Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > Events Organiser > 12th & 10th On Road Events

Old 16-12-2015

Arrow The Iconic Cup 2016 at WLRC & BMCC

The Iconic Cup pays homage to the on-road electric Tamiya Eurocup which ended in 2004 and the classes reflect that classic racing series. The 2016 inaugural 2 date series will be hosted by West London Racing Centre and Broxtowe Model Car Club.

Schedule
Round 1 at West London Racing Centre, Middlesex on Sunday 8th May 2016.

Round 2 at Broxtowe Model Car Club, Nottinghamshire, on Sunday 12th June 2016.

Gates open at 07:30 for booking in and Practice. Drivers Briefing at 09:15 with the first round of qualifying at 09:30.

Both clubs will be open on the previous Saturday afternoon for practice and will offer overnight camping that night.

Entry Fees

Price is £10 per entry with £2 of that going into the Revival 2016 charity fund for Parkinson’s UK. For WLRC, entry will be online to book a place and then pay the club on the day. For BMCC, entry and immediate payment will be online with paypal. Links to online entry will be published in due course.

BRCA

BRCA membership is a requirement. The Licence costs £17 per annum and runs from December to December. It can be purchased online from: http://www.britishradiocarassociation.co.uk/

Racing Format

4 rounds of Qualifying and a Final. Best qualifying time (TQ) will determine grid place in the final.

Classes

Tamiya F1

• Tamiya Sport Tuned, Torque Tuned or Silver Can Motor.
• NiMh, NiCad or Hard Cased LiPo Battery.
• Formula 1 Body Shell.
• Any commercially available tyre.
• Any commercially available hop-ups.

Tamiya M-Chassis

• Scale Body Shell. (No ‘jelly mold’ shells such as Protoform etc).
• Any commercially available M‐Chassis wheel with a diameter of 42mm.
• Any commercially available tyre, except Foam.
• Permitted commercially available hop-ups: Oil Dampers, Wheel Hex Adapters, Heatsink & Fans, Universal Drive Shafts, Rear Toe‐in Uprights, Front Uprights, Upper Shock Mounts, Chassis Braces, Suspension Arms, Differential.

Tamiya Touring Car

• Scale Body Shell. (No ‘jelly mold’ shells such as Protoform etc).
• No Carbon/FRP Chassis. Original Plastic Tub only.
• Permitted commercially available hop-ups: Ball Races, Oil Dampers, Aluminium Hexes, Hi-Speed Gear Sets.

Tamiya GT Touring Car

• 13.5T Brushless Motor in Blinky Mode.
• Scale body shell. (No ‘jelly mold’ shells such as Protoform etc).
• Any commercially available hop-ups including Carbon/FRP Chassis.

Tamiya TRF Touring Car

• 13.5T Brushless Motor in Blinky Mode.
• Scale body shell. (No ‘jelly mold’ shells such as Protoform etc).
• Any commercially available hop-ups including Carbon/FRP Chassis.

General Rules
• Non Tamiya hardware parts including screws, ball joints and turnbuckles may be used.
• Except for the TRF class front end, the differential must not be locked up. When either wheel is rotated by hand, the opposite wheel must rotate in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Iconic; 15-01-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 16-12-2015

A PDF with full details of the event, including Eligible Cars, can be downloaded from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip573d3xp5...20Cup.pdf?dl=0
Old 16-12-2015

Before anyone comments about not being able to run x or y, just remember how restrictive the Tamiya Euro cup was back in the day. In that it had to be a Tamiya item sold by Hobby Co.

The rules have been more relaxed and not as restrictive to encourage people to come out to play and have a good day out.

On body shells, they don't need to be a Tamiya body but still need to be a scale/recognizable representation of a real car. For example HPI make some nice bodys for the M chassis cars.
Old 28-12-2015

Some Q and A's which are supplemental to the PDF that can be downloaded 2 posts up.

Can any manufacturer's shell be used? Yes. As long as it represents a proper recognisable car.

Standard TC Class: Can I add gear diffs that I can tune with different oils? Diff will still work, but will try 1,000,000 cst in the front to resemble a spool, but will still retain a diff operation? No. Diffs built as per kit.

Standard TC Class: Can I use U/J's? No.

Standard TC Class: Can I use a hi torque servo saver? Yes. It doesn't effect performance of chassis.

Is the TA-02RS eligible? Yes.

Does equipment need to be ROAR approved? No.

Standard TC Class: Can the hop up prop shaft be used? Yes.

Which wings can be used on the Touring Car Classes? Touring Car Wings for all 3 classes: Commercially available SCALE Wings can be fitted to body shells to replace damaged/lost wings. Wings cannot be added to bodies that didn't originally come with one. Emphasis on scale.

Can additive be used on tyres? Yes. except the ones with Wintergreen.

Can we use tyre warmers? Yes.

