Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 02-01-2016

Default T4 16 - What Electrics?

Hi all
Just purchased a Xray T4 16 and need help choosing electrics. I have decided to run with 13.5t but need help choosing a good ECS+Motor+Battery for the money. My favourite thusfar is the ORCA and ORION products but want to be mindful of the costs.

This will be my first onroad car (coming from 8th scale buggy) but every since spending many hours on VRC Pro banging in consistent laps and getting a nice feel for the driving I decided to give onroad driving a go and see what happens.
I'll probably be running at WLRC or Aldershot RC both outdoor asphalt.

Thanks for any advice.
B
Old 03-01-2016

Thought i would say hi, I don't have much to offer in help, i have just started with touring cars and have found that the clubs that run close to me do most of there communicating through Facebook, I took most of my electrics out of one of my buggies as they are stronger and faster than you will need to start with, if you have a nice new car its nice to put new electrics in but I am i big fan of second hand,

Mark
Old 03-01-2016
No trade access

Biased point of view but I'm running Orca electronics for a while and The current offering is very good and very reliable. Considering I'm running off-road and Orca was defined since the beginning around 1/10th TC I would be very confident to recommend them for off-road.

So far very smooth, easy tuneable and heat buildup is very low plus wire, capacitors, fans are very well priced.
Old 03-01-2016

I run Orca VXX, Orca VX3 and Hobbywing Xerun V2.1 in off road and on road chassis.
I wanted an upgrade from the V2.1 so that I could swap from blinks to boosted without the laptop, the V3.1 at the time was £150 and the VXX was £100, with a used programmer it cost me £115 so a fair bit cheaper and all the features i needed. Since picked up another VXX and VX3 and really happy with the ORca stuff but my trusty old V2.1 still runs sweet in my sons TC.
The Sky RC/G force electrics gets a good following, I use the G force motors and they seem to be good.
Batteries most go for the Turnigy nano's for cost but are not BRCA approved in most cases, Balls out from MB seem reasonable as do intellect and Demon power products own brand
Old 03-01-2016

All thanks for you reply and advice.

If I had a dream shopping list, following your suggestions and other reviews, I would go with the following costing just under £400:

ORCA VX3 2s ESC
ORCA ESC Program Card
ORCA INFINITE HV LiPo 7500mAh 7.4V 100C Stick
RCA RX3 13.5T Brushless Motor
ORCA Adjustable Fan Mount Black
ORCA Aluminium Fan 30x30x7mm
ORCA Aluminum ESC fan 25 x 10mm

Given my budget to be about half that I agree I need to go second hand for now - at least until I have had a few races under my belt. Perhaps I buy the battery new but everything else second hand.

I would assume a 2s ESC with a 7500mAh 100C stick to be the norm for 13.5t TC racing?

One other question I do have is what you guys do with power source at tracks. WLRC states they dont provide AC power and the car battery is the only other alternative. Any ideas?

Thanks
B
Old 03-01-2016

Hi you would be looking at using a leisure 12v battery or a generator.
Old 03-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic8 View Post
Hi you would be looking at using a leisure 12v battery or a generator.
Could any DC compatible Lipo charger be used?

Also how many charges can you make on a 12V Leisure Battery?

Thanks
B
Old 03-01-2016

Talking

Yes DC means 12-18v in most cases so car battery territory, leisure batteries are just like our lipo's you have to have the right size and look after it. Piece of string for how many charges. (Charge at home then top up, I have fully charged 5 x 5300 packs from a 85AH battery before noticing the input was down to 11v.)
I have now 2 old 5300 turnigy nano techs that will run 2 boosted carpet heats just!! but would only manage 1 heat on big asphalt tracks, I would not only look at 1 lipo so you can have 1 topping up as the other cools.
Used electrics is fine, most sellers on here are seasoned racers so upgrading and not selling off damaged gear but note I did say most
Old 03-01-2016
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNT View Post
All thanks for you reply and advice.

If I had a dream shopping list, following your suggestions and other reviews, I would go with the following costing just under £400:

ORCA VX3 2s ESC
ORCA ESC Program Card
ORCA INFINITE HV LiPo 7500mAh 7.4V 100C Stick
RCA RX3 13.5T Brushless Motor
ORCA Adjustable Fan Mount Black
ORCA Aluminium Fan 30x30x7mm
ORCA Aluminum ESC fan 25 x 10mm

Given my budget to be about half that I agree I need to go second hand for now - at least until I have had a few races under my belt. Perhaps I buy the battery new but everything else second hand.

I would assume a 2s ESC with a 7500mAh 100C stick to be the norm for 13.5t TC racing?

One other question I do have is what you guys do with power source at tracks. WLRC states they dont provide AC power and the car battery is the only other alternative. Any ideas?

Thanks
B
I've just managed to bag a new orca vx3 and a lightly used 13.5 motor for $200 shipped to me here, you've just got to keep a lookout and constantly trawl the forums fs sections.
we've got a good fs section here I've just got a Orion R10.1 boxed for £100 and the Orca from Rctech you've just got to be cheeky
Old 04-01-2016

The best lipos available are Intellect (and they are also some of the cheapest, which is great news!). The v9 6000mah is a good compromise between weight and performance. The new SHVs have slightly worse performance, but are more robust (less likely to swell). ORCA are just rebadged Intellects with 50% added to the price. Orion have come bottom of several tests I've seen; inflated numbers and inflated performance figures.

ORCA motors don't stand the heat very well in 13.5 boosted. Get them warm and the rotors fade permanently. The best is the GM Race, awesome performance and will take almost any temperature. The Hobbywing v10 also seems to be robust, although I've not run one myself.

The ESC is less important. They all have similar performance, just different settings to get you there. The Hobbywing V3.1 Stock Spec is my choice. It's the cheapest of the top-level ESCs, has performance equal to anything else, and is very easy to tune via the programming box.