Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Hot Bodies / HPI

Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertonal View Post
I bought the 6.5t HPI motor a few weeks ago and I have run it twice now. So far it is going great, a good improvement from my old Losi Xceleron motor. I am interested and would like more info about the internal cooling fan or rotor as I run a B-Max which is a heavy car and makes the motor run very hot. Any info would be much appreciated.
How does it compare to the xcelorin?

In progress: Team Durango DEX410 V1-V4 hybrid ~ DESC410V2 ~ DEX210
Old 31-05-2011

It has more punch than the Xceleron, even though the timing on the esc is set at zero.
Old 02-06-2011

Quote:
I bought the 6.5t HPI motor a few weeks ago and I have run it twice now. So far it is going great, a good improvement from my old Losi Xceleron motor. I am interested and would like more info about the internal cooling fan or rotor as I run a B-Max which is a heavy car and makes the motor run very hot. Any info would be much appreciated.
Hi Evertonal

The internal cooling fan is a very lightweight aluminium part that attaches to the rotor by 2 grub screws. It is designed to reduce the internal temps of the lower solder ring for high stress applications like 10.5 touring car racing. In testing we found a 10-15 degree internal temp reduction in using the fan. The external motor can had very similar temperatures with or without the fan.

A simple way of reducing the motor temp is put a bigger rotor in. This will lose ultimate RPM but give you more torque (better feel) and run cooler with more natural brake effect from a stronger magnet.

Motor and ESC settings are very important. We set the motor on 7 degrees timing (minimum) from factory as this will be the safest setting to learn how your motor and ESC work together. Yes higher motor timing will create more power but it will also create more heat. We have found always increasing your ESC settings before your motor seems to result in a bigger performance step than simply cranking the motor up, that will just create excess waste heat in the motor.

We are working hard on the new ESC currently (for a year and a half now). We have taken national victories in Touring Car already with the prototype and have helped Craig Collinson (HULK on here) to get some career best results Off Road. We are looking to change the game with the ESC and so far all the indications are we are getting there very quickly

If you require anymore info please ask

Ben
Old 02-06-2011

Default HPI Pro Flux Motor

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the response. I am quite tempted to try the internal cooling fan as I think it could help prolong the life of my motor. Does running the internal fan affect the performance of the motor in any way?
Old 02-06-2011

Quote:
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the response. I am quite tempted to try the internal cooling fan as I think it could help prolong the life of my motor. Does running the internal fan affect the performance of the motor in any way?
It doesn't make a noticeable difference due to the lightweight design. In the past on other motors I have run fans inside which have felt different in the power delivery.

We tested 12 different designs and we found the best compromise with the one we ended up with
Old 02-06-2011

Thanks again for the response. Where can I get the internal fans from? Ta.
Old 02-06-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Will they be on the website any time soon?
We put them on today:

http://rclazy.com/shop/electronics/motors/

Are the fans available Ben?
Old 03-06-2011

Hi Guys

The optional rotors/sensor leads/fan are all available (althugh some are out of stock due to high demand)

Spares all available too.

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/catalogue...and=HP&pg=ECMA

Ben
Old 03-06-2011

Quote:
Thanks again for the response. Where can I get the internal fans from? Ta.
Any good model shop that deals with HPI!
Old 08-06-2011

Topspeed Belgium
Old 08-06-2011

I ran a 7.5 last time at the club and it wasnt far off the pace of my old lrp x12 6.5.

Its a fantastic motor and a bargain to boot ! Very pleased.
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Cosgrove View Post
Hi Evertonal

The internal cooling fan is a very lightweight aluminium part that attaches to the rotor by 2 grub screws. It is designed to reduce the internal temps of the lower solder ring for high stress applications like 10.5 touring car racing. In testing we found a 10-15 degree internal temp reduction in using the fan. The external motor can had very similar temperatures with or without the fan.

A simple way of reducing the motor temp is put a bigger rotor in. This will lose ultimate RPM but give you more torque (better feel) and run cooler with more natural brake effect from a stronger magnet.

Motor and ESC settings are very important. We set the motor on 7 degrees timing (minimum) from factory as this will be the safest setting to learn how your motor and ESC work together. Yes higher motor timing will create more power but it will also create more heat. We have found always increasing your ESC settings before your motor seems to result in a bigger performance step than simply cranking the motor up, that will just create excess waste heat in the motor.

We are working hard on the new ESC currently (for a year and a half now). We have taken national victories in Touring Car already with the prototype and have helped Craig Collinson (HULK on here) to get some career best results Off Road. We are looking to change the game with the ESC and so far all the indications are we are getting there very quickly

If you require anymore info please ask

Ben
Been trying very hard to get this motor going in my 17.5t boosted class but to no avail. Wouldn't even match the pace of my sp v3 that I had, any tips on setting this up? Will be used with a sp/hw esc. It just either gets too hot too quickly or is just outright slow in terms of laptimes. Everything was kept the same, (tires, goop, time of warming with goop) and my consistency is usually good so i don't think it was my getting lucky with the other motors and getting a better time.

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2011

Hi Defcone

Where do you race, any pictures or details?

What ESC setup are you running?

What gearing?

What timing?

What rotor?

What car and tyres?

Hopefully I may be able to suggest something to try based on the above...

Ben
Old 09-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Cosgrove View Post
Hi Defcone

Where do you race, any pictures or details?

What ESC setup are you running?

What gearing?

What timing?

What rotor?

What car and tyres?

Hopefully I may be able to suggest something to try based on the above...

Ben
I'm running 211 firmware hobbywing:
40 boost, 24 turbo, 250 Acc, 24 turbo slope, 4000start rpm, tried fdr from 4.8 to 6. Stock rotor(12.5mm) with internal fan, tried 7 to 17 degrees of can timing and didn't feel much speed difference so kept it at 7. But my fastest lap time was around 0.6 faster with the sp v3 motor and top 5/top 10 were 0.3 faster as well.

Running a yokomo bd5w, muchmore 32 absolute v tires with 17.5t boosted.

Thanks for the help, below is a pic of the track:

Old 10-06-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Really nice track!
Old 16-06-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Anyone running these with SP ESCs & what sort if timing are people setting on a 6.5?
Old 20-06-2011

Default Flux motor with SP esc

I run my Flux 6.5 with an SP 2.0 pro esc. I started off with 0 timing as I melted an SP 3.0 6.5t motor a few months ago. That was far too slow, but I have run it a few times now and I am gradually working my way up the timing settings. I am now up to 11.25 on my esc timing and my motor is not running too hot. I think I could go up one more notch on my esc and I will be more than fast enough without melting my motor.
Old 20-06-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

What motor timing are you running, car and gearing?
Old 20-06-2011

Default Flux motor with SP esc

Motor timing is as it came supplied, I assume that is zero but I don't know. I run it in a Yokomo B-Max with an 87 spur and 20 tooth pinion.
Old 21-06-2011

Is there any more news on the speedo?

In progress: Team Durango DEX410 V1-V4 hybrid ~ DESC410V2 ~ DEX210