Can the chassis be modified to accommodate LiPo's which don't quite fit? No for M-Chassis and Stock Touring Car classes. For the other classes (F1, GT TC, TRF TC), any chassis modifications to enable batteries to fit need to be ok'd prior to the event. Please try to avoid these modifications. Some rounded LiPo's such as the Brainergy and Core-RC are the same size as NiMh batteries.

Is the carbon reinforced TA-04R eligible? Yes , but not in the Stock Touring Car Class.

Can the later 2 hole batteries holders be used on the M-chassis and TL-01? Yes . Tamiya items #50793 and #53336.

Can I run a motor heatsink in Stock Touring Car? Yes . Heatsinks or Fans are ok in all classes.

Are shock springs limited to kit in Stock Touring Car? No.

The FF-01 didn't have aftermarket turnbuckles. Are turnbuckles allowed that will fit? Yes .

TA-02 has ball diff in the back and a geared diff in the front. Can I swap the diffs around so the ball diff is in the front? This is for stock class. No.

Last edited by Iconic; 12-01-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2016

Does anyone have any idea when booking is likely to open for this event?
Old 11-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike145 View Post
This reminds me I need to dig out my TB-02 as I can not use my Eurocup TA-05's....

Oh and Book in! lol

Last edited by toyracer69; 13-01-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2016

Quote:
I'll get an ETA from both clubs. John.
Old 11-01-2016

Cool, thank you. Building up a ta01 and really don't want to miss out on the opportunity to race it competitively!
Old 12-01-2016

Booking in, which will be handled by the 2 clubs, should be open in the next few days and I'll post up the details when I have them.
Old 14-01-2016

Booking in and PayPal Payment for Round 2 of the Iconic Cup at Broxtowe Model Car Club is now open.

URL for booking in: http://www.broxtowemcc.co.uk/rapidcart/index.html

Last edited by Iconic; 15-01-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 15-01-2016

Can I ask why we can't trim the chassis to get lipos in for the stock class I don't really want to go out and by a lipo just to do two meetings
Zen rxgt12
Kyosho zx6.6
Old 15-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
Can I ask why we can't trim the chassis to get lipos in for the stock class I don't really want to go out and by a lipo just to do two meetings
It's a stock class so no chassis mod's. The alternative is to use NiMh's.
Old 16-01-2016

Official Iconic Cup T-shirts and Hoodies are now available from TTGrafix.

£1 from every purchase goes to Parkinson's UK.

Old 20-01-2016

Online entry for Round 1 at West London Racing Centre is now open.

Enter online and pay on the day:

http://new.wlrc.co.uk/iconic-rc-cup-entry-form/

Old 26-01-2016

Are there any iconic rc decals available for bodyshells for the events?
Old 26-01-2016

Quote:
Are there any iconic rc decals available for bodyshells for the events?
Mike, There will be stickers for all entrants.
Old 26-01-2016

I'll have to leave a space on the shells then. Cheers
Old 31-01-2016

Hi guys,
I've recently been told about this by a friend of mine, and after a few years out of it I'm really excited about the hobby again, with the prospect that I might be able to join in. After donkeys years of playing about with Tamiya models, I'd love to actually have a go at racing one... Whether or not I can bring myself to take my shelf queen Porsche out of retirement is another thing entirely, but I'll figure something out.
I've not really done any proper racing (bar a couple of casual races with a Marder/ Revo) so I may need to ask a couple of muppet questions about signing up (particularly regarding transponders and selecting my level), so apologies in advance
Old 31-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Ritchie View Post
Hi guys,
I've recently been told about this by a friend of mine, and after a few years out of it I'm really excited about the hobby again, with the prospect that I might be able to join in. After donkeys years of playing about with Tamiya models, I'd love to actually have a go at racing one... Whether or not I can bring myself to take my shelf queen Porsche out of retirement is another thing entirely, but I'll figure something out.
I've not really done any proper racing (bar a couple of casual races with a Marder/ Revo) so I may need to ask a couple of muppet questions about signing up (particularly regarding transponders and selecting my level), so apologies in advance

If the Iconic Cup is teasing chaps out of retirement or encourages newbies to give racing a whirl then mission accomplished. We will look after rookies all the way through and please ask as many questions as you need to. Either on here or contact me on john@iconicrc.com

Last edited by Iconic; 01-02-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 31-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
If the Iconic Cup is teasing chaps out of retirement or encourages newbies to give racing a whirl then mission accomplished.
Yep, a bit of both for me! I stopped when I sold all my off road toys to buy a half decent touring car, then I went to one indoor meeting and found it so deadly serious that I lost all interest before I really started. Since hearing about this, the touring car is up on eBay, to raise the funds for breathing some new life into the old ones in the loft!
I'll arrange BRCA membership asap, then get myself booked in.