Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 06-06-2009
Mad Member

Default Leccy ST, where do I start?

Right, I have nowt but trouble tuning engines, always a problem for me, maybe due to buying cheap engines as opposed to quality gear but I digress, fed up with engine cuts and buying plugs, I'm toying with converting my Hyper ST to electric after seeing some dude at Clanfield with a Leccy 8T at the Easter 2 dayer.

I cant seem to find much in the way of info, perhaps I'm not looking hard enough though. I've read that some of you are fans of "Neu" motors, I've never heard of them myself.

So:

1: What motor/speedo combo am I looking at to power a truggy?

2: Cells, 2s, 3s or 4s even, what MaH?

3: Gearing?

4: Adding to Qs 1 & 2, I'd like to run with nitros, and maybe finish a long final.

5: Who stocks these things? most shops I frequent don't seem to stock "Neu" motors

Thank you for reading my idiot questions. Answers on a postcard to the usual address
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 07-06-2009

This i how im going to do it
1 mamba monster max speedo neu motor
2 cells 4s lipo
3 gearing dont have a clue yet a bit of suck it and see
I do have some pinions to try
5 check for sale section on here you just missed a mamba combo also try
ebay a neu motor finishes tonite about 6pm
Old 07-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
So:

4: Adding to Qs 1 & 2, I'd like to run with nitros, and maybe finish a long final.

5: Who stocks these things? most shops I frequent don't seem to stock "Neu" motors

Thank you for reading my idiot questions. Answers on a postcard to the usual address
1: Something like a Castle Creations Mamba Monster Max with the 2200kV motor will suit you well, with a good amount of options for batteries and motors, as well as an excellent warrenty.

2: For 1/8 4S minimum is best really, this keeps the temperatures down (as higher voltage with the same power = lower current and therefore less heat). With the 2200kV motor, you'd be best to go with 4S. To use 5S you'd want approx 1800-2000kV and 6S 1400-1700kV.

3: http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

4: It all depends on the length of the final. For 10 minutes, a 4S 5000mAh will finish easily. For 15 minutes, something like a 5S 5000mAh would be good, and for 20 minutes a 6S 5500mAh should do the trick. (Note, the motor will need to be matched to the battery, and the gearing too. Gear for 40mph using the calculator above).

5: You probably won't find a Neu motor in a UK shop, you'll have to ship one from America. Though Hacker motors are as good and are available in the UK - the price tag is a bit steep though for any of the really high quality motors (Neu, Hacker, Lehner etc).
Old 08-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
Right, I have nowt but trouble tuning engines, always a problem for me, maybe due to buying cheap engines as opposed to quality gear but I digress, fed up with engine cuts and buying plugs, I'm toying with converting my Hyper ST to electric after seeing some dude at Clanfield with a Leccy 8T at the Easter 2 dayer.

I cant seem to find much in the way of info, perhaps I'm not looking hard enough though. I've read that some of you are fans of "Neu" motors, I've never heard of them myself.

So:

1. I now have a Tekin RX8 and T8 2250kv combo which is a sensored brushless system in my Losi 8T 1.0 and it is fantastic. As for the right motor that always is going to be dependant on the number of lipo cells your are going to run. I think I should have gone for a 1900kv motor for duration. There is also the Castle Creations Mamba Monter Max V3 or MMM which is a sensorless brushless controller. They seem to have a limited motor range though. Neu motors are great but expensive and I think that the new Tekin T8 motors are looking very competetive against them although the first batches of T8 motors can have the magnets drop off the rotor but then there has been reports of some of the newer Neu motors shorting out.

2. Cells 4s min and I would say 5000mah or more. I am looking into going to 5 cell and am looking at the CX/VX range from Hyperion which can be purchased from robotbirds in the uk. Currently I am going to be using my 2 x Demon Non BRCA 20C 5000mah 7.4v Lipo packs to qualify with and then I have a MaxAmps 14.8v 8000mah for the final I know you have some Demons as well so you could just use them.

3. No point in over gearing the car unless you want to impress, rule of thumb seems to be between 30-40mph. Trouble is with impressing you will sacrifie your run time. Best use some gearing calculators from the net. One that I use is from Tonys Screws and is available here:- Speed and gearing calculator

4. Take a look at the ImpaktRC FAQ's Motor KV / Comparison chart and Truggy recommended setups and the definitive threads on 1/8th electric conversions on the RCtech forum.

5. UK is rubbish for 1/8th conversion parts so usually I order them direct from USA. The only thing I will consider buying here is the Hyperion charger and batteries. You may find some people selling some 8th conversions on here in the for sale section.

Go for it mush you will have a load of fun without all the engine issues
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 08-06-2009

I would also suggest going to RC-Monster.com and their forums - they really are THE best 1/8 brushless forums around. Full of many knowledgeable people, many conversions, and most importantly, lots of experience. http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/

Oh, and, AmiSMB. Why Maxamps?!? They are overpriced, and overrated! You only have to read for 5 minutes on the RC-Monster forums to find some pretty good evidence of this!
Old 08-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I would also suggest going to RC-Monster.com and their forums - they really are THE best 1/8 brushless forums around. Full of many knowledgeable people, many conversions, and most importantly, lots of experience.

