Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 15-11-2015

Default what electrics for modified touring cars

Hi all.

What electrics are everyone using in modifieds. I'm thinking of starting with blinks but want to be able to just buy a motor if I want to change to modified.

Many thanks
Old 15-11-2015

Go with a Hobbywing 120A, decent price, reliable and easy to tune via the setup box. You can turn the punch down while you get used to it.

Motor wise, maybe go for something with a replacable stator (like the Thunder Power) so you can just change that when you want to go faster. I'd start with a 7.5t with some turbo for the straight, which will be more controllable on the infield.

Most people go way too fast when they try mod. You have to ask the question... if the best TC drivers in the world can control a 4.5t, what should you choose for your ability?
Old 16-11-2015

Cheers dale.

I'm starting off in blinky as I think that's the best thing to do. What make is best for that.

What lipo size/make should I be looking to get.

Thanks again
Old 16-11-2015
No trade access

You should check Orca brand.
I've been running their electronic for a while off road and the current offering is ace. It was developed for touring and still is. Very easy ESC programming, very efficient and durable.
It's an Asian customer based brand so they had to dealt with hotter climat than us so heat is not an issue, at least less than others brands.
Old 16-11-2015

Will look at them. Do they make lipos aswell

Cheers.
Old 16-11-2015

For lipos I'd recommend Intellect (IP). For mod the 6000 SHV will work well; it's light and provides a good flat voltage curve.

About 50% of the lipos out there (including ORCA and LRP) are rebadged IPs at a higher price.

I only use Hobbywing ESCs in all my cars (blinky or boosted) and have done for years, so that's all I'd recommend. Very reliable and decent price.
Old 17-11-2015

Cheers dale.

Now have got to decide what radio to get and what chassis. I was looking at bd7 but xray has turned my head. What are xray like to set up

Thanks again
Old 17-11-2015

Xray and Yokomo are top of the notch. I am racing Yokomo and only few shims here or there and everything changes. I know people running xray and it is almost the same. You will not be disappointed with one of those.

Electrics, as they have told you, ORCA or hobbywing are safe options. If you are starting go for a 5.5T motor, in the UK it's going to be more than enough 95% of times.

Radio, Futaba or Sanwa in wheels, on sticks you can add KO.

Best regards
Javier