Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 05-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Doughty View Post
But we are developing cars for a global market for lots of driving styles, lots of different tracks for lots of different kinds of tires being used. and the v2 parts are quite widely liked

Please!!! the V2 was blatantly a production version of Jorns car not designed for club drivers, global markets or anything else not a car for the masses just what one man made work well, and the fact you just don't see them anywhere anymore speaks volumes. If it was winning people would still use it regardless of part supply but the fact it wasn't competitive and poor support has killed it.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 05-06-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ironic that!

People only want to buy what wins, but then the V2 gets slated for being based of Jorn's car and not suitable for club drivers.

The honest truth is that although people always want the latest international winner history has shown time and time again that this is not always the best car for the club racer. But every attempt to build a true 'club car' has failed, or been forced to morph into the very thing is was designed not to be.
The original Bmax was a good example of this - nobody was interested until Neil Cragg started using it, and even then people only wanted the alloy laden FT version.

On the subject of Yokomo I sold my FT a few years back to get my first 210. The reason was that Bmax spares didn't exist in the UK - I was ordering direct from Japan. Today Yok's are easy to get parts for - situations change.

I do find the spares situation mostly just scaremongering. Panic buying and sales have depleted the current UK stock, but how many people actually have broken Durango's they can't fix? I doubt its many!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 05-06-2015

Angry Sad ending for good make of car

Love the 410 .but Durango killed the car if no one will stock parts and will not deal with revell no one will ever buy another simple fix let us buy direct from Durango like the old days
Old 05-06-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'll keep the replies short

claymoreman - the current cars are not being hung out to dry at all. R&D team has NOTHING to do with spare parts production, distribution or shop stock of current TD kits.
R&D focus is always is always a generation ahead of current production car, this has been the case since forever and I would only assume the same is true for all manufacturers

NeilRalph - Perhaps there is another angle to your ideas. I think Rossi is awesome, but I'd quite happily stick a 46 sticker on a Honda.
I've heard many people say "Rossi could ride a scooter and still win"
but if some upstart rocked up on a Suzuki and dropped it onto the front row of the grid.. OMG how did that happen? it must be the bike!

Lee Martin, awesome racer, won with his Tamiya, wins with his Mugen 8th scale car, switches to Yokomo 10th scale, wins with that too... erm... there is a common theme to his success here... and its not the car.

I come back to my original statement saying "the RC race industry is cyclical, no one manufacturer stays in favor all the time."

Last edited by Chris Doughty; 05-06-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: corrected name - sorry Neil
Old 05-06-2015

Default your own words

did I not quote your own words in my post
so by your own words they are not focusing on the current 10th scale
and my point lets sort out the problems we facing if rd can put our points to managment over at durango but seems no one wants to help put our point across or no one wants to step up and deal with the problems that there that is why the brand is slowly shooting itself in the foot and many of us are walking away from the brand if our shops cannot get parts our cars sit on the shelf unable to race due to poor parts distribution to our local shops surely if someone who reads and posts on forums that club racers use and sees there a problem that racers are on the warpath over involving the company they work for surely they can at least push the point ot management or is it I work for rnd so I dont really care about the people who buy what we produce short parts supply poor upto the date stockist lists or point to bad management and point to the same problems no matter what is in the pipe line. People will not support something they cannot get parts for would you buy a reguar road car if you could not buy the parts to service it or repair it when it breaks and with no dealer network ????
Old 05-06-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The situation is a very high priority for TD and the relevant people are aware, make no mistake about that!

But as raised before

Quote:
I'm sure we can backwards and forwards all day long about this. but I'm pretty sure none of the people involved with the backwards and forwards debate on the spare parts situation know the full story behind it. I certainly don't.
Every question about spare parts supply can be answered by the quoted statement above.
Old 05-06-2015

Cheers for the spelling error that seems to happen a lot!
----AE B6.4----

Last edited by NeilRalph77; 05-06-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoreman View Post
did I not quote your own words in my post
so by your own words they are not focusing on the current 10th scale
and my point lets sort out the problems we facing if rd can put our points to managment over at durango but seems no one wants to help put our point across or no one wants to step up and deal with the problems that there that is why the brand is slowly shooting itself in the foot and many of us are walking away from the brand if our shops cannot get parts our cars sit on the shelf unable to race due to poor parts distribution to our local shops surely if someone who reads and posts on forums that club racers use and sees there a problem that racers are on the warpath over involving the company they work for surely they can at least push the point ot management or is it I work for rnd so I dont really care about the people who buy what we produce short parts supply poor upto the date stockist lists or point to bad management and point to the same problems no matter what is in the pipe line. People will not support something they cannot get parts for would you buy a reguar road car if you could not buy the parts to service it or repair it when it breaks and with no dealer network ????
First, it would be really helpful if you were to use punctuation. As things stands your posts are an absolute pain to read.

