Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Old 06-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Default Driving standards

Hi all, another great turn out tonight and lots of close competition, but please if you are being lapped try and get out of the way in a place beneficial to both drivers. On our relatively small track one tangle with a backmarker means the end of the race for the leading car.

Also once your race is finished please Marshall before going home, it's not fair on the following drivers, or fellow marshals.

We all love racing but some things have to be done in fairness to fellow racers

Rant over

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 07-02-2013

totally agree, the driving standards of some drivers is not acceptable, what happened to the days when slower drivers let you lap them without having to remind them.
Excellent turn out again last night lets hope this momentum keeps going and turns an already competitive club into a more competitve club (does that make sense lol)
Old 07-02-2013

As far as marshalling before you go home bit I try and Marshall every week before I leave but last night I was right on the money as far as time goes and only just made it to work on time but I did inform Jason who was at the time on race control sometimes for me that's all I can do otherwise I cannot race
Old 07-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

That's a different thing entirely mate, if anyone needs or wants to go home that's fine, no one is held hostage lol

So yeah you did the right thing, just tell someone you're off and we'll get a substitute marshal

My feedback
Old 07-02-2013

I was bad for Marshalling last night as I was running two cars; I’m going to only run one class from now on. However, I’m in the opinion that as long as you have a valid reason and someone know “why” you can’t marshal then no problem. As a club we are all a helpful bunch and always try to help each other, but it seems to be the same people every week doing the do (setting up, packing away and marshalling) when others just sit and chat. There should be a comprise with everyone, if you know you can’t marshal then put more effort setup / packing away, if you can’t pack away then help more with the setup, if you’ve got to get away early or your having car issues then help more next week and so on….

If everyone does there share then no one can get upset.

Anyway on a lighter note, “Gentleman Sausage” if you were there till the end you know what I’m taking about,it’s made me smile all day, I’m a child.

Last edited by Col; 08-02-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2013

I agree with the setting up and packing away bit that's why I came to help last night I wasn't much help just getting some big stuff out, I really don't like track building but don't mind getting the equipment onto the track for bernnie muzie eccestone to work his magic wish I didn't work nights so I can do a full nights racing and help pack away . Gentlemans sausage ? Do tell is jay in this story or is it random
Old 07-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

Yes Ian, that will be Jason's truck with the huge c--k painted on each side of the shell

My feedback
Old 07-02-2013

Class hope he keeps it on and races with it but me thinks some people may find it offensive but very funny though
Old 07-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

lol, its not actually meant to be one, it just looks a bit like one

My feedback
Old 08-02-2013

I was just wondering if this post was about people ruining others racing due to there poor driving standards or a pop at my shell ??

Maybe it's time people rocked the boat a bit with the right people that are causing the issues :-)

I have personaly stopped racing and taken my car off track becouse of the issues why this post was started by John.

I think as a club comitte there needs to be Put in place some kinda way to prevent poor driving at the club and educate people into the fact that by not ramming into people constantly will improve there lap times as well....:-)

Old 08-02-2013

I thought this thread was about Jason's driving standards, just thought they'd tried to spare your feelings by putting"Driving Standards instead of "Jason's Driving Standards" ha,ha.....
Team Corally
Exotek

www.batleybuggyclub.com
www.rccarshop.co.uk

Trader Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169814
Old 08-02-2013

After not racing for 23 years and now back racing (since this Xmas) Iam quite surprised how 'rough & tumble' the racing is nowadays!! (Not just mansfield club)

I would like to think the sport continued in the same reign as 'full size car racing' which is always categorised a 'Gentlemans Sport' --- may I highlight the word GENTLE - MEN!!

But I'm sure a few of you have heard me say 'I'm in the Banger Cars heat again!' But it doesn't bode well when someone is a little heavy handed and the 'Red Mist' drops BUT you end up the wrong end of the stick with a damaged car!!

Iam sure Buxton Stockcar Club would invite you with open arms!!

As for Lapping,,, maybe we all need to be a little more astute as to 'where you are' in the race and automatically leave a turn wider than normal when a faster car is 'looming up behind'

Me personally,,,, I would much rather go out of my way to let a lapping car through, rather than risking damaging either cars AND creating an additional problem for a Marshall to sort out, (and Sod's law the Marshall is already busy,, so neither of you win!)

That's my ten penneth (going to crawl back under my rock now!)

