Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 20-02-2014

Default Yokomo BD7 ver RS- a good deal?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting into touring car racing and I was wondering if the titled Yokomo car is a good car to start with.
I'm really not into the entry level or beginer style cars like some low end Tamiya cars for TC racing so that's why I think the Yokomo car is a much better deal for what you get, considering it comes with the same chassis as the pro spec Yokomo BD7 and can be fully upgraded with all the BD7's parts.
I'm wondering if it's a good car for the money so any feedback would me much appreciated.
Old 20-02-2014

Second hand Xray. TRF Yokomo will be better value in the long run.
Believe me go to your local track and get a popular 1
Old 20-02-2014

I generally advise staying away from the stripped down kits like that. You could get a second hand top spec car for the same money, which will be more competitive in the short term and cheaper in the long run.

Xray are usually the best bet second hand. They're made so well to start with that even after a couple of seasons use they're still in great shape.
Old 20-02-2014

I ran the BD7 RS for quite a while and to be honest i wouldnt recommend it. For 17.5t blinky i suspect out of the box it will be fine but as soon as boost is applied it starts to destroy itself.

To get the car to handle i had to spend another £100+ on top, for full fat BD7 roll bars front n rear, all the drive train components, springs etc etc, when it comes down to it, not worth it to be honest, especially in boosted.

for blinky as said, might be fine, boosted..no expect to spend money straight away.

That being said when it was setup and we found its sweet spot it was a wolf in sheeps clothing, very capable but at the same time it was costing me near the same as a full fat BD7 so have a think about that.
Old 20-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
I generally advise staying away from the stripped down kits like that. You could get a second hand top spec car for the same money, which will be more competitive in the short term and cheaper in the long run.

Xray are usually the best bet second hand. They're made so well to start with that even after a couple of seasons use they're still in great shape.
Hi there, the xray does look quite good but I was more wanting to get a brand new kit. The xray is defiantly an option though. Would any top spec used car be half decent or is there any in particle that I should stay well away from?
Old 20-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurcyP View Post
I ran the BD7 RS for quite a while and to be honest i wouldnt recommend it. For 17.5t blinky i suspect out of the box it will be fine but as soon as boost is applied it starts to destroy itself.

To get the car to handle i had to spend another £100+ on top, for full fat BD7 roll bars front n rear, all the drive train components, springs etc etc, when it comes down to it, not worth it to be honest, especially in boosted.

for blinky as said, might be fine, boosted..no expect to spend money straight away.

That being said when it was setup and we found its sweet spot it was a wolf in sheeps clothing, very capable but at the same time it was costing me near the same as a full fat BD7 so have a think about that.
Hi there, I don't like the sound of that at all! I was planning to run it probably in open mod as well! It would be in complete bits!
Old 21-02-2014

I have bought a second hand Xray T2 009 and T3 12 with indoor use only and they looked like new. They are still running original wishbones hubs ect with the exception of the front right steering knuckle on both cars all my fault.
You should be ably to pick up a T4 or even T4 14 in like new condition.
The other to look at as good new value is the DETC410 not sure of release date yet but it is all the best bits of a TRF417, T4, ARC R10 and BD7 on 1 chassis for about £320
Old 21-02-2014
Mad Member

Just watch the classifieds.

I picked up a T3 2012, full (top end) electrics, 3 sets of wheels for a little over 150 quid.
It's technically 3rd hand, but from looking at it, you'd never tell. I've put more scrapes on it in 100 odd laps of our outdoor track than it had when I got it.

The other car I was looking at was an entry level car (Schumacher Mi1), which to get to the same state as the xray (a runner) would have cost me north of 250 quid. And left me with an inferior car.
Old 21-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
Hi there, I don't like the sound of that at all! I was planning to run it probably in open mod as well! It would be in complete bits!
To be honest I wouldn't recommend running open mod to anyone new to TC, the speeds and acceleration are totally insane. It's nothing like running mod in a buggy (which I've done). I consider myself a decent driver, with 20 years experience (17 years in TC), and I still wouldn't touch an open mod TC these days!

13.5 boosted is enough for most of us, as these will be doing over 50mph at the end of the straight and will get there in a couple of seconds.