Second you have totally misinterpreted Chris's reply. You're complaining that we're not supporting the current cars and there's no focus on 10th. This is absolutely false.

Even MB Models stated that the parts availability at Revell is not at cause.

However when you quoted Chris on this phrase

We still intend to have A-team racers, B-team racers, well supported customer/club racers. this is starting to gain momentum with our 8th scale cars at the moment.
We will start to focus on 10th scale team as the cars get closer to release.

You are totally missing Chris's point, he's talking about the team - more precisely the recruitment of new team drivers, and certainly not spare parts supply.

We haven't been actively recruiting 10th racers as with the current evolution of cars we felt we needed to introduce a 2WD designed for high grip in order to be more attractive to customers and team drivers.

Unlike what some people seem to think, I find the 210 V2 is a much better car than the V1, which I could never get to grips with. I made A finals at Worksop with it and I'm not a pro driver at all. However last winter I was far off the pace as the track layouts were much more favorable to forward motor cars such as the KF.

I feel the new car will be perfectly suited to the high grip/high speed tracks of late and be more attractive to customers and subsequently potential team drivers.

The fact that we've just released a spy shot of a new car should tell you that our focus is very much on 10th scale, otherwise we wouldn't have a car near enough production ready that we'd show it.

What goes on with parts supply is beyond Chris, Adam and myself and we are not going to comment on this outside of what Chris said - The situation is a very high priority for TD and the relevant people are aware.

Now can we get back to talking about the car and not the parts supply which is another subject?
Old 05-06-2015

so,if theres a new 2wd buggy coming,will there be a new short course truck?i love my desc 210.it always puts a smile on my face.
Old 05-06-2015

Default my point is

team drivers or not a new car in the works but we as people who buy these vehicles are at a point that how can we support a brand with out the back up. a week to get something simple as shock shafts out of date supplier lists this thread seemed to appear out of the mess that the original thread about stock and getting stock. the new buggy is it going to have the same problem we have now of not being able to get parts. It is about the brand if they want to have people continue to support it in the future then the base problems of shortages need to be addressed its all about the availability of getting spares and updates without these no matter what is put out there in new designs if it a good car or not if it has factory team drivers or not if the regular customer has lost faith due to long term problems since the company switched its operations puts out information which we have seen to be untrue it wont matter what rnd say or do the ball has been dropped like I said would you buy a new road car if you were not able to get parts for a week at a time and not have a dealership to take it to?
Old 07-06-2015

I like the idea of the factory 410/210 hybrid. I've seen a few home brews before on here and fancied cobbling one together myself. Also handy if it shares the same parts as the current cars (all my spares will fit). Release it together with some big updates to the other two like new wider (or just wider pods) chassis for the 410 so we can tweak the battery motor positions and provide space for center diff etc. Will help boost confidence again I think. The two have been unchanged for too long now.

We are convinced updates to our cars are the way to go faster and not improving our driving!. Durango keep us fed with gucci new parts now and then and we'll be happy!
Old 07-06-2015

Quote:
Though my initial reply was directed towards the 2 Neils, they don't care so its probably a waste of my time.
But I do care, I never claimed not to. I wanted more than anything the V2 to be epic but I do fear it was to much 1 man's car.

Quote:
It would have been a costly exercise if we were designing you a personal 2WD car.
Yeh it was indeed! I had my V2 pre ordered spurred on by the ali chassis instead of the dimec (which I lost money on by the time I'd bought it and snapped it + the shell and paint job). I bought new electrics so I could keep my V1 as a runner, 6months later I was completely disillusioned with racing to the point I nearly sold up and well out of pocket, and that's partly the problem for club racers money! and feeling you've wasted it when something bombs, doesn't perform or is no longer supported (though for me I did have a new ESC which was nice)

Quote:
if some upstart rocked up on a Suzuki and dropped it onto the front row of the grid.. OMG how did that happen? it must be the bike!
And that's the point exactly if it's got to be competitive to win, even the national boys were running the 410 as a 2wd rather than run the 210.

I hope this new car is a success I really do but it need's to be more than just another car on the grid to get customer faith again.

You'll notice I haven't complained about spares Yet???? I've plenty thanks!
----AE B6.4----
Old 09-06-2015

For the people concerned about spares why don't you do what I have done and wait for all the people to sell there cars on the for sale section on this site and buy them problem solved . I know the spares situation is a problem but I have raced so much better with my DEX410 and DETC than I ever have with any other make of car so I wont be switching just because a short of finding spares. Ive never had a 2wd Durango so not sure how it goes but I hope it brings success to anyone who races it. A new release from Durango is always a good thing and a great car
Old 09-06-2015

Wow what a read.
Thank you for releasing a picture of the car Chris, the more cars and manufacturers the better in my eyes.

