Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 01-03-2010

Default Driving TC to improve OR skills?

Have been thinking a little.

Have an idea that I want to ask you more experienced guys. Looking on race results I can tell that the Top TC driver also do really well when it comes to driving off road. Marc, Victor are two examples.
I tried some touring this winter and I must say that I am a fairly good driver and almost every time makes the A finals but never hits the top 5 in the end. The first race ever I attended with my TC I came in second place! Very happy with that. But my heart lays with the OR and I want to improve my driving more. I am too careful and hardly ever makes mistakes but then I am not fast enough instead. In Tc I felt I could push harder and then came the confidence in myself and in the car. Therefore the great result.
I want to be able to transfer that confidence over to the turf.
Do you think driving 2D can improve my 3D?
I know, where is the real question in this but I only want to hear your opinions if you can gain something from one class to another.
Old 02-03-2010
Mad Member

All practice is good practice. It's good to experience different classes too, it makes you more adaptable to different conditions.

I wouldn't say that TC will improve off-road driving skills particularly, the styles are very different - jumps is one obvious difference, but also the use of power and the lines are different too.

Marc Rheinard et al win races because they are very good drivers, not because they are touring car drivers!
Old 02-03-2010

Speaking as someone who came from TC to OR, I would say OR has a lot more finesse than TC. Granted I was never National Champion at TC (made 3rd overall in the SLCC prostock class), but I thought i'd just pitch up at PDA and be on a par. How wrong I was.

Jumping control, throttle control and shock set up are all things i'm picking up slowly from doing OR.

Yes fully agree top drivers will be top drivers in (pretty much) whatever class they run.

My advice stick to OR, enjoy the jumps, and the crack of off road. TC (for me) is a power game with very little of the atmosphere I have experienced in 4 months of off roading.

Enjoy the dirt!
Old 02-03-2010

+1 on that Mark

Clubs
Old 02-03-2010
Mad Member

I think that with on road you have to be gentle on the throttle but in off road there is more to contend with and the track does tend to change through the race and you have to be able to react to this very quickly. The great drivers in off road always amaze me in the fact they seem to make a bumpy track look as though it were smooth. I think that running a small sized class i.e. 1/10th helps your reactions for driving a 1/8th sized vehicle. I found this to be very similar with RC Helicopters as it is hard going from a 30 nitro to an indoor flyer like the Ikarus Piccolo but the other way round is so much easier.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 02-03-2010
Mad Member

If you want to go faster get yourself a 1/12th car. It's all about finesse and carrying corner speed. That or come and join us racing 1/18th scale buggies, they are super quick and controlled and we do massive jumps with them! Best of all both 1/12th and 1/18th OR is indoors (mostly) so not weather dependent.
Old 02-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Personally i would stick to driving just the classes you intend to race. I have a touring car ( sorry guys) which gets used on club nights for a bit of fun but it also keeps your thumbs alive.
I did start doing 18th but found it awkward adjusting my driving style back to 10th quickly. Drive a 2wd car on slippery/greasy offroad tracks. That WILL improve or driving. If you can go fast with a 2wd in winter, 4wd should be gooooood
Old 02-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

As Andy said but all depends on the track. Mine has a shiney concrete floor so i use a tc with carpet dragons for fun and helps you get smooth on the throttle.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 02-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the way I see it, there is no substitute for practising with the same car/class that you want to be good at.

second best to that is do to lots of RC, but lots of different types, doing the same type of RC (that is not your normal RC) ALL the time will mean switching back to your normal RC class difficult - you will have learned the specifics of that other form of RC

doing lots of different types of RC keeps your thumbs quick but doesn't condition you into the traits of a certain type or RC, be it TC, 10th, 18th or whatever.

make sense?
Old 02-03-2010
Mad Member

Actually if you want to get technical there are a lot of research that show training your brain and reflexes in other but similar disciplines yields better results as it stimulates the brain.

I recently read an article about a longbow archer who tried to improve his accuracy, he found that other forms of trajectory training helped his brain adapt and stimulated measurable neural growth/activity. He threw all sorts of things, darts, knives, rocks etc. and even used his wrong hand. Although he initially regressed slightly he soon surpassed his best ever results.

It's a bit like improving the software for the program that executes that function in your brain. It's too easy to plateau on one sport/activity, you need to keep the brain challenged and it adapts.

Now, I have no idea if any of this nonsense applies to RC or not but I have totally convinced myself that it does and it's entirely the excuse I used with the wife for buying yet another car so I won't be told otherwise
Old 02-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
Actually if you want to get technical there are a lot of research that show training your brain and reflexes in other but similar disciplines yields better results as it stimulates the brain.

I recently read an article about a longbow archer who tried to improve his accuracy, he found that other forms of trajectory training helped his brain adapt and stimulated measurable neural growth/activity. He threw all sorts of things, darts, knives, rocks etc. and even used his wrong hand. Although he initially regressed slightly he soon surpassed his best ever results.

It's a bit like improving the software for the program that executes that function in your brain. It's too easy to plateau on one sport/activity, you need to keep the brain challenged and it adapts.

Now, I have no idea if any of this nonsense applies to RC or not but I have totally convinced myself that it does and it's entirely the excuse I used with the wife for buying yet another car so I won't be told otherwise

I completely agree with that Carl, but if that archer ONLY threw knives with his other hand for doing this he would only sharpen himself for doing that eventually.

trying lots of different sports that are similar to the one you do helps for sure.

just like I believe playing xbox or playstation sharpens you up for RC, its all thumb/hand-eye co-ordination with no motion feedback
Old 03-03-2010

Send a message via MSN to Ben Turner

Drive laps watching your car in a mirror, not mentioning any names
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Turner View Post
Drive laps watching your car in a mirror, not mentioning any names
ooh, go on, mention them!
Old 25-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

this was Massami's favourite trick if the old folk tales are true
Old 25-03-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Well one of the masami's tricks was also driving car with feet