Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 10-04-2012

Default New member.

Hello all.

I paid you guys a visit on Sunday afternoon and I'm thinking of joining your club.
I used visit frequently over twenty years ago.
I've got an RC 10 B4.1 and I'm going to upgrade to brushless.
Can anybody tell me what I can and can't use at the club please?
What motors are you typically running there or can anyone recommend (as there's a lot out there).
Or even...if anyone has a half decent motor and ESC for sale.

Cheers,

Stu.

Last edited by Stu RC10; 10-04-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 10-04-2012
Admin

Hi,
In terms of what you can and cannot use at the club, there aren't any restrictions.
You could also still be competetive with brushed equipment, its just harder work to maintain than the new brushless gear.
For a B4.1 I would reccomend an 8.5 motor, although if your a bit "rusty" you may wish to start off with something a little slower. I would suggest you choose from one of the more established reputable manufacturers eg: LRP, Novak, Nosram, Orion, Trinity, Speed Passion, to name a few (sorry if I missed some others).
Speed controller wise, its down to budget and what your happy to spend. Maybe read some posts in the electrics section of oOple to get some ideas?

Hope to see you at the club soon

ps: There are quite a few of us who used to race at the club 20 years ago too !!
Old 10-04-2012

Excellent, thanks for that.
I'm now on the hunt for something suitable.
Otley Modelsport recommended a Speed Passion funnily enough.
I'll have to see what my budget will let me do.

See you soon (probably a week on Saturday).
Old 12-04-2012

I'm one of those 20 yrs ago bbc racers!!! i just have to agree whole heartedly with oscars advice!! see you at the track!!
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 13-04-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Stu,

I joined BBC two weeks ago after just returning to racing after 20 years off.
Lots of people I've spoken to recently can relate to your/our return story as well!
I too have a new B4.1 and have just made that leap to brushless. I must say it's a world away from racing brushed, far less hassle, far smoother power delivery and way more efficient.

Typically people are using 7.5-10.5 motors in 2wd, but I noticed when looking that cheaper or less well known brands do seem to have lower Kv ratings (RPM/volt) than the big brands top line/high $$$/racer spec motors. That means that 8.5T from one brand may be much faster or slower than another brand 8.5T, but look for good performance figures in the price point you can afford. Of course look for sensored setups, rather than sensorless, and don't get the cheapest speedo available (think too running hot/inefficient), pay a little more for a longer lasting unit.

I picked a big brand comp spec 10.5T, but it's rated to 4500Kv, so compares with other brands 8.5T on paper, and down the straight. It certainly performs well enough for me, and I've not messed with timing and speedo boost settings as yet.

I'd also recommend going to see or speaking with racer based shops, rather than a basher shop. Locally, MB models in Leeds have been great with me, and can't recommend them enough. Saying that, I have bought off Otley MS myself as well, but you need to know what you are asking as they don't race the stuff they sell.

Look forward to racing with you soon Stu!
Old 13-04-2012
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu RC10 View Post
See you soon (probably a week on Saturday).

Just to clarify, the meeting listed in our fixture list for 21/22nd is a regional event at Robin Hood Raceway, not an event at the Batley club.
Old 15-04-2012

Default I think I've chosen a motor.

Hello all.

I've got my eyes on a Speed Passion Competition BL 8.5T.

Any feedback on that one?