Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 19-09-2012

Default Help me put a kit together for £300

Is this possible for a reasonable starter kit (everything) with second hand parts where possible?

I'm after a 1/10 2wd buggy - don't know what type of controller - stick or wheel - maybe erring towards stick.

Seems like mid motored would be the way forward - local club is astroturf and this was recommended to me.

So if you can spot or suggest any parts from ebay, from this site or elsewhere that would be great.

I'm wondering if this would be a good deal/start
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160885862977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Battery and charger
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-LIPO-CHARGER-AND-BATTERY-FITS-HPI-FLUX-TRAXXAS-DEANS-FITMENT-/221125690357?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&ha sh=item337c1e43f5
- Any good - How much is it worth bidding upto?

Old 19-09-2012

Yes to the ansmann but the link to the battery's isn't working
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 19-09-2012

Hi. I'm doing the exact same thing right now. I set a target of £300 too just to see if it was possible. Well, I nearly did it! Second hand kit for £100. New tranny for £60. New motor for £45. New servo for £20. New Charger from China for £16. New 120A Speedo from China for £50. Just the LiPo's to get and that's all the basics.

All these bits are far from top of the range, but there is no reason why this package shouldn't be competitive. I think it'll end up costing about £350 when I'm done.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Re-started 2012. With Caster SK10
Driving Xray XB4 & Precirotate PRS1 V2 for 2014.
Hobby Pro PRS1 V2 2WD and PRSB10 4WD for 2015
Team Inside Line Racing with PR Racing buggies for 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Old 19-09-2012

I would have got close with my Durango 210 but bought that new.

210's go on eBay for about £140
Spectrum dx3c -£25 oople a few months ago
Hobbywing 120a esc and Orion 6.5 motor £100 - local club
Savox servo £25 - oople
2x losi short lipos £20 - oople
Spektrum receiver £20 eBay
Lipo charger £20 on eBay.

£350 realisticly if you shop around a bit
Mid east regional A final with the above as well. Still good kit!

www.ModelCarParties.co.uk - Radio Controlled Car Racing Events - Kids Parties, Fetes, Exhibitions etc

www.ElliottsDrivingSchool.co.uk - driving lessons, trailer training, young driving experience (14+). Areas covered include - Huntingdon, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford and surrounding towns / villages.
Old 20-09-2012

I've set my self a budget of £370 and I already have the Servo and Radio Gear.

But I'm avoiding second hand, as every RC I've had was second hand and I just want something new for once. But I imagine i'll end up spending a good £50 or so more.
Old 20-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshealey View Post
I've set my self a budget of £370 and I already have the Servo and Radio Gear.

But I'm avoiding second hand, as every RC I've had was second hand and I just want something new for once. But I imagine i'll end up spending a good £50 or so more.
That's easy.

What car are you looking at?

Speed Passion LPF - £89 excellent esc for the money.
Motor £60
Cells £70
Car £150
Charger £50

So a little over budget but possible.
Old 20-09-2012
Mad Member

A Losi 22 RTR is £300 retail and can be found for a LOT less. You'll need a LiPo and charger which can be had for under £100, and if you want to run mid-motor there are a couple of other parts you need to buy.

So for £400 you have a mid-motor car that is BRAND NEW and ready to race.

Durango have a 210 RTR on the way which can be made cheaply into a mid-motor - also BRAND NEW.

Associated and Team C/Ansmann both do RTR cars - granted with sensorless systems and rear motor - but entirely raceable and a lot less than your budget.

So why piece together second hand parts when your budget will get something new?
Old 20-09-2012

Were you the one I met at coventry model club the other night ?
Old 20-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ansmann Mad Monkey brushless RTR set up will be a good start. Charger and lipos can be had for failry low money, especially if second hand.
Only addition needed is some alloy shocks which again will cost around £30-40 for a decent second hand pair.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 20-09-2012

Giantshark sell brca legal saddles lipos for 20 quid (gens ace) and decent chargers for 40 quid or less.
Having returned to the sport after a 15 year abscence i have been through Losi 8ights, hobaos, losi 22, dex210, dex410, x4te and finally a db1. All in thr space of 2 1/2 years. One thing i have learned is do your research. Find a good local club for advice and to know what class is popular locally. Find a good model shop - not necessarily your nearest as i have had some crap advice in the past. Cheapest is not always best - more often than not i have spent double because it is either poor or i have outgrown it.

