Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 07-11-2016

Default Looking to Join for 2wd Off Road

Hi all,

Looking at re-joining a club and although I'm up in Oxshott; I think SHRCC will be my closest club for 2wd off road.

I am trying to create an account to get BRCA membership but the website doesn't seem to be working for new members/joining.

It would be good to come down and see what it's all about on one of your practice evenings.

I've just picked up a new VBC Firebolt from the classifieds on here and I am in the process off finishing it off with some brushless electrics (nothing fancy) and a shorty LiPo I had from my last car.

This setup certainly won't be competitive but it would be good to get my eye back in, if you like, on weekday evenings

Anything I should know about the club, membership etc? Would be good to get some tips on set up from some other racers. I don't even have a fast charger at the moment!
Old 07-11-2016

Hi,

Great stuff. We only had one vbc firbolt at the club and it went round very well. Chris at the club used it so oh should be able to get som good tips off him.

We are open every Thursday evening for racing, every other Tuesday for practice (open this Tuesday) and every other Sunday (open week on Sunday) for racing too.

Pop along and bring the buggy. I believe you are ok for the first 3 meetings without a brca license, after that you will need one.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2016

Perfect - Thanks Dobber!

Parts I need to complete are unlikely to be here tomorrow so it looks like next Tuesday at the earliest.

Will drop the BRCA email if the website doesn't sort itself out in the next few days

I doubt I'll be quick and I'll be on a steep learning curve but I need a cheaper hobby than full size cars, which are costing me far too much!

Looking forward to it and thanks for the reply.
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 12-11-2016

Glad you found your way over from the PH forum, the guys here should offer lots of help and good advice
Old 12-11-2016

Thanks Keith

Have a couple more LiPos, fast charger, motor, ESC and pinions in the post somewhere!

It's all up and running as it is so I'll try and get down the next Tuesday practice.

Will that be the 22nd?
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 13-11-2016

Yes, next practice is 22nd. Why not pop along on Thursday and race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom9 View Post
Thanks Keith

Have a couple more LiPos, fast charger, motor, ESC and pinions in the post somewhere!

It's all up and running as it is so I'll try and get down the next Tuesday practice.

Will that be the 22nd?
Old 14-11-2016

Hi Dobber,

I think I really need some practice and the car needs a shakedown first... I am still waiting for some more pinions (will be very undergeared at the moment I suspect) and other parts to turn up, so I am best not being a moving road block in the Z Final to start with.

Just want to find a comfortable set up, make sure the temps are all good and get my eye in... whilst not coming last!

Plus, Thursday evenings are not generally great for me, sadly.
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 19-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom9 View Post
Hi Dobber,

I think I really need some practice and the car needs a shakedown first... I am still waiting for some more pinions (will be very undergeared at the moment I suspect) and other parts to turn up, so I am best not being a moving road block in the Z Final to start with.

Just want to find a comfortable set up, make sure the temps are all good and get my eye in... whilst not coming last!

Plus, Thursday evenings are not generally great for me, sadly.

There are practice nights every other Tuesday which basically gives you 3 hours of pure tracktime practicing ........ Look up the SHRCCC facebook page for the dates ....... and don't worry about your speed, I'm a newbie to the club myself and nowhere near the skill and speed of the others but the guys give you buggy and driving tips ..... and above all, its a really friendly atmosphere!

RC Blogger and Enthusiast
Mad about Orb Racing and FWD RCs
Old 20-11-2016

Sounds great! I don't Facebook but I'll try and head down this Tuesday evening.

I'll certainly be at the beginner end of the spectrum. I've got a couple more shorty LiPos now so I can do more than 5mins at least! Perhaps forever with the 19t pinion that's in there!

Still waiting on a new ESC, pinions etc so I'll get some practice in while the car is 'slow'!
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 22-11-2016

Thanks to everyone who made me feel so welcome this evening!

I haven't been home long - managed to find every diversion, crash and road works on the way home!

Went onto MB Models website and the only part they have out of stock is that "arm pin pivot ball" that I need to sort that rear wishbone issue!

Apologies for all the crashes etc I absolutely loved it though - so much fun.

My set up, out of the box, actually seemed to work pretty well! I don't think the car was the major issue with the lack of speed

Gearing seemed spot on and the car wasn't lacking straight line speed and although there's a bit of initial understeer (that could probably be dialed out with a little less toe-in, which I was quite aggressive with) I think I'll leave it alone as it was pretty wet out there.

Even the Schumacher yellow mini darts seemed to do an ok job. Just need to get used to this trigger/wheel controller!

The car doesn't look quite as pretty as a few hours ago but held up surprisingly well. I am just not sure why these bolt heads seem to shear. Other than missing that cup after that bolt sheared, everything else should clean up nicely!
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 22-11-2016
Mad Member

well done sir
well and truly hooked ?

nice to see you acknowledging your host club ,a lot of people put a lot of hardwork in for others to enjoy and its often overlooked

well done to all involved keep it fun

dave fid ( along way away oop north and east in RC wilderness (Lincolnshire)
Old 23-11-2016

Good to hear that you had fun ...... It's what the club is all about tbh ...... We have such a diverse range of buggies and drivers it's quite intriguing ....... Shame I can't make it to the track at the moment otherwise would have caught up with you to see how you're getting on ......

