Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 05-05-2012

Default Roll centers

Hi,

I race indoors on carpet which is high grip. Can anyone advise what the best rollcenter to use at the back ( HRC or LRC ) and what toe and antisquat. Track is smooth with some jumps

Also I am using gear diff. What weight oil is best for high grip. Thanks
Old 08-05-2012

There is no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' - it's down to personal preferences, driving style and the whole combination of set up variations. But it might be worth thinking about what each part does in theory and why that might be good or bad to your overall set up.

I prefer HRC because it seems more consistent throughout the turn. It feels looser on corner entry but it doesn't let go abruptly. LRC in comparison will enable you to throw the car in harder into the turn but it will let go more violently which is the aspect I didn't like - hence my preference.

Toe-in. More toe will increase forward 'drive' on power but it can make the car not want to rotate freely in the turns. Typically, less toe-in will yield faster laptimes when the grip is high because you don't need to rely on the toe to provide the stability on power.

AntiSquat. This affects how the car shifts weight rearwards on acceleration. Less antsquat will facilitate more weight transfer rearward. More antisquat does the reverse. It also has a couple of other affects that are useful. More antisquat will enable higher jump arcs and antisquat will stiffen the rear end of th car on power - which can make it worse over the bumps when on power, but curiously better when off power.

Diff Oil - I'm afraid I'll defer that to others who have more experience with the gear diff than I do. Generally, a tighter diff (heavier Oil) will resist corner rotation and promote understeer whereas a lighter oil will help rotation. Too light though and the car will diff oil where it will spin up the inside tyre and lose all drive.

So in reality, no single one answer but worth changing each variable slightly in isolation so that you can feel what difference the change has made. Also remember though - there is likely to be an adverse affect to each change - so as with everything, its finding the best overall compromise that enables you to lap the fastest and most consistently.
HTH
Old 08-05-2012

Thanks. I will try the HRC with less toe and see what happens.