Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 29-04-2012

Default Someone already tested Toro Pro ESC ?

Did someone already tested the new http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...&product_id=92

Looks good !

Old 29-04-2012

I'd like to see one in the flesh rather than a CAD render. Do you know the price?
Old 29-04-2012

It's low budget !

http://www.rcecho.com/SKYRC-TORO-PRO...ler-SL770.html
Old 16-10-2012

I've got one
As a speed control it seems pretty good, however it has a few design issues which im not happy with.
  1. its BIG, but will fit with imagination
  2. Programming method is a bit 'clunky' unless you use the programming card
  3. The BEC although is rated at 3A is good for 3.2A then craps out
Now point 3 may seem OK but, If you use a power hungy servo like a Savox it can cause problems. A savox servo can draw peaks of 3.5 to 4A for a millisecond or so. this can cause the BEC on this unit to shut down. I've tested this back to back with an LRP sphere and the sphere BEC is good for 4A without shutting down. A sphere BEC is still rated at 3A but will be able to cope with the peaks demanded by the servo. The regulators used on these BECs have the same component pinout so as an experiment i'm going to change the Toro BEC for a Sphere type BEC and retest to see if it improves. I will be sending my findings to SKYRC and see what the reply is.

A work around is to bypass the onboard BEC and use a seperate UBEC for £6 of ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURNIGY-3A...item2a16f606d6

Have no issues when using this good for 3A continous and 5A peaks. but makes the install a bit more complex. Goes in a B44 quite neatly
Old 16-10-2012
Mad Member

To be honest, the BEC performance is a problem with the Savox servos, not a problem with the ESC.

It surprises me how many people change receivers and ESCs in order to keep the Savox servo, when the simplest solution is to get rid of the Savox servo and retain your usual ESC and receiver!
Old 16-10-2012

Agreed, I've only seen this problem with savox. But still a little engineering investigation gives some surprising results. Not all BEC are created equally (which we all knew) but at least I have numbers and to back this up and the knowledge that some will work way beyond their 'spec' rating. Also I've only seen the problem with this ESC/servo combination. I run savox in all my cars and they are happy with LRP, Tekin, Novak, and robitronic.
Also in my testing I have found that Spektrum recivers are more sensitive to voltage dips than other makes (this is also well documented) so if you have a combination of all 3. savox + specktrum + Poor BEC = problems.
So far from my tests show LRP have the most robust BEC designs
I'm going to test others as I aquire then to get a good picture of what is an essential part of an ESC