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 09-06-2015

Although I'm in the US, Durango isn't carried by any shops here in Houston, where I live. If you want local parts support you've got 3 manufacturer options. Associated, Losi, and Traxxas. Even then I've got to travel 40 miles to a shop that carries anything other than Traxxas. As such I order almost everything online. I have had no problems obtaining Durango parts when I've needed them. Our 1/10 track doesn't even have a shop tied to it so if anyone breaks there and doesn't already have a spare on hand, they are done for the day.

I admit to liking the V1 version of the 210 better than the V2 as well but there are many that disagree with me. I actually run a hybrid of them. I run the V1 chassis, shocks, and rear tower, but run the V2 front arms and a special slightly taller front tower. I use the V2 gearbox case and gear diff. I also only run this car in MM3 or RM3 since I can't stand MM4 on any car.

I personally don't care about results at world level races. They are relevant to exactly no one but the people actually racing, much like a McLaren or Ferrari victory in an F1 race has no relevance to me. From a pure geometry standpoint, the TLR22 is technically superior to the Associated cars, which btw have kept the exact same suspension geometry for the past 20 years. So much for "new". Their cars win. AE does typically hire the best drivers. They can afford to! Incidentally the 210 shares the AE suspension geometry so design isn't an issue.

Being able to afford drivers is the key. I see complaints that Durango isn't paying for the elite world's level drivers so they must not be relevant. However, that doesn't seem to matter since when they were paying for them people were still complaining that they won't use them because of parts availability. That's the true source of the issue, parts availability. It's being stated again in this thread. They didn't have the money for parts because they were paying big bucks for drivers.

At some point you need to press control, alt, delete and completely reset. Dump those guys for now, since it doesn't seem to be helping, and put that money back into the company. They've been doing that. They've started with 1/8 scale. That's a big scale here in the US and sales and feedback about them have been great. More people are going to Durango here. They don't have a huge building with 100 engineers and designers in it to work on every product at once. They started with 1/8 scale and will then move on to 1/10 scale. The problem for the hobbyists is that there are people that want 1/10 now, or onroad now, or a new 2WD sct now, and they feel they are being left out to dry since they aren't getting it at this exact moment. These guys can only do so much at once. They have prioritized and 1/10 2WD wasn't first. You start a project and work it through to completion before moving on. That's good business. If you try to do everything at once, you finish nothing. As a person in engineering, I can absolutely assure you that their re-organization is a positive thing.

There are plenty of competitors vehicles to choose from. Arguing here is pointless when you could just easily go buy an alternative. Shut up and go do it! Then stick to their threads. From this picture, it should be obvious that they've moved on to 2wd 1/10 scale. This is a sign of progress. Arguing with an R&D guy about sales and parts support, a department he has no role in, is an exercise in futility. You should be thankful that someone from the inside is even divulging anything at all!

Is Durango perfect? Nope. They've had their issues and they know it. They are clearly trying to get things fixed though and what they've done so far has been a very positive sign of things to come. They just can't fix it all at once.

Last edited by fredswain; 09-06-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2015

Default your point of view

again it is said they concentrating on 1/8th. Our point is what is the point of designing a new vehicle to race in whatever scale when the parts issue will continue to raise its head. The issue should be a priority no matter what department they work in to sort out as a racer you have said no one stocks parts so you have to order long distance unlike we had shops local supplying but have pulled out due to the companies inability to sort out a simple and most important part of any company distribution. NO parts in shops people will buy other manufacturers cars which impacts on the company in question as a whole less people buying there products means job cuts so it will filter down or up the line be it the distribution centres which are not doing there job to the rnd department. SO saying to people go buy other manufacturers parts is a real good thng to say to which you will end up having to do the same when the company finally bites the bullet and all those people who work there dont have jobs because a part of the company cannot be sorted out. many of us are selling up our durangos and switching to a manufacter that can supply parts to our stores.

So to say it has nothing to do with r n d of a company when there job is on the line within that company as people dump there product is inaccurate to say the least shops and racers will only stick with a brand for so long giving them time to sort out supply problems but when companies say one thing and you know shops who are well respected in the sport say well how come I been waiting 5 weeks for an order of parts and have a manager stand in there store saying they will be here within 72 hours and they still do not turn up leaving customers frustrated to the point they do go buy another brand of vehicle then its only the brand that suffers.

I will re itterate my question I have posted that people havent either read or able to respond to
would you buy a road vehicle with the knowledge of not being able to get parts or a dealer network?
and yet durango continue to expect people to buy there brand with both these problems as shops(dealers pull out)
Old 10-06-2015

Default interesting read

Thanks for the read guys, interesting.

I used to race an rc10 gold tub back when I was a boy. Having been out of racing for 15years and my son taking an interest I visited a local track, spoke to a few of the top guys there and was advised to get the 210 RTR, great price at MB 160ish. at our local theres about 6 of them so parts werent an issue. to go with my lads 210 RTR i bought a 2nd hand v1.

