Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 29-05-2007

Default How is the Vintage 1/10th off road scene?

HI,

I'm new to these forums (found it last night)

I used to race at Batley Buggy Club back in the late 80s when i was in my early teens. I haven't driven an rc car since. I came across my old Procat in the loft the other day and in researching the net to find out if it is worth anything i came across this forum.

I was very supprised to find talk on some parts of this site of vintage RC car racing. I'm wondering if anybody is still doing it since all the threads i read were a bit dated.

I left racing because i couldn't afford to keep up. We used to have a standard class that could only use 27 turn motors. But Batley decided to change to allow anything (inline with BRCA i think). With that I couldn't afford to be competitive so gave up.

It wasn't just the cost of motors. Batterys were an issue and to make a modified motor do 5 mins meant very expensive ones, with chargers to match. I was amazed to read that dumping is a thing of the past with your 4200mah cells!

I liked what i read about the standard motor etc that the vintage guys use to keep costs down.

Was also suprised to see shaft drive back in. I thought we had finished laughing about them in the hotshot! And whats with centre diffs, carbon fibre and brushless motors!!!!!!

Sorry, I was being nostalgic.
Old 30-05-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default ????

Your guess is as good as mine, but there will be a couple of us racing the indoor series this year to try and qualify for the indoor finals with old 80s and 90s cars. Maybe you should rekindle your youth and take it up again
Old 16-07-2007

Im currently racing a few vintage buggies and I have a handful of old Schumachers.I have been racing my Topcat and Bosscat which both run all the Works parts I can get my hands on.Ive been running a 14 double in the Topcat and a brushless 5.5 Novak GTB in my Bosscat.They both move along bloody well with matched 4200 Intellect cells. I also have a heap of Cougar2 and Cougar2000 series buggies which are begging to have a run again.I cant get enough of the older Schueys and I have been on the track with other friends on the East Coast of Australia.Have a look at some of the pics-

Old 16-07-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORMAC View Post

I spy with my little eye......... someone who's cheating...... A Tamiya 501x isn't entirely vintage....
Old 16-07-2007
Lee-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
I spy with my little eye......... someone who's cheating...... A Tamiya 501x isn't entirely vintage....
It will be when they bring out the stu wood edition in a few weeks
Old 16-07-2007
Mad Member

I believe York will be running the vintage series again this winter. Northy can you confirm this?
Old 16-07-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilD View Post
I believe York will be running the vintage series again this winter. Northy can you confirm this?
Oh yessss!

G
Old 16-07-2007
Mad Member

Whats the age range for the cars this time around?
Old 17-07-2007

I recently attended a 25th Anniversary meet where the club was holding a handful of vintage classes.I entered pre 1990 2WD mod with my Topcat,pre 1990 4WD mod with my Nikko Brat and post 1990 4WD mod with my PRO/BOSS.The red,white and blue Schueys belong to good friend Scott Hogan.I hooked up a driver with micro servo in my Topcat for the event.The day was awesome to say the least.Here are some more pics-

Old 17-07-2007

BORMAC

WOW!!! what a collection. A blast from the past. I remember racing most of those cars at club level and a few at regional level. Wicked, and well looked after.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 17-07-2007

i'm loving that JRX2, original tyres as well i think?
Wish i could remember what i did with mine!!
Old 18-07-2007

It just goes to show that here in 'DOWN UNDER' there is enough enthusiasm in the vintage scene to make a class viable. I love the Schumacher buggies and have endeavoured to see the Cougar2,Topcat and Procat bodies repro'd. Now the world has access to these old bodies again. There are always so many other cool buggies turning up at these meets and I will be attending another meet at the famous St Ives track (where the 89' WORLD's were held) mid August and should have more pics then.
Old 18-07-2007

It brings tears to an old mans eye´s that top cat.. More vintage please. Great pictures by the way. thank´s. Maybe an thread of its own soon Jimmy? Seems to be a great interest in vintage racing.. Pardon my bad english.
Old 18-07-2007

You want more,Ive got more-