Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 21-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Intellect SC 4600 Self Discharged

Hi Guys

My buddy has got 5 packs of SC-4600 cells. He`s not raced for about 3 months and every cell has self discharged to 0.00v on my MuchMore CTX-D2

The packs have only been used 4 times so are they still useable ? . My Pulsar 3 tells me "battery error" when i try to charge them.

Whats the plan ? Put 12V across them for 5 seconds ! ?

Please help

Thanks

See My Feedback

Old 21-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Hi Guys

My buddy has got 5 packs of SC-4600 cells. He`s not raced for about 3 months and every cell has self discharged to 0.00v on my MuchMore CTX-D2

The packs have only been used 4 times so are they still useable ? . My Pulsar 3 tells me "battery error" when i try to charge them.

Whats the plan ? Put 12V across them for 5 seconds ! ?

Please help

Thanks
i had the same problemjust flashed them for 1 second across 12vtry to keep 1000mah in packs,if stood for quite a while
Old 21-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Try putting a charged set of batteries side by side with them, then stick them on charge . it fools the charger into thinking the set is ok and you can kick start them for about 200mah then remove other set and continue charging
Old 21-09-2008

If you want your cells to last don't connect them to anything without a current limit. The best way is either use a charger that can start from 0V or use a bench PSU set to 7V/2A.
If you don't have access to either of them you can use another battery pack or a 12V source, you just need a current-limiting resistor.

For 12V I'd use a 4.7R 10W resistor, which will initially give about 2A, falling to about 1.2A assuming all the cells come up. Maplin sells them: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2181 part: H4R7

The problem with batteries that have gone completely flat is they may have soft-shorts internally, so when you connect them to another pack, or 12V, the current is much higher than expected. Sometimes this will remove the shorts, but generally isn't good for the cells.

Last edited by dev; 21-09-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 21-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thankyou guys - i used the Voltage out on the Pulsar 3 for 3 seconds @ 5v and they are now charging fine

See My Feedback