Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 27-05-2015

That's a great looking ZX-R.
Old 27-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
It's been a long time coming but I've finally taken some pics of my ZXR. It's first outing was a clubday where I raced it in with the modern cars. Surprisingly I got two 1st's and then a 2nd placing to a Losi 22-4.

Next up was the New Zealand Vintage Nationals....the very first ever vintage meeting ever held here. I raced it in 4wd modified (pre 1995) and was the only Lazer at the event. Qualified 3rd and ended up getting 2nd in the finals to a very well sorted Egress. Also raced a Turbo Mid Special with Lazer suspension in the stock class and came home with the win.

Only one small hicup so far.....a broken rear bulkhead after an awkward landing off the triples

Overall an awesome car to drive and thanks so much for all the help/tips in this thread
Hi ! You never use the belt cover LA 34 when you race outdoor ?
Old 28-05-2015

Thanks Welshy!
I´ll keep it "stock" for this summer. In Finland we have long winter to build things!
Looks like at least special unicrank with ball bearings and better weight distribution are way to go. Perhaps B4 slipper too.
To move batteries more fwd, I have extra LA-16 main chassis to use. Or to take shape if I decide to make carbon one Actually I use stick pack for now, so battery position is bit more fwd than using saddle packs.
Yesterday found steering a bit sloppy. Looks like one screw is loose there, and also found tiny crack at servo saver, where rod is attached to servo side. So one thing more to take care before I can try some racing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Welcome to the club, its a great car in standard form but you can turn it into something more stunning when you feel the need.
Old 28-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Hi ! You never use the belt cover LA 34 when you race outdoor ?
No.....there's no need to. The undertray seems to do a good job of keeping the dirt out. Kyosho must have thought so too as only the ZX had the belt covers......the ZXR and ZXRR didn't have them.

Last edited by type49rs; 28-05-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 28-05-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
Thanks Welshy!
I´ll keep it "stock" for this summer. In Finland we have long winter to build things!
Looks like at least special unicrank with ball bearings and better weight distribution are way to go. Perhaps B4 slipper too.
To move batteries more fwd, I have extra LA-16 main chassis to use. Or to take shape if I decide to make carbon one Actually I use stick pack for now, so battery position is bit more fwd than using saddle packs.
Yesterday found steering a bit sloppy. Looks like one screw is loose there, and also found tiny crack at servo saver, where rod is attached to servo side. So one thing more to take care before I can try some racing !
I find the kimbrough servo saver is the best, zero slop and protects the servo without fail, mine used to be listed as large but think and could be wrong is now medium.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 28-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
No.....there's no need to. The undertray seems to do a good job of keeping the dirt out. Kyosho must have thought so too as only the ZX had the belt covers......the ZXR and ZXRR didn't have them.
All the team drivers preferred removing the covers as it reduced friction and made the drive train more free.
Answer UK team driver
Old 29-05-2015

Stripped steering parts yesterday, wasn´t so happy with parts, so ended up to purchase couple of blue 39655 special unicrank-assys.
Also need to change steering servo to better one, there was sloppy Futaba S3001 installed. I will install Futaba S5101 dual ball beared for now, since I have not any better atm. It´s pretty nice, but slow.
I have really good experiences about Futaba S9550, maybe I will go for newer version of that (S9551). It´s bit pricey though.
Old 29-05-2015

I use a 9551 and is a very good servo but use a kimbough servo saver as that way it will last for years.
Answer UK team driver
Old 29-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
Hello!
Picked up my first Lazer, the ZX-RR last week from 1st owner. It´s nice addition to my tiny Optima 4wd and mid-collection!
It´s in very good condition, never raced and just been sitting for last 18 years. Has nice Le Mans HF torque competition motor, which I already stripped for overhaul. It also needs some care, at least Ultimate shocks are leaking a bit.
I made some test runs with 19T stock motor, and it really runs nicely. Very different machine compared to my Optima Pro-runner!
Nice find Sami!

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 30-05-2015

Question guys......I'm currently running the MK1 ZXR slipper setup with the wavy washers but I'm wanting to change to the spring setup as found on the MK2 ZXR's. I can't seem to find a part number anywhere....does anybody know what spring would be compatible?
Old 01-06-2015

As most of you are aware Jimmy aka Mr Oople has recently passed away at a very young age. Now due to this im uncertain on if Oople will still be so just keeping ontop of this so if the site goes down (hopefully not) and anyone needs me then use my username and add hotmail.com at the end and you will get me.
Answer UK team driver
Old 02-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
As most of you are aware Jimmy aka Mr Oople has recently passed away at a very young age. Now due to this im uncertain on if Oople will still be so just keeping ontop of this so if the site goes down (hopefully not) and anyone needs me then use my username and add hotmail.com at the end and you will get me.
That's horrible news welshy, poor guy
Kyosho lazer zx-5
Old 05-06-2015

I'm looking at trying to find rear universals for my zxr's.I've read the posts previously about this. The part number is la245 for the zx5 ones that fit...
The ones for sale are are about 40£. I find that a stupid price.
Does anyone know where to get any?
Kyosho lazer zx-5
Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedarren View Post
I'm looking at trying to find rear universals for my zxr's.I've read the posts previously about this. The part number is la245 for the zx5 ones that fit...
The ones for sale are are about 40£. I find that a stupid price.
Does anyone know where to get any?
Price is high but these are rebuildable plus a better quality product and after a few years have virtually zero slop on mine. I didnt pay that amount so try ebay, amazon, gumtree and uk modelshops via google.
Answer UK team driver
Old 21-06-2015

Default La 31 rear bulkhead

Hi all. Raced my zxr today. Didn't go very well. Broke half way through first race. The slipper nut came off, but I was able to repair that. But then I noticed I had no susspension travel in the rear. On inspection I've found I broke the rear bulkhead off at the top. Now the parts tree for this is expensive. I don't mind paying that but now I'm the second person at our club to break one. Just wondering if anyone knew if an alloy part had been made at any time for this part or if there was an easy way to strengthen the original part. I have a spare one on my brand new zxr that's never been raced but I'd like to make it stronger so I don't break it again. Any help would be appreciated
Kyosho lazer zx-5
Old 21-06-2015

No alloy one made but ive made a cf gearbox that bolts around it however its costly so would design a cf plate for both sides that follows the bulkhead so you can bolt through all three screw holes. You will have to space it so you can bolt over the gearbox holder connection sections. This will look ugly but will work.
Answer UK team driver
Old 21-06-2015

I kind of get what you mean welshy. As long as it was strong it would be all good. This seems to be a weak point on the car and would be good to improve it for our track and the other Zxr's running there.
Kyosho lazer zx-5
Old 21-06-2015

Yes i agree but ive only broken two one on the same day and event as Jamie booth, he didnt have a spare and neither did I so super glue and tie rodes where used to continue racing.

However there are several ways it can be strengthend, having someone make an alloy plate that can be fitted on the inner side of the shock tower side and bending 90 degrees to the gearbox connector holes. Maybe i do need to design a cf version but will cost me to have a mold made so all can buy it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 21-06-2015

It seems almost every part on this car has been strengthened apart from this part. It's hard case if you look on ebay a few of these parts trays are missing the rear bulkhead so people are breaking them. There must be a market for them
Kyosho lazer zx-5
Old 23-06-2015

Are you talking about this part, which I broke too...?
But now I have repaired it with some special carbon work .
Just need to assemble my Lazer (I stripped it totally in parts..) and we´ll see how it works.
Also managed to get spare set form Oli4ke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazer shock tower mount bracket.jpg (286.7 KB, 11 views)