8: Neutral Range = 9%
9: Boost Timing = 12
10: Turbo Slope = 12
11: Overheat Protection = Disable
12: Turbo Timing = 12
14: Turbo Delay = 0.1
Old 18-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The software level suggest that they have based this on the HobbyWing V3 119MOD firmware if that is indeed the case I use more PUNCH (on my HobbyWing ESCs with that firmware on) than Tebo ... seems I should be turn that bad boy down!
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
The software level suggest that they have based this on the HobbyWing V3 119MOD firmware if that is indeed the case I use more PUNCH (on my HobbyWing ESCs with that firmware on) than Tebo ... seems I should be turn that bad boy down!
I was thinking that, the list is identical to the Hobbywing/Speed Passion lift of settings.

Is the Orion a rebranded Hobbywing?
Old 18-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
Yes that is the case Orion looks alot better tho
Old 18-08-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
I was thinking that, the list is identical to the Hobbywing/Speed Passion lift of settings.

A lot of people think that this is the case but it is not.
Hobbywing are very good and very popular on the Asian continent but just not on the same level as Orion. Power ratings etc etc are far higher on Orion and that keeps the temps down and motors last a lot longer and it just goes on and on. If you stuty the ratings etc you will soon realise that Orion is in another league.
Saying that Hobbywing are very good.
It just depends if you want the best
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Hobbywing stuff is great for club/practicing/regionals...or if your on a budget. However, the Orion stuff looks very nice, and as with all these things you do get what you pay for, even if you first cant see it!

i use speed passion stuff, and in terms of reliablility, it is brilliant. However, if I was racing more seriously, then I would look at the orion stuff, it is priced very competitively.
Old 18-08-2011

Hobbywing stuff is perfectly adequate for Nationals too! Brian Eldridge came 2nd in the mod Class at the Halifax BRCA TC National using a HW ESC!

There's loads of them knocking around at National level in various touring cars. Even mine!

Excellent ESC
Old 18-08-2011
oOple Advertiser

Default Some info if you haven't seen it

Small and Light Weight | Double Sensor Port | External Capacitor Board | Specs | Programming | Racing Success | Setup Sheets | Manual

The Vortex R10 Pro is Team Orion's high-end brushless speed control for 1/10 and 1/12 scale vehicles. Top grade low resistance components have been paired with a unique CAD designed aluminum case to achieve best top speed, accelleration and efficiency. But the heart of the R10 Pro is its software. It is the most advanced brushless speed control software we ever made, offering best control with today's ultra powerful brushless motors and high-current LiPo batteries.

With 44 grams of weight and dimensions of 41.5x30.5x22.2mm the Vortex R10 Pro finds its space in every vehicle. Cables can be soldered, spare cables are available separately. We also offer spare cases and switches. The Vortex R10 Pro is shipped with cable clips, double side tape, an adaptor to connect with the DSB-R Program Box, a cooling fan, heat shrink tubes and a detailed instruction manual.

With todays high-end brushless motors and batteries, efficiency and cooling are the key.It is well known that aluminum dissipates heat much better than plastic. This is why our engineers chose this material for the case of the next level speed control. The bottom part is kept in plastic to prevent glitches. On top of the CNC machined aluminum case a fan can be mounted for extra cooling.

The Vortex R10 Pro speed control not only features an ultra precise CAD aluminum case for best cooling, but also a double sensor port. This allows you to install your ESC in your vehicle in the best way and gives you the option to program the speedo through the second port if needed.

Using the top side sensor portUsing the back side sensor portClick to see an installation sample

The Vortex R10 Pro is our first speed control with an external capacitor board. The new capacitor board allows you to securely attach the capacitors to your chassis: No mess with cables, no torn capacitors anymore.

Vortex R10 Race (2-3S)Vortex R10 Pro (1-2S)Vortex R10 Pro (2-3S)ORI65109ORI65101ORI65102Sensor / SensorlessSensor / SensorlessSensor / Sensorless90A /420A120A / 760A160A / 760A0.00055 ohm 0.0003 ohm0.0003 ohm forward/brake – forward/brake reverseforward/brake – forward/brake reverseforward/brake – forward/brake reverseforward/reverse (for rock crawler)forward/reverse (for rock crawler)forward/reverse (for rock crawler)1/12 on-road, 1/10 on-road and
off-road, Rock Crawler1/12 on-road, 1/10 on-road and
off-road, Rock Crawler1/12 on-road, 1/10 on-road and
off-road, Rock Crawler2S up to 5.5T1S up to 3.5T2S up to 2.5T3S up to 10.5T2S up to 4.5T3S up to 5.5TUp to 6000KVUp to 12000KV Up to 16000KV5-9 cells NiMH - NiCd4-6 cells NiMH - NiCd5-9 cells NiMH - NiCd2-3 cells LiPo - LiFe1-2 cells LiPo - LiFe2-3 cells LiPo - LiFe5.75V/3A, Linear mode6V/2A, DC/DC Booster5.75V/3A, Linear mode41.5x30.5x20.2 mm w/o fan41.5x30.5x16.5mm w/o fan41.5x30.5x20.2 mm w/o fan43g40g44g

The Vortex R10 Pro speed control comes with a preset software which has been optimised to suit most driving styles, track conditions and vehicles. However it is possible to fine tune various parameters in the software to adapt the speed control to your needs. Most of the parameters can be set up using the button on the on/off switch.