P.S,,, On the nice side of things,, may I say a big THANK YOU for all of you making it a very welcoming club!
Old 08-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

I think I might close this thread soon, we got a bit side tracked with an unintentional (but amusing) paint effect, and anyone who wants to comment probably has done by now. Mansfield IS a tough track to race on, but I for one like it for just that reason, so lets all try and race hard but fair and if you know you're about to be lapped, just take a wider line at the next corner.

We are very lucky that our club is expanding where many are closing down

My feedback
Old 08-02-2013

In general however it is hard to distinguish
Between poor driving and people who cant drive in lower heats
I admit at my local club im anoyed if i get in lower heats as it means lapping and poor driving/ bad drivers but there seems to be alot more people shouting and swearing on the rostrum respect others if you want to be respected
And at the end of the day if your quick/good enough slow down until they make a mistake then go by i have been in fustrating positions and now learning a new calm and steady aproach to being in lower heats
However there is still no excuse for poor even for the quicker people
Old 08-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

To be fair, this thread is here not because of new and inexperienced drivers, we were all one of them once and Mansfield welcomes anyone whatever their ability.

We have everyone from complete beginners, who have been racing for less than a month, various team drivers and even the odd ex European champ making a rare appearance.

This thread is about an A final which was the worst race I think I've been in since I started in 1983!

My feedback
Old 08-02-2013

In general,before i start the first race of the night,i know pretty much who will usually be lapping me after a couple of laps,its something you just know after racing here after a year,i always pull to the side when its possible.
What i have been noticing lately though,is racers just rail-roading through you who you are competing for positions with,who may have a quicker car,instead of waiting for you to make a mistake or pass you fairly.
8 out of ten times i always end up coming off worse for it as well,and we dont seem to see many wait to let you get put back on track,and race for position again.

Mansfield club is still the best for tough tracks,and brill track-side banter with a great bunch of peeps.So glad its always on,regardless of how freezing it is etc.

Steve E.
Old 08-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

I for one am going to take a step back and just enjoy the practice our club night gives us

My feedback
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFarrand View Post
I thought this thread was about Jason's driving standards, just thought they'd tried to spare your feelings by putting"Driving Standards instead of "Jason's Driving Standards" ha,ha.....
Lol after you performance at the club this week I would watch out mate did I see you in the B final ??

Old 10-02-2013

There's been some good points made by everyone in this thread and I agree with most.

The phrase 'driving standard' could be interpreted as skill level but what everyone is referring to is best described as 'racing etiquette'.

In 1:1 racing it is the leading cars responsibility to make a clean pass with a back marker. I don't think this approach is feasible at mansfield, the track is generally too technical. Everyone needs to be clear on this. Does the slower car move off the racing line or stay on it? Any differences in opinion will result in a collision.

Being aware of who is the lead car can be quite difficult with so many similar looking buggies on the track, is white paint on offer? Lol.

I've only been racing 2wd buggy for 3 months and in that time I've improved to the point of making the A final a few times and, in my experience, racing at the top is best described as 'brutal'. I've never had to replace so many parts in such a short amount of time. Mainly steering components and hubs from being 'broadsided' by late brakers. Okay I admit my 13.5t motor isn't the fastest out there but my buggy is set up to carry corner speed as opposed to 'point and shoot'.

I thoroughly enjoy the experience at mansfield but I'm getting earache off the wife for spending so much on replacement parts

Maybe we need a 'racing etiquette' guide for the club? A list of rules everyone agrees on.

Track awareness is not something that comes natural to a lot of people, how about a commentator to let everyone know when leaders are catching the back of the pack and to make everyone aware of incidents on the track?

One final point, the A final last week, massive pile up on the first corner, as usual I hold back a little to avoid it. Drove around it, only for the marshal to drop a buggy on top of mine. I kill the throttle, Buggy on top revving it nuts off, flinging mine sideways. Marshals sort out everyone else first puts me back on the track last, 35 second first lap for me! And a bent shock tower leading to some strange 'on throttle' steering characteristics, that's racing for you

Definitely the worst race I've ever had in 2wd buggy.
Old 10-02-2013
oOple Advertiser

I would imagine most of the Mansfield racers have read this thread now, so maybe we will all take something from it, no one, me more than most wants to be taken out or have to shell out on new wishbones etc.

I very much like the idea of a commentator for the finals, this is something we should look seriously at, and see about getting some volunteers.

My feedback