors and out with just a few changes to suspension, tyres etc.

I'm also gonna have to research how much I'll be looking at for electrics. I do still have a cheap 2.4 gig radio hanging around (Tx and Rx) but I imagine the main cost is gonna be the ESC/ motor combo, batteries and a charger. I'm thinking that I may end up well over budget if I spend £160 on a roller before I've even thought about something to power it - it is always tempting to spend a bit more to get something nice but I don't wanna run out of money before I've got a complete set up! - Basically it may end up being outta my price range but you never know, my budget may change so if it's not too much trouble to send some pics I'd still be interested in having a look.

Some other cars I've seen:

Team Associated B4
Losi 22
Team Durango DEX210
Serpent Spyder SRX-2 MM

Would any of these cars be suitable? The Durango dex210 and the Associated B4 seem to crop up quite often and fairly cheap on ebay..
Old 17-11-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-George View Post
Cool, I'll get on that facebook group..

David - Just been looking up the Team C Tm 2v2, I've realized that I'm clueless with regards to what's what in the world of 1/10th 2wd buggies at the mo! It looks like a nice car and people seem to rate it, one thing I have read from a few sources is that it's designed for high bite surfaces, one site described it as a 'carpet monster'. This sounds perfect for the indoor track, I'm wondering if it would also be a good choice to run in the summer as well though? I was hoping to be able to run the same car indoors and out with just a few changes to suspension, tyres etc.

I'm also gonna have to research how much I'll be looking at for electrics. I do still have a cheap 2.4 gig radio hanging around (Tx and Rx) but I imagine the main cost is gonna be the ESC/ motor combo, batteries and a charger. I'm thinking that I may end up well over budget if I spend £160 on a roller before I've even thought about something to power it - it is always tempting to spend a bit more to get something nice but I don't wanna run out of money before I've got a complete set up! - Basically it may end up being outta my price range but you never know, my budget may change so if it's not too much trouble to send some pics I'd still be interested in having a look.

Some other cars I've seen:

Team Associated B4
Losi 22
Team Durango DEX210
Serpent Spyder SRX-2 MM

Would any of these cars be suitable? The Durango dex210 and the Associated B4 seem to crop up quite often and fairly cheap on ebay..
Those cars you mentioned above will not be suitable/competitive on the indoor carpet track. There are lots on eBay for sale for a reason, they don't work so well on high traction surfaces like carpet and astro.
You may need to up your budget realistically to get radio, charger, batteries, etc, in addtion to car, motor and ESC.
Come and have a look and chat at a meeting.
Old 17-11-2016

Hi George

Most car manufacturers produce a high grip car and a low grip, the TM2 is high grip so MB models or our outdoor track on a dry day, however, the car is not suited to damp outdoor or indoor gyms but will still work. Several club members run Team C cars at the club

If money is an issue have a look at the Yokomo Bmax 2 on Ebay currently £87.00 (finish's on Sunday) comes complete with electrics. The Bmax 2 is not Yokomo's current car but is a good all round chassis, spares are available and several people at the club run them including my son

Hope this helps

David
Old 18-11-2016
Admin

I've still got my Schumacher KF which is probably about as competitive as you're likely to get for a high grip car on a very tight budget. I might be able to throw in some Lipo's and do a deal on a cheap motor too
Old 21-11-2016
Mad Member

I've got a spare yokomo YZ2 that simply sits in a box as I never need it due to the resilience of the ones I race.
If you are interested then let me know

Also, I have a Yokomo B-Max2-Worlds with all alloy upgrades which I don't suppose I need any longer.

I've put pics of both on Batley FB page if anyone interested

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...

Last edited by Ashlandchris; 22-11-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: updated info