But welcome to SHRCCC ........

Old 23-11-2016

It's a great set up and despite the rain; everyone seemed in good spirits.

It's going to be a steep learning curve but a lot of great fun!

Just need to find a better route to/ from with all these road works!

Hopefully MB Models get the parts I need in stock in the next couple of weeks but I guess I can probably order them from the manufacturer, direct, if not!
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 23-11-2016

How did the VBC fair at the track ? did you manage to pace yourself with one of the regulars? Should've been ok - I remember when I joined the club last year with my Tamiya DT-02's ...... one was running 10.5 blinky, the other was running a sport tuned 23T brushed ..... ahhhh race nights were so amusing back then ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg File 23-11-2016, 13 17 30 Resized.jpeg (207.0 KB, 13 views)

Old 24-11-2016

Pace myself with one of the regulars? Ummmm.... No.

To be fair, I managed one whole clean lap whilst going easy on the throttle but never two at a time and I am not even sure I nailed 2 corners in a row, whilst giving it the beans. When it came together (rarely), it seemed quick.

My inputs just aren't refined/ delicate enough. I do wonder if I should go back to sticks but I'll persevere for now. It's very early days. It has been 20yrs since I had a Mardave Cobra for racing and a stick transmitter! Brushless motors and these trigger/ wheel transmitters are a whole new world!

The actual car performed very well IMHO. It jumped nicely (when positioned correctly pre-jump), was fast on the straight and seemed pretty smooth (considering it was running a sensorless setup). I've got a sensored setup (or will when the postman delivers it) but I might leave this for now and get used to the car as it is.

I was getting a lot of understeer on corner entry, which surprised me as I am running a shorty LiPo, down the chassis, as close to the front as possible. However, I was possibly running a little high with a little too much toe-in. I set it up 'by eye' with a view to it hopefully being easy to drive and taking a few hits. That didn't necessarily work out to plan, as the heavens opened up and there just wasn't enough steering.

Perhaps the Schumacher Yellow Mini Darts (and medium inserts) were wrong for the track/ conditions as well. I'll need to buy a bit of a selection, I guess.

Lots of oversteer/ fishtailing coming out of corners on the power. I think we can put that down to the driver and a lack of delicacy on the trigger and the steering. Possibly I could tweak the ESC modes/ settings as well.

So, lots to learn on the driving front and some set up to play with. I'd like to try it in the dry, as it is, however just to see where the chassis/ grip/ setup is before I go fiddling too much.

Spoke with MB Models and they should have my pivot cup things in by Fri/ Mon so I should be good to head down the next practice Tuesday. I might pick up some more parts in the next order 'just in case'.

However, the car itself seems excellent and I have no doubt a seasoned driver there would have made it look very good with some minor tweaks. I certainly don't think I need spend more money on chassis/ motors/ batteries/ electrics/ chargers etc as my budget set up seems to offer way more than my skills and it'll take a good while to catch up and know what I am doing.
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 29-11-2016

Should try a race night! A nice experience to actually be focused and drive for 5 mins. I was scared initially as I kept thinking my skill level wasn't up to it, and it wasn't up to it! But it makes you focus Driving the heats and improves your driving even though you're only driving about five minutes at a time ...... Plus the guys all give you a hand with setup and driving tips .....

Old 01-12-2016

I'll definitely try and do a Thursday but more often than not, it's a drinking night!

Would be good to get down on Tuesday again but my parts are held up in customs so we'll have to see!
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 03-12-2016

Lol - come drink tea/coffee and play with your toy car down at the track.

I was there last Thursday. It was truly freezing but it was one very enjoyable night ...... I know you said you don't do Facebook, but checkout the clubs Facebook page every now and again to catch up on the frolics.

Old 03-12-2016

Playing with my toy car has already amused my friends greatly but possibly no more so than my love of 90s French hot hatches

My parts have arrived in stock and been ordered so I should be good to go on Tuesday, which is warmer and dryer by the looks of things!

It looks like there is a fair chance I'll be working in Woking from some time in January so it will be easier to get down the track after work, which may help. I'm still not sure I could justify binning Mrs9 off for two nights a week but you never know!

She's on FB so will take a look at the club page with her when she reappears from her night out last night!

My selection of pinions has now turned up, as well as my cheap sensored ESC and motor but I think I'll have a fiddle with the geometry next time out and try and find a nice setup before I change anything electric (or even gearing) as it all seemed 'fine' last time out.

A lot of guys recommended lighter oil in the rear dampers than the front, when the car was built, so I am running 40wt(F)/35wt(R). I might dial out some of the aggressive front toe-in next time out and see if the understeer can be tamed and, if not, I may look at switching the damper oils round - start with the simple stuff. Perhaps I need less toe at the rear but I guess that needs some new parts.
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 06-12-2016

Parts just arrived from MB Models (thanks Michael) but I am slammed at work.

Not sure I am going to have time to get my work done, get the car back together and come down tonight.

Back from a trip on the 20th so I am not sure Mrs9 will want me sneaking straight out that evening, so it looks like it's the first practice of the New Year for me!

Happy Christmas everyone! Looking forward to more practice and perhaps some racing in 2017!
Associated RC12R5.1