Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 23-11-2015

Default Which 2wd buggy

Returning to the hobby after 20 years. Looking at buying a 2wd buggy, think narrowed down to lossi or Schumacher, any suggestions? Will be racing at Herts and Stotfold. Also with regard to radio, will be using sticks, to keep cost down will look for 2nd hand, any pointers to for ale threads? Thanks, Dave
Old 23-11-2015
Mad Member

Either cars should be pretty good.

The Schumacher is possibly the better car for Stotfold, not seen a 22-3.0 yet to know how good it is. But the Losi has some good Team drivers racing at Herts, so there's always help with set up there.
Old 23-11-2015

Thanks John. Plan to visit Herts this Sunday to see what people are running. Any good 2nd hand sites/forums?
Old 23-11-2015
Mad Member

Here tends to be pretty good for secondhand stuff.

Or there's normally someone trackside that knows of stuff for sale, plus you get to see it working first, which is always a bonus.
Old 24-11-2015

Thanks, will take a look.
Old 24-11-2015

If you're going to be at Stotfold a lot of the guys there are running Schumacher already so spares and advice will be more readily available.

Otherwise either make is likely to be competitive. Just depends what flavour you fancy
Old 24-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just get a yokomo yz2 kit and you're sorted.
Don't mess about with ae, losi or the other no-name brands.

Schumacher are great, UK designed and built, but if you like a new "team" part every week be prepared to get you cheque book out.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24-11-2015

so don't mess with a AE the car that just won the worlds ?
Old 24-11-2015
Mad Member

all the "big" brands are fine whether it be Schumacher ,yokomo AE losi or team c

schumacher tend to be most numerous and parts are easily available
yokomo after years in the wilderness are back with a bang and very solid cars

AE and losi popularity has wilted a little over the past years in the UK but by no means are poor cars

team c are relatively new performers but have good backing too

each racer has his own "favourites" returning racers will probably not make good the performance of the latest incarnation and will get better value from secondhand used equipment

whatever you choose there is plenty of good advice on this forum

always do your homework think twice get advice go to your local track get advice then buy according to your pocket not your dreams

regards dave
Old 24-11-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

just to point out, my Schumacher beats neals yok, so there not that bad

there all good cars see what's popular at your local track
Old 24-11-2015

I race at Herts. There are mainly a mixture of KF/KF2, B5M's and Losi 22's at club meetings. With drivers of similar ability, on a dry day, the KF/KF2 seem to have an advantage, wet to damp, the mid motors have the edge. Superstar's will make anything look fast.
Old 24-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan may View Post
so don't mess with a AE the car that just won the worlds ?
You can't buy the car that just won the worlds. If the B5M was so good (on UK style tracks), everyone would run them, but they don't. And Craggy doesn't run a B5M (or lite or champs edition)...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
just to point out, my Schumacher beats neals yok, so there not that bad

there all good cars see what's popular at your local track
Only because you didn't get taken out by the black car Mark ;-)

I have a KF also, and numerous other Schumacher cars. I like them, but like yokomo's more.
Old 25-11-2015

Default which car

everyones opinion on what car doesnt really count
you have to find a car that suits your style of driving and what you feel comfortable with.
what suits one person may not suit you the yz2 is good out the box but then I own a yz2 so im going to say that same as schumacher owners ae owners team c firebolt xray owners will say the same but in the end it all comes down to what you feel right driving try before you buy if you can asking for peoples opinions on which will be the right car could end up costing you money you dont have or can afford to spend on buying one car then realising that you cant get on with that car( and I be open and honest enough to say Im one of those people who has done that bought a car to realise it didnt suit me and my driving style)opinions are just that end of the day it will come down to which ever car you choose being right for you.
Old 25-11-2015

Thanks all for your comments, somethig for me to think about! I will get myself down to some club meetings, makes sense to get something that is popular in the clubs i will be visiting.
Old 25-11-2015
Mad Member

I'm going to stick my two-penneth in here even as a non expert. As has been said above, there is no clear "best car" as everyone will have their favourites. At the moment I have a YZ2 which I love, is robust and quick out of box, but there is no doubt that others are fast too.

One comment I will make is that KFs seem quick in dry but they also seem fragile. I recall one particular race meet at Batley earlier this summer with 6 cars in A final which were 3 KFs, 1 B5M and 2 YZ2s. Only 3 cars finished and none were KFs as all had a front left wishbone failure on the same corner / bump.

Losi seem to be very strong (I believe I've seen the term "tanks" used) but are not popular at Batley so I can't really comment on speed. I'm sure the new ones will be quick though.

Ultimately, go for what is popular at your club as you will be able to get set up help and urgent spares if needed at a race (so you don't end up going home due to a breakage) - particularly if going for a Schumacher as they seem to need a lot...

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 25-11-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
I'm going to stick my two-penneth in here even as a non expert. As has been said above, there is no clear "best car" as everyone will have their favourites. At the moment I have a YZ2 which I love, is robust and quick out of box, but there is no doubt that others are fast too.

One comment I will make is that KFs seem quick in dry but they also seem fragile. I recall one particular race meet at Batley earlier this summer with 6 cars in A final which were 3 KFs, 1 B5M and 2 YZ2s. Only 3 cars finished and none were KFs as all had a front left wishbone failure on the same corner / bump.

Losi seem to be very strong (I believe I've seen the term "tanks" used) but are not popular at Batley so I can't really comment on speed. I'm sure the new ones will be quick though.

Ultimately, go for what is popular at your club as you will be able to get set up help and urgent spares if needed at a race (so you don't end up going home due to a breakage) - particularly if going for a Schumacher as they seem to need a lot...
Again what is best thread.

"Ashlandchris" I think this says more about the drivers of the Schumacher's that the car itself.

I bought a 2nd hand KF last year and have only broke one front hub since owning it, take from that what you will.
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 25-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Good example Chris, but it was 4 non-finishing KF's, not 3. The drivers of those all watched in disbelief as I hit the part of the track that took them all out time and time again each lap with the YZ2.

Look at what's popular and common at the tracks you intend to go to. if the car works well for those drivers, it should work well for you, given some local setup help and knowledge, not to mention parts help if you are stuck without a spare.
Old 25-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
Again what is best thread.

"Ashlandchris" I think this says more about the drivers of the Schumacher's that the car itself.

I bought a 2nd hand KF last year and have only broke one front hub since owning it, take from that what you will.
No, more about the brutal track we ran that day...
The drivers were all classed as good on regional and national level, better than me, but that isn't hard ;-)
Old 25-11-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
No, more about the brutal track we ran that day...
The drivers were all classed as good on regional and national level, better than me, but that isn't hard ;-)
Certainly, the standard of driving was high, but on a slight left hand bend there was a "lump" very tight to the left. There was a protection in place, but the racing lines of the drivers kept tight left and snicked it very consistently on each lap. Every car, but only the KFs broke.

Ironically, the lower standard drivers (i.e. me ) didn't suffer as they weren't as quick or as tight to the inside of the bend

Again, I am only stating what was seen on the day as I marshalled that corner, and spent more time gathering bits of KF to take off track than I did marshalling in that particular final!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...