Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 06-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

god some danjerois comments in here
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcars782 View Post
Get a diagnostic test.

The lambda sensors could have gone, so could be worth checking those out and have a look to check see if they had already been replaced as there could be something else wrong down the line, they control the fuel mixture.

Carl
Lamba sensors on a Ford diesel..... really tell me more as i have never seen em in 20 plus years......

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomj316 View Post
Unplug the Mass air flow meter and see if it makes it any better, if it does, then you'll need to replace it. Im assuming if its a Pierburg and done more than 50k, then its knackered. If its a Bosch, then id be surprised if its gone below 100k.

The Mass air flow is a little box that sits on on the air intake between the filter and the manifold, also black in colour with a 6 or 7 pin connector going to it. Simply unplug (perfectly safe) and test the car out.

Failing that, you might have a faulty injector(s), if the spring has weakened then the effective duty cycle has been increased, thus allowing more fuel into the engine.

P.S, what mileage has she done?
Unpluging a maff and curing tue fault does not make the maff faulty. As all you doing is asking the pcm to use default settings. Which can mask your fault.

[QUOTE=dpackster1980;410538]Black smoke is over fueling, you normally get this type of thing when donkeys fit the plug in boxes that trick the ECU instead of a professional remap.

EGR valve is normally puts on the engine warning light it recirculates exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber to cool combustion and increase effeciency (MPG). If there is a problem and it goes ignored then uncooled gasses pass through the turbo causing it to overheat and wreck the turbo bearings.

If the light hasn't come on then I would assume it's a mechanical issue and not sensor related.

I watched a program not so long ago about second hand cars and they had a Ford Mondeo ST on it, it was a 2.0 TDCi and when they were going on about faults they mentioned that in some cases the injectors went at 60k. The other fault was all the rear suspension bushes fail at 40k.

I think you are going to have to pay a garage the stupid £30 for running a diagnostic check.

Check out this link but it doesn't sound like a cheap fix.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...3135828AAvL0wh[/QUOTegr is there to get rid of nox not improve mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
Doubt the diog will show anything. EGR is worth a try and check the hose for the turbo.

I've got the 1.8 version of yours and its never failed an MOT on emissions so wouldn't worry about it. If the engine light comes on then look at it
Air leak sounds the correct answer to me over fuel which is black smoke is also lack of air into the engine.
Old 06-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just got back from the garage now the intercooler has gone. Waiting for the phone call now to let me know the cost of fix.
Old 06-09-2010
Mad Member

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am having a similar issue with what looks like blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when the engine's cold. Once it's warmed up it's fine, it's only when you start it up in the morning.

I know fcuk all about engines etc, so i was hoping someone might have any ideas? It's a ford fiesta tdci

cheers,

Mark
Old 06-09-2010
Mad Member

Gone? In what way?
Old 06-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopite View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am having a similar issue with what looks like blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when the engine's cold. Once it's warmed up it's fine, it's only when you start it up in the morning.

I know fcuk all about engines etc, so i was hoping someone might have any ideas? It's a ford fiesta tdci

cheers,

Mark
Could be unburnt fuel if cold due to glow plugs not working or low compression. Is it a pale cleary blue smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Gone? In what way?
will be split they are. Not uncommon to fail under The pressure. Lose air but pcm dumps the fuel in and you have black smoke.
Old 06-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Gone? In what way?
I think he said it was leaking. Still waiting for price. Eurocarparts do them for £171 but none in stock atm.
Old 06-09-2010

How many miles has it done Stan?
Old 06-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

£350 parts and labour with genuine ford intercooler ouch.
Old 06-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
How many miles has it done Stan?

it's done this for a while now, and there's no performance issues that i can tell. Maybe it's fine, but i've heard a few people say the same thing as Mark Christopher has mentioned above. Do you think it's causing any damage to the engine if left as is?

ps - Bodgit - apologies for butting into your thread
Old 06-09-2010

Someone may have already said this but i work for a rental company and we have had a lot of problems with the Ford diesels and black smoke and 9 times out of 10 it has been the EGR valve, Which is something to do with the recirclation on the exhaust gasses

Hope this helps
Old 06-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopite View Post

it's done this for a while now, and there's no performance issues that i can tell. Maybe it's fine, but i've heard a few people say the same thing as Mark Christopher has mentioned above. Do you think it's causing any damage to the engine if left as is?

ps - Bodgit - apologies for butting into your thread
No problems kill two birds with one stone
I found this may be of help
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0114937AA4l3KH
Old 06-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
No problems kill two birds with one stone
I found this may be of help
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0114937AA4l3KH
that makes a lot of sense actually, nice one.
Old 06-09-2010

Wouldn't worry about it. Check your oil though just to make sure.

If it becomes bad wizz it to Ewloe service station and they can sort it while you work. I'd leave it though.
Old 06-09-2010

And nine times out of ten when we replace em its cuz the driver has pussy footed about and not driven it hard enough
Old 07-09-2010

on the fiesta 1.4tdci have a problem with leaking injector seals causing low compression and poor combustion when running you can hear a hissing noise and can smell combustion gas under bonnet (exhaust smell) worth checking???
Old 07-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by langers View Post
on the fiesta 1.4tdci have a problem with leaking injector seals causing low compression and poor combustion when running you can hear a hissing noise and can smell combustion gas under bonnet (exhaust smell) worth checking???
Very common fault on the little Peugeot engine'd fiesta. It's a cheap fix in regards to parts as you just need 4 copper washers basically (proper ones obviously), but it's an expensive job due to it being quite labour intensive. But I would have it done sooner rather than later before it causes more damage.
Old 07-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just got it back and something really wierd happened. Firstly the intercooler fault must have been developing very slowly so I did not notice the power dropping but now its a hell of a lot quicker. The wierd thing is a while back I posted this http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39662
I could not fill the fuel tank at all within 2 gallons of the top.
When I picked it up as I drove off I heard a strange bubbling sound so I went back to the garage. THey could hear it but not explain it. I drove away again 5 miles later noise had stopped. I pulled in to refuel and the dam thing came right to the top for the first time in 2 years, confirmed by trip computor reading 505 miles to empty.
The intercooler and fuel system are not directly related so what happened to my fuel tank. Anyone any ideas.
Old 09-09-2010

sounds like a possible fault with the flap in the filler neck near the tank when these fail or stick can cause a number of filling problems and allow fuel to travel back up when you acclerate
but the only way to test is to remove if it fills ok id see how it goes