But if you do go that way, you want something bloody strong, so an Xray is really the best option. Definitely stay away from the budget/Chinese kits for mod.
Old 21-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by beale View Post
I have bought a second hand Xray T2 009 and T3 12 with indoor use only and they looked like new. They are still running original wishbones hubs ect with the exception of the front right steering knuckle on both cars all my fault.
You should be ably to pick up a T4 or even T4 14 in like new condition.
The other to look at as good new value is the DETC410 not sure of release date yet but it is all the best bits of a TRF417, T4, ARC R10 and BD7 on 1 chassis for about £320
Hi there, I love the look of the DETC410 and as I run a DEX410 (4wd Durango buggy) it would be staying with the same brand.
Old 21-02-2014

Quote:
To be honest I wouldn't recommend running open mod to anyone new to TC, the speeds and acceleration are totally insane. It's nothing like running mod in a buggy (which I've done). I consider myself a decent driver, with 20 years experience (17 years in TC), and I still wouldn't touch an open mod TC these days!

13.5 boosted is enough for most of us, as these will be doing over 50mph at the end of the straight and will get there in a couple of seconds.

But if you do go that way, you want something bloody strong, so an Xray is really the best option. Definitely stay away from the budget/Chinese kits for mod.
Hi there, I'm not quite sure yet as to running mod. I'm not a beginner at all in racing as I've been running a buggy for well over a year and am able to make A finals quite regularly but I don't know yet if mod is such a good idea.
Old 21-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
To be honest I wouldn't recommend running open mod to anyone new to TC, the speeds and acceleration are totally insane. It's nothing like running mod in a buggy (which I've done). I consider myself a decent driver, with 20 years experience (17 years in TC), and I still wouldn't touch an open mod TC these days.

Tell me about it. The electrics in the t3 I got included a boosted 5.5t motor.
Apparently, top speed is well in excess of 100kph.

I've put an unboosted 6.5t in there now, and it's still insane. (It's not that bad, we do have a large track set up for 8th scale nitros........)

Putting the 5.5 in the buggy was probably a bad idea.
Old 23-02-2014

I picked up a brand new still in plastic wrap BD7 (2013) for £250 so the deals are out there.

Just sit on eBay and oople for a week and you will find a deal.

As mentioned above see which is the most popular chassis at your club and go with the flow.

I ran the X-ray T4 last year and am running the BD7 this (only converted as I have a yokomo DIB drift chassis which shares a good number of parts).

Both seem identically built quality wise but the T4 is the prettiest.

My final thought would be buy a nearly new, only used on carpet, no expense spared BD7 or T4. They come up very often on here and eBay. Plus used you normally get some spares too. I know you want new, I would too but nearly new you can't tell.

By the way Hobbyking now sell the X-ray range and a T4 costs about £310 from them.
Old 23-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
I picked up a brand new still in plastic wrap BD7 (2013) for £250 so the deals are out there.

Just sit on eBay and oople for a week and you will find a deal.

As mentioned above see which is the most popular chassis at your club and go with the flow.

I ran the X-ray T4 last year and am running the BD7 this (only converted as I have a yokomo DIB drift chassis which shares a good number of parts).

Both seem identically built quality wise but the T4 is the prettiest.

My final thought would be buy a nearly new, only used on carpet, no expense spared BD7 or T4. They come up very often on here and eBay. Plus used you normally get some spares too. I know you want new, I would too but nearly new you can't tell.

By the way Hobbyking now sell the X-ray range and a T4 costs about £310 from them.
Hi there, thanks for the advise, to be honest I'm not too bothered by new or used anymore it was just with normally being into off-road, the used cars I've got before were normally quite worn i.e scrapes, worn driveshafts etc, but looking at used TCs they usually look really good no matter how old/used they are. I quite like the look of the Schumacher MI4CXL and they go for quite cheap.
Old 23-02-2014

Good chassis the CXL generates lots of grip just carry some spare hubs, wishbones, and knuckles. Wishbones are the weakest point, from what I've seen.
Now this is the kind of thing to look for, not clean carpet use admittedly but low use
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146017