Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 24-09-2017

Default Returning to racing

Hey guys,

First post although I have had a lot of help via private messages (thanks!)

I've managed to get some kit together second hand and after a month of rebuilding, cleaning and finding the right tools I finally had it working today and it was great fun to be driving again!

Basically I used to race regionally (north east) when I was a teenager but that was 20 years ago now. I'm going to come and embarrass myself at MB Models racetrack sometime, see if I can still get around a track, and wanted to ask some questions if anyone would be kind enough to help and give advice:

Are there chairs tables and power available in the pits or would I need to bring those and a car battery along with me (like I used to) to charge my kit?

Is it any issue to turn up late if I can make wednesdays? I may not be able to get there till around 6:30 so may miss track build, practice, booking in?

How much practice, qualification etc is there at a club meeting, I only have two lipos, if that fine to get through a meeting now? (We used to have a pack for each round when I was a kid, I'm still a bit unconvinced by this lipo/brushless witchcraft)

Thanks in advance!
Kev
Old 24-09-2017
Mad Member

ring mb and ask for ross im sure he will fill you in with all the necessary details

regards dave
Old 24-09-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKevC View Post
Hey guys,

First post although I have had a lot of help via private messages (thanks!)

I've managed to get some kit together second hand and after a month of rebuilding, cleaning and finding the right tools I finally had it working today and it was great fun to be driving again!

Basically I used to race regionally (north east) when I was a teenager but that was 20 years ago now. I'm going to come and embarrass myself at MB Models racetrack sometime, see if I can still get around a track, and wanted to ask some questions if anyone would be kind enough to help and give advice:

Are there chairs tables and power available in the pits or would I need to bring those and a car battery along with me (like I used to) to charge my kit?

Is it any issue to turn up late if I can make wednesdays? I may not be able to get there till around 6:30 so may miss track build, practice, booking in?

How much practice, qualification etc is there at a club meeting, I only have two lipos, if that fine to get through a meeting now? (We used to have a pack for each round when I was a kid, I'm still a bit unconvinced by this lipo/brushless witchcraft)

Thanks in advance!
Kev

Hi Kev, please try to pop down to the indoor venue MB raceway when you can. also look for the Saturday open practice sessions where you can spend the full day practising at your pleasure.
You'll soon pick is up and get back to where you were all those years ago.

Tables, chairs and power provided at the track. two lipos will be fine.
Just message the club via here or facebook if you intend to come to the wednesday night meeting and want to get pre-booked. racing is underway by 7pm.
Wednesday Club meetings doors open 5.30pm, racing by 7pm. Then 3 rounds and finals.
BRCA membership is mandatory for the MB Raceway.

I'll get the indoor season calandar posted here.

You can also find and join our Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BatleyBuggyClub/

Which has upto date photos and results from meetings.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 25-09-2017

Great thanks for the responses, that sounds great. I might wait for Saturday first then and at least I can get up to speed without risking other people's runs.

Ive got my brca membership sorted and joined the batley group on Facebook but it did remind me to ask, do I have to buy a transponder now or do you still handout the clip on ones too?
Old 25-09-2017

most folk buy their own, but the handout ones are still available. You just need a hole in your bodyshell or wing to mount them.

Just have a sniff around when you come down. Most folk run either genuine mylaps or MRT transponders. They're expensive for what they are, but they're a much neater solution, and you don't have to remember to charge it and fit it every round!
Old 26-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysmate View Post
most folk buy their own, but the handout ones are still available. You just need a hole in your bodyshell or wing to mount them.

Just have a sniff around when you come down. Most folk run either genuine mylaps or MRT transponders. They're expensive for what they are, but they're a much neater solution, and you don't have to remember to charge it and fit it every round!
Ok great thanks, I'll probably just use a handout then and see how I get on while I take a look at what everyone else is running. Thanks for your help!
Old 27-09-2017

You did well tonight Kev, I enjoyed the tussle we had in the final.

You showed some good speed to say you’ve been away for years, you’ll be really flying soon!

Chris
Old 28-09-2017

Thanks Chris, it means a lot, I was very nervous to start with but once I'd cartwheeled it round the first two laps of heat 1 I couldn't stop giggling, was great to be back! By the final I was starting to feel like I was in control of it again and had great fun racing you, it's a shame you got wiped out or we would've been battling all the way. Already looking forward to next time.

Still can't get my head around doing warmup laps though, we used to struggle to gear it to last 5 minutes when I was a kid!
Old 28-09-2017

Glad you enjoyed it Kev.

The new batteries nowadays are great, you could probably warm up for 10 minutes and still do a 5 minute heat at the end.

See you next time