Oh, and, AmiSMB. Why Maxamps?!? They are overpriced, and overrated! You only have to read for 5 minutes on the RC-Monster forums to find some pretty good evidence of this!
Ahh yes I forgot Rc-Monster forum as well.

Marvin, I have the MaxAmps pack as I bought some 8th conversion parts off someone on this forum. Unfortunately it was a Novak HV Pro conversion which has now been dumped in the bin and it happend to come with the MaxAmps 8000mah pack. I have to say that I agree that this pack is overrated and over priced! I see the pack slightly puffing after I finish using it even though it reckons 160A continuous. It goes back to its normal size after it has cooled down. I am getting some Hyperion CX/VX Lipos and another charger as soon as I have some extra cash.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 08-06-2009

Ahhh, that explains it. The Hyperions certainly look very good. One of their ranges (the ones I have - I can't remember the exact name though) can be charged at up to 5C, which is just lovely for racing. My charger can charge at up to 10A, and that's only enough for ~3C (though slightly less, due to the power rating of 180W).
Old 11-06-2009
Mad Member

Thanks guys, I have a couple more sites on my favourites list now. Will keep you all updated on proceedings.

I may go with the Tekin combo yet a la Grant, good write ups and a name that's familiar.

The Hyperion cells look good, but are there actually any decent cells available that are over 5000mah, apart from maxamps?
SWorkz S12-2

Old 12-06-2009

Not really, you would have to wire two smaller packs in parallel. This isn't hard though.

Also, gearing for the same speed each time:

A 4S 5000mAh pack (74Wh) is the same as:

a 5S 4000mAh pack (74Wh) which is the same as:

a 6S 3333mAh pack (74Wh) as far as run time should go.

So, up the voltage, but still keep 5000mAh, and you'll have the same runtime as a massive capacity, lower V pack. Also you should see efficiency gains over the lower voltage, due to the decreased current
Old 25-06-2009
Mad Member

Some idea please anyone, I'm perusing the wares on RC Monster, but I have no idea what motor mount would fit the Hyper ST, there's the Ofna ST mount, and a CRT mount, but nada for the Hyper.

Does anyone have any tips?

ta muchly
SWorkz S12-2

Old 25-06-2009

The Ofna Hyper mount - also fits the ST (remember OFNA is Hobao to everyone else) - LINK
Old 25-06-2009
Mad Member

Go with the mount that Marvin has linked to and you should be fine. You will then need to get a battery tray which if you want I have two Novak battery trays you can have. Then just concentrate on getting the right cells and the correct motor and speedo combo remembering that to get a good speed, runtime and efficiency you must go to a higher cell count. I have just ordered my 1550kv motor and am going to 6s by using initially 3 demon 5000 and 3 vampire racing 5200mah packs until I can get my Hyperion 6s packs. This should give me a much better runtime and cooler running than the 4s 8000mah MaxAmps pack and in theory be running at 34410rpm instead of 33300rpm. Remember it is easier to get high C output cells at 6000mah and below at the moment. The 8000 through to 12000 capacity range are very expensive and do not have good enough C ratings for a decent lifespan. Then next on my list of must haves is a new charger that can charge at least two 6s lipo at the same time at 10A or higher. The Hyperion EOS0615i DUO III is my current choice but this comes at a price!
Old 26-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiSMB View Post
Then next on my list of must haves is a new charger that can charge at least two 6s lipo at the same time at 10A or higher. The Hyperion EOS0615i DUO III is my current choice but this comes at a price!
Try the Logic-RC Paladin 120 Pro. It is not quite as powerful (180W) as the Hyperion, but is only RRP£124.99. LINK

I could get you one for £100 new + posted if you wanted.
Old 27-06-2009
Mad Member

Thanks again guys, Ofna mount it is then.

Seems like I'm taking forever to do this I know but I'm just gathering the info before I start, and thanks Grant for the offer, much apprec'd.
SWorkz S12-2

Old 27-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Try the Logic-RC Paladin 120 Pro. It is not quite as powerful (180W) as the Hyperion, but is only RRP£124.99. LINK

I could get you one for £100 new + posted if you wanted.
Thanks for the info Marvin. That looks like a re badged Hyperion EOS1210 charger. I did find some of these on Ebay on special for under £50 as they do not have a balancer built in so you would need an LBA10 to do the balancing. I have gone for the EOS0615i DUO III as my last charger purchase was a long time ago which was a Schulze Chameleon isl6-330 which is still going strong but I use the LBA10 re badged Ripmax EQ-6+ balancer which works well but can only charge one pack at a time and does not show the individual cell data about the pack.