A great hobby which takes over your life.
Old 20-09-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philim View Post
Giantshark sell brca legal saddles lipos for 20 quid (gens ace) and decent chargers for 40 quid or less.
Having returned to the sport after a 15 year abscence i have been through Losi 8ights, hobaos, losi 22, dex210, dex410, x4te and finally a db1. All in thr space of 2 1/2 years. One thing i have learned is do your research. Find a good local club for advice and to know what class is popular locally. Find a good model shop - not necessarily your nearest as i have had some crap advice in the past. Cheapest is not always best - more often than not i have spent double because it is either poor or i have outgrown it.

A great hobby which takes over your life.
Good points...

I re-started around 7 years ago with a B3 for £26 off eBay, got it running with old bits in my garage and second hand stuff - total around £125.
7 years later I have 9 fully running cars, 2 helicopters, a generator, 5 transmitters and a wallet lighter by around £5000.
Personally I advise knowing exactly what you want, and sticking with it. Hopefully you'll have more willpower than me. RC IS an addiction!
Old 21-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-S View Post
Were you the one I met at coventry model club the other night ?
Hi yes that's me - After our discussion I've been looking at mid motored cars buy still don't want to spend £££ in case I don't like it/stay with it for a while and I'm thinking 2nd hand as I can sell the kit for a similar price to what I pay.
Old 21-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady_eddie View Post
Hi yes that's me - After our discussion I've been looking at mid motored cars buy still don't want to spend £££ in case I don't like it/stay with it for a while and I'm thinking 2nd hand as I can sell the kit for a similar price to what I pay.
On the flip side, you'll learn more, and possibly enjoy it more, if you build from scratch, you'll also get an early handle on how to set it up.

You also only need a couple of issues with a second hand car (new slipper assembly, couple of cracked plastic parts and a handful of bearings) and you may be approaching new prices anyway (depending on car/age of course!)
Old 24-09-2012

OK I went for the X2C on Ebay

- So just need a transmitter batteries and a charger.

The transmitter I'm looking at is a 2nd hand Futaba 3GR stick - seems like the etronix was copied off this?? Anyway quality should be a bit better than the core RC / Etronix so for an extra £30 should be worth it.

Batteries - there's a guy on here (only 14posts and that's mostly selling his gear) selling lipo saddle packs

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110852

But maybe I would be better off buying 2 new sets of these Zippy's from ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zippy-Turn...item4abc769c9d

Anyway getting there - I'm hoping to be out by the weekend....
Old 24-09-2012

Don't buy second hand lipos! Often they are at the end of their life and you never know what you are buying.

You can get brand new, BRCA legal, UK supplied lipos here cheaper. They are pretty good - I have used them for 4 months with no probs.

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/gens-510...-p-407514.html

I would avoid Zippys especially the saddle that are offered (Very large and lack punch) - Out of the 12 pack of lipos I own the only ones that have died are Zippys (3 packs).
The Turnigys are very good and would recommend those - you can buy them brand new here for not a lot more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...wer_Search.asp

Dont know if you have bought yet but JE Models have an X2C at £115 new

http://www.jemodels.com/electric-mod...50&keyword=x2c

If you are after a cheap charger this would do a good job for £29.

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/b6ac-bal...-p-406695.html
Old 25-09-2012

Just ordered this charger Based on the good reviews I should be able to find a laptop power supply for it no problem. - £22
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/power-ch...-p-406637.html

Will get 2 packs off ebay then for the lipo's as giant shark are out of stock on all saddle lipo's

One of the disadvantages of the X2C it would seem is the requirement for saddle lipo's - harder to get hold of and a bit more expensive - also do I connect them + to - in the car and to charge them? - are they 3.7v per saddle?

I've just paid for the Futaba £100 from a guy on here - seems like a good deal I'm pleased with that

Just about done I think?

So that's
Car £140 inc motor/esc/servo/spares
TX/RX £100
Charger + lipo bag + postage £27
Batteries (turnigy off ebay) 2x32
Total £331
So a bit over but that's due to 2 sets of batteries plus the Futaba controller rather than the etronix/core rc.

Pretty good I think. Just need that indian summer to play with it
Old 25-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

should be a competitive set up to get going with. As and when you improve you can upgrade individual bits to build up a better package, or branch out into 4wd too.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback