Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 23-02-2012

my self and char like having the duffers and the pros as we call them cause it makes us feel like we get in the way when we are all together in the race .it would be a good idear to tone the motors down in the duffers class as we want to keep the damage down and lern to drive ,this is just my view about it from the bottom looking up
Old 23-02-2012

Rite we for mardave n electrics we are in need of a bodyshell pinion and front body mounts thinks that's the lot :-) any1 able to help us get going?
Old 23-02-2012

Has Baldwin got any old TC3 body posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Rite we for mardave n electrics we are in need of a bodyshell pinion and front body mounts thinks that's the lot :-) any1 able to help us get going?
Old 26-02-2012

Wot a laugh that was Racin mardave. 6 laps up in are rave with 2 driver changes durin the race.

Simon cheers for the shell we gona get one soon we can mayb for next week :-)
And a slower motor will be installed as a 27tirn proper stock motor was fast as hell and 108 deg at the end of a run oops
Old 26-02-2012

I'm wondering if the gearing would be ok for your motor if you switched to 48DP gears and used the biggest spur and smallest pinion possible before the motor can hits the axle.
Otherwise, what about grinding the timing tabs on your motor so that you can rotate the endbell and reduce the timing - that would cool it down. Plus then you could use your mountain of brushes up.
Also I don't know how much tyre thickness you were running but if it was a lot this will obviously cause the motor to run hotter/be over geared. Hoping to be able to run with you on Friday...
Old 26-02-2012

I've not reali thought about it tbh dave ill hava look 2mos and see what the gearing is and look to see what we could get with 48 do but when we turned it down to 65% it come off around 60 which is no big deal reali I don't think. But for next week I think we gona try a Silvercan and c if that get hot n if it dose stick with are 27stock. I might hav bearings I can put in the motor to help a tad
Old 27-02-2012

Gunter, the car looked very quick with that brushed 27T motor in it. As I have stated many times on this BB, the Dave can only handle so much power. In your case what I witnessed during the single race I raced, was the massive amount of grip roll you experienced on the high speed corner. Getting used to the Dave will take you (CB/MG) a little time but I am most definately looking forward to future battles on track. Especially now that Beeby is joining the foray aswell.
I am really pleased you enjoyed it... I have said for many months that racing the Madraves brings the most smiles out of all the classes I have raced. Roll on Friday
Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,
Tamiya Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster

"if i'm not racing... i'm dreaming of racing"
Old 27-02-2012

Yep, ordered a VRX-CE yesterday. Sure hope we won't need to set up a third class for those running a transverse pod damper...
I predict some good racing will be had!
Old 27-02-2012

now that has me worried Dave...
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 27-02-2012

Oo Dave u hav spent some cash how much that bad boy set u bk?

But yeas Simon we did hav a small grip roll issue ;-) but due to are massive experience and tech no how ;-) 'super glue' we had no grip roll in the final and it was rocking after we set steering balance up. And managed to keep the motor under 100c. Putting a stock silver can in this week n a new secret shell ;-) not made out of iron so it should be flying.
Old 27-02-2012

In true Mardave style I don't actually know exactly what I have bought. But going on the nuts prices of second hand stuff on Ebay I bought a new kit. £90 for the VRX-CE and I added the diff on top of that. I'm keen to see if the CE is any better than the standard V12. My concern is that the light chassis will make it more likely to roll. If so I'll be prototyping a steel V12 chassis, available to all if it is successful of course.
Old 28-02-2012

Wow Dave that's 7 times how much we hav spent on ares, but the new shell is over doubling are costs. I lookin forward to having another laugh with the Dave n the new shell mark painting ;-)
Old 28-02-2012

my mardave is lossing the back end on corners and rolling is there any way to stop that
Old 28-02-2012

unfortunately Ryan its probably the high centre of gravity due to the ABS shell.

A lexan shell weighs virtually nothing so does not adversely effect the cars handling/grip under braking/ cornering etc... whilst the ABS is probably close to 250grams (approx 25% of total weight). Bear in mind the type of shell, your Cab style is not used in any "full size" racing so I'd guess that aerodynamics and shell weight distirbution is not best for suited circuit racing more akin to banger racing.

You could change the front and rear springs (medium all round) and make sure your running 50 shore fronts and 42 shore rears.

But setting up a mardave is definately 90% tyres that suit your driving style. I like mine to slide with minimum grip as I use the motor to power the back end around turns.
Good luck trying all the various combinations, it took me 2 years to reach the setup I have....
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Last edited by Simion Wabs; 28-02-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 28-02-2012

Hey Ryan, if you don't have one already consider investing in a diff. But definitely try Simon's tyre suggestion first, that's much more important. I found I needed to take grip out of the front (rather than add grip to the rear) to stop the behaviour you are getting. Too much front end grip causes the back end to fishtail under power and digs in on fast corners giving grip roll. Get the hardest tyres you can on the front. I run JAP 52 shores. Some people like to run a bit of superglue around the outside edge of the front tyres too - try that if you don't have any hard foams to stick on.
Old 29-02-2012

My mardave is currently running a diff so I will try both of your idea thanks for the help guys

Last edited by ryan edwards; 29-02-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Error in typing
Old 29-02-2012

Only do one at a time tho, try superglue on ur current front tyres n if that don't work get harder front foams. What fronts u running ATM Ryan?
Old 29-02-2012

45 fronts 47 rear
Old 29-02-2012

That's your problem for sure. You need to have harder fronts than rears - you might even find swapping your tyres front to rear helps. Last time out (quite a few months back before you started coming) I was running 35 rear 52 front. My car was usually fast enough to qualify in the top 5 overall, including all the touring cars.
Old 01-03-2012

ill have a look at the weekend. i will swap the tyres tommorow first heat see how i get on