Additional parameters can be changed with the optional DSB-R Digital Program Box ( ORI65150). It is connected to the ESC with a special adapter (included with the ESC) and a sensor cable. As the R10 Pro has two sensor ports, you can use the second port for programming, or you simply disconnect the motor and connect it to the program box.

The Vortex R10 Pro has gone through intensive testing by our international R&D team. We chose the best settings and pre-installed them on the ESC. Programming is only needed for those who are searching the last tenths of a second on the track.
With the on/off switch most of the
parameters can be adjusted.

Please click here to see the
adjustable parametersWith the DSB-R Digital Setting Box all the settings can be made on a LCD display. With the box you can change all parameters and update the firmware of the ESC. A free PC software is available for download.

The DSB-R setting box also allows firmware updates of the speed control and the connection with a PC.
The computer software can be downloaded on the Team Orion website for free.

Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeTony View Post
A lot of people think that this is the case but it is not.
Hobbywing are very good and very popular on the Asian continent but just not on the same level as Orion. Power ratings etc etc are far higher on Orion and that keeps the temps down and motors last a lot longer and it just goes on and on. If you stuty the ratings etc you will soon realise that Orion is in another league.
Saying that Hobbywing are very good.
It just depends if you want the best
So if I want the best buy Orion?

Are you 100% that it's not a hobbywing?
Old 18-08-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
So if I want the best buy Orion?
Well they are winning everything at the mo - World Champions 2wd and 4wd - real smooth to drive etc etc

If you think the above looks and is a Hobbywing then buy a Hobbywing.
To me Orion is an Orion - LOL
Honestly I cannot make a comment on Hobbywing but Orion has certainly stepped up to the mark to make one of the best speed controllers on the market - the choice is yours
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Default Hmmm

Forget hobbywing...

This looks similar to the ko propo vfs bmc-1 speedo!

I just bought one for my kyosho fs

The specs are similar to some extent. But looks like the heat sink is different - a bit like the Novak kinetic.

Anyway...as long as it does the job, right?

Old 18-08-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Certain best looking in my view
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeTony View Post
Well they are winning everything at the mo - World Champions 2wd and 4wd - real smooth to drive etc etc

If you think the above looks and is a Hobbywing then buy a Hobbywing.
To me Orion is an Orion - LOL
Honestly I cannot make a comment on Hobbywing but Orion has certainly stepped up to the mark to make one of the best speed controllers on the market - the choice is yours
I don't think it looks like a Hobbywing, it what's inside that counts, and it possibly could be another hobbywing rebadge. In fact I'm certain of it.

Yes it looks awesome, I like the detail the capacitors, I'm sure it's as good as all the top end esc's.
Old 18-08-2011

Who owns HW, SP, HPI & Orion?

Certainly looks like a common software platform.

Maybe the new VAG of the RC world
Old 18-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Tony your funny fella Got too give you that. Your sponsors get there monies worth from you Orion has always made quality gear though, will give you that
Old 18-08-2011

So if Hobbywing is the same as SP and Orion. Which HW esc is rebranded as the Orion R10? Was going to put the R10 in my DEX210 but am having second thoughts now.
Old 18-08-2011

Hobbywing could well be the manufacturer. They knock out their own branded range of gear which is simply a quick lets get the product to market to range and sell them to the masses!

Orion may simply have developed the R range of speedos and got Hobbywing to manufacture them, who better to make your speedo than someone who makes tons of them anyway! As long as its to your specification (software and physical parts) then it should all be good.

So, long story short, even if the manufacturer is Hobbywing, it really doesn't matter. This is a product designed and manufactured to Orions specification and with such a good name, they wouldn't dare tarnish it by releasing a new range of products that are no good.

Edit: (PS, I've got one myself. Recommended by people who have actually used them)
Re-edit!: I don't have any info on who actually makes them, just simply highlighting the fact that it doesn't actually matter
Old 18-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Spares View Post
Hobbywing could well be the manufacturer. They knock out their own branded range of gear which is simply a quick lets get the product to market to range and sell them to the masses!

Orion may simply have developed the R range of speedos and got Hobbywing to manufacture them, who better to make your speedo than someone who makes tons of them anyway! As long as its to your specification (software and physical parts) then it should all be good.

So, long story short, even if the manufacturer is Hobbywing, it really doesn't matter. This is a product designed and manufactured to Orions specification and with such a good name, they wouldn't dare tarnish it by releasing a new range of products that are no good.

Edit: (PS, I've got one myself. Recommended by people who have actually used them)
Which I think in my industry is outsourcing - you get things done to your spec by someone else, no labour, factory base costs.
Old 18-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
Tony your funny fella Got too give you that. Your sponsors get there monies worth from you Orion has always made quality gear though, will give you that

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 18-08-2011
Banned

Extremely nice looking speedo there