Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Mid EAST

Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Default Points system for regionals??

I guess this is mainly a question pointed to Charlie and Jim but feel free to add your thoughts people.

Last year the points were done on where you finished in your final only and didnt take into account qualifying. For example, you could qualify 1st in the A but then if you broke your car in the final or some other misfortune happened to you and you finish last then you would only get points for 10th place. Personally I believe that where you qualify is worth much more than your final position and this points system gives an unjust score of a persons achievments of the day. Especially when the series only consists of 4 rounds and its your best 3 rounds to count. That means that you could qualify 1st in all rounds but just 2 bad finals and your done for!!!

I suggest a better system would be 200 points for qualify and 100 for final. ie 1st qualifier gets 200, 2nd 199 etc and the same for finals but from 100 down. This way your finals position still counts but is not so do or die if you have bad luck in the final.

What are peoples thoughts?
Old 28-02-2008
Super Moderator

It's not broken, no need to fix it.....

The software would need changing to do it.

G
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

So are all regions doing it this way then?
Old 28-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

we used this system in the mid south a couple of years ago with 100 pts for quali and 100 for finals. It worked well from a drivers point of view but was hard work from the administrators point of view, especially when they had a problem with the software/printer at one meeting.
But at the end of the day, Formula 1 guys don;t get points for getting on pole, it's all down to the race, that's why they call it "racing"!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 28-02-2008

I have to agree with Dan (DBizzle) on this one. It would be much fairer to have 200 downwards for qualifying and 100 downwards for the finals. Or 100 and 100 would be ok with maybe a bonus point for TQ and 1st A.

Think with our region having best 3 from 4, just to have points for the final wouldn't be fair. If you have a breakage or if somebody takes you out it could not just be that round out the window but your entire season.
Old 28-02-2008

Jim76, is it 3 from 4 or 3 from 5 in the Mid South?
Old 28-02-2008
Super Moderator

You guys do realise that what we do every weekend is called 'racing' and not 'qualifying'?

The regionals tend to run the same format as the nationals as it's supposed to be a stepping stone to them (looks like it will be even more now the numbers are up), so people know what to expect at the big meetings.

Part of the skill to finals is keeping out of trouble. I know a national A finalist who says he drives 'even easier' in finals.

Equally, if you have a bad qually and line up A 10, you then can't win the meeting can you with your system?

Swings and roundabouts

G
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
It worked well from a drivers point of view but was hard work from the administrators point of view, especially when they had a problem with the software/printer at one meeting.
But at the end of the day, Formula 1 guys don;t get points for getting on pole, it's all down to the race, that's why they call it "racing"!

I understand it makes it slightly more complicated but surely its not that difficult. And as far as F1 goes they have like 20 races to a championship instead of just 4 so its a bit different I think.
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
You guys do realise that what we do every weekend is called 'racing' and not 'qualifying'?

The regionals tend to run the same format as the nationals as it's supposed to be a stepping stone to them (looks like it will be even more now the numbers are up), so people know what to expect at the big meetings.

Part of the skill to finals is keeping out of trouble. I know a national A finalist who says he drives 'even easier' in finals.

Equally, if you have a bad qually and line up A 10, you then can't win the meeting can you with your system?

Swings and roundabouts

G

I suppose so. Didnt know the nationals worked on that scoring system too.

If you did qually 10th and fluked the final then I dont think its derserved win anyways! Much better to equal the points out to give a more overall result i think.
Old 28-02-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle5 View Post
I understand it makes it slightly more complicated but surely its not that difficult. And as far as F1 goes they have like 20 races to a championship instead of just 4 so its a bit different I think.
I'm not so sure you realise the amount of work that already goes on behind the sceens.......

F1 - All rounds count, a bad day is a bad day and reflects on the championship. Hence why they will 'settle' for 2nd or 3rd in a race. Winning a championship is also a skill.

G
Old 28-02-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you did qually 10th and fluked the final then I dont think its derserved win anyways! Much better to equal the points out to give a more overall result i think.
If you qualify A 10 and win the final, you have covered more ground in the same amount of time, so are therefore the fastest. Fastest wins! Sorted

G
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure you realise the amount of work that already goes on behind the sceens.......

F1 - All rounds count, a bad day is a bad day and reflects on the championship. Hence why they will 'settle' for 2nd or 3rd in a race. Winning a championship is also a skill.

G
Your probably right that I dont realise all the work that goes on behind the scenes but surely just adding two numbers together rather than 1 is not that much more work?

And as for F1 I know all rounds count but there is loads of them. So bad days are averaged out alot more ands dont matter as much.

10th to 1st in a final to me just means that a lot of the front runners have been wiped out!!!
Old 28-02-2008
Administrator

Do away with finals - one huge final with cars all the way to the last man arranged down the length of the main straight. You earn your place on the grid like usual but now you have so much more to race for if you qualified last - you can still win the day! just like real racing!
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Do away with finals - one huge final with cars all the way to the last man arranged down the length of the main straight. You earn your place on the grid like usual but now you have so much more to race for if you qualified last - you can still win the day! just like real racing!

exactly my point! Might aswell if qualifying dont count for anything!
Old 28-02-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Your probably right that I dont realise all the work that goes on behind the scenes but surely just adding two numbers together rather than 1 is not that much more work?
Not really. The software works out all the championship tables. It couldn't work out your way of doing it. Someone would have to sit down and work it out. I wouldn't like that job, it's much easier (and less chance of human error) to click a button.

G
Old 28-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

Quote:
And as far as F1 goes they have like 20 races to a championship instead of just 4 so its a bit different I think.
you do realise you cant get F1 at regionals ??? and there are only 6 national races to get and keep your F1 .
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Not really. The software works out all the championship tables. It couldn't work out your way of doing it. Someone would have to sit down and work it out. I wouldn't like that job, it's much easier (and less chance of human error) to click a button.

G

True true!
Old 28-02-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Well it would be easier and easier the more people move over to 2.4GHz.

Lets do it!

G
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

mid-west always run quali and finals points. 100 for each, works really well

http://www.telfordmcc.co.uk/brca-mid...20-%202007.pdf

not exactly rocket science to work out!!

B4FT-NOSRAM EVO-KO2123-SPASHETT 10x2

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o...-rugby-new.gif
Old 28-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraggy View Post
you do realise you cant get F1 at regionals ??? and there are only 6 national races to get and keep your F1 .

Talking about Formula 1 as a comparison Wraggy!