If anything broke theres plenty of people to nab parts off and Ive never had an issue getting parts. My lad proke the rear hing pin holder but being plastic its understandable... his own fault, but he then broke his chassis at the front, where it kicks up. I called durango or revell... whoever the uk guys are, they immediately send a new v2 RTR chassis, bulk head and front tower for free. couldnt fault their customer service.

Ive aquired lots of parts over the 8months or so but with the announcement MB and inside werent going to hold any more parts I decided to get my son a b5m and can walk into my local and pick up any part he needs, Ive since bought myself a b5m and have both really improved.

the 210 was great, loved it to be honest. Im going to be selling both very shortly but if a new 210 were to come out id definiately have a look, but id only be tempted to buy if they sort the parts out

With respect to recruiting 1/10 drivers i had mailed TD about it as my lads getting better each week, won his final at Bury in the regionals last week, then won his final this sunday too ( Hayden-Lewis ) . AE are taking an interest and have a junior programme... for me the youngsters need the encouragement as theyre the future of the sport... disappointed TD didnt get back to us

Alas rant over - sort it out TD
Old 10-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoreman View Post
again it is said they concentrating on 1/8th. Our point is what is the point of designing a new vehicle to race in whatever scale when the parts issue will continue to raise its head. The issue should be a priority no matter what department they work in to sort out as a racer you have said no one stocks parts so you have to order long distance unlike we had shops local supplying but have pulled out due to the companies inability to sort out a simple and most important part of any company distribution. NO parts in shops people will buy other manufacturers cars which impacts on the company in question as a whole less people buying there products means job cuts so it will filter down or up the line be it the distribution centres which are not doing there job to the rnd department. SO saying to people go buy other manufacturers parts is a real good thng to say to which you will end up having to do the same when the company finally bites the bullet and all those people who work there dont have jobs because a part of the company cannot be sorted out. many of us are selling up our durangos and switching to a manufacter that can supply parts to our stores.

So to say it has nothing to do with r n d of a company when there job is on the line within that company as people dump there product is inaccurate to say the least shops and racers will only stick with a brand for so long giving them time to sort out supply problems but when companies say one thing and you know shops who are well respected in the sport say well how come I been waiting 5 weeks for an order of parts and have a manager stand in there store saying they will be here within 72 hours and they still do not turn up leaving customers frustrated to the point they do go buy another brand of vehicle then its only the brand that suffers.

I will re itterate my question I have posted that people havent either read or able to respond to
would you buy a road vehicle with the knowledge of not being able to get parts or a dealer network?
and yet durango continue to expect people to buy there brand with both these problems as shops(dealers pull out)
OK got it. Hobby shops not being able to stock parts causes those hobby shops to close and for the people working there to lose their jobs which leads to higher national unemployment numbers and ultimately countries to go bankrupt. You learn something everyday.

Comparing a full sized car company to an rc car is just plain and simple, asinine. Parts support is just fine here with their new 1/8 scale products and feedback on the performance has been fantastic. I'm not even speaking as a person that owns one of the new vehicles since I don't. For what I do own, I've never had a single issue ever getting what I needed. They can only fix one product line at a time. It's simple business. Work on one thing until it's done or work on everything and fix nothing.

You clearly don't like Durango and have problems with them. Why not go somewhere else? How hard is that? Get rid of what you've got and get something else. I don't see the problem. It's elementary school level logic.

Last edited by fredswain; 10-06-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2015

Default its called costs

got to love someone who comments saying comparing one thing to another is assanign without answering the question, or is it this simple that you wouldnt. Any company that needs distribution of parts no matter what field it is in does not last long with out this distribution parts stuck in a warehouse not being shipped is the problem so if they need to sort one thing out as and sensible company that to me would be the first thing to sort out before as a brand they distance themselves from the club racers. I dont have a problem with the brands products seen as I actually own one but how can I support the brand if they unable to support me as a racer with parts that we all know they have in stock in a warehouse but take weeks to be shipped to shops or shops cancel orders due to the length of time it takes to get parts from the warehouse to the shops where we can buy the parts as we cannot order direct from the warehouse as this would not be financially viable. If I ran my business the same way I would not be in business as niether would many other companies around the world. obviously you didnt read the post as it wasnt about model shops going out of business more on the fact that as people desert a brand and move to another the brand in question pays the price
Old 10-06-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It sounds like the problems are very much specific to the UK though. Not great if you are a UK racer true, but significant when we are talking the future of the brand full stop.

The fact is that parts exist, they just aren't getting to UK shops. But they can be bought elsewhere. Of course it would be better to not have to order from abroad but thats how it is.

Durango have a track record of only being able to do one thing at a time. Whenever a new model comes out spares and support for their other models dips.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)