Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 02-06-2010

Default Trying To Get To The Bottom Of The Losi Strike Conundrum

Evenin' Ladies & Gents,

I'm torn between buying a Losi Strike or waiting for an SC10 to show up cheapy. The consensus seems to either be that the Strike is worthless and will break the first time you run it, or its indestructible and fantastic value for money. This leads me to think that the problem is down to assembly quality rather than build quality of the parts. Buying the CVD's seems a necessity but I dont understand how steel turnbuckles can simply snap unless people are jumping their Strikes 6ft in the air onto a solid surface.

If anyone with experience of the Strike could sum up what needs to be done to turn it into a reliable racer i would be most grateful as it seems to have a pretty poor rep that I am not sure is justified.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

On the other hand, the SC10 has a better rep and many people will vouch for it..... speaks volumes?
Old 02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
On the other hand, the SC10 has a better rep and many people will vouch for it..... speaks volumes?
Thanks for your comment.

I totally agree and given either for free I would take the SC10 hands down for sure, but in RTR form the cheapest SC10 I can find is at £220, likewise the cheapest Blitz is at £190. The Strike is priced at £130, not far off half of the price of the SC10. I'm really trying to identify how much money I need to put on top of the Strike to make it a reliable runner. If this is £80 its not worth it, if it's only the CVD's and the idler gear at a cost of £20 it might be worth it.
Old 02-06-2010

I've only seen two Losi Strikes, the first chassis had snapped in half following a bad landing, the seconded survived a race meeting without any problems (on a small Astro Track). It had CVD's, and a Ball Diff and an EZrun brushless system but other that that it was standard.

The owner of the Strike didn't enjoy racing it so it's on the bay right now (without radio gear though).

You should probably check out www.rcshortcourse.com it has loads of useful information on all of the trucks available ATM.
Old 02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveltrap View Post
I've only seen two Losi Strikes, the first chassis had snapped in half following a bad landing, the seconded survived a race meeting without any problems (on a small Astro Track). It had CVD's, and a Ball Diff and an EZrun brushless system but other that that it was standard.

The owner of the Strike didn't enjoy racing it so it's on the bay right now (without radio gear though).

You should probably check out www.rcshortcourse.com it has loads of useful information on all of the trucks available ATM.
Cheers, yeah I've been on there periodically asking similar questions - in oople I trust though!

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2010
Mad Member

A1 Racing Club have a heat of 6 Strikes running on a mostly astroturf track, the Strikes are overall a strong car.

stock silver Driveshafts and Turnbuckles are very weak, Horizon have replacement black driveshafts which we have not managed to bend yet... and the racing can be carnage with the jumps we have built into the track (for 1/8th nitro)

Lunsford now do a Titanium turnbuckle set so that is fixed too.

We were trying to run the strike class as an 'out of the box' class to attract beginners to the hobby and it is fun.

After playing with motors and gearing, with brushless or hot modifieds the front becomes very light, the bodyshell's rub as they sit a bit low on chassis and the metal gears get noisy after a couple of runs.

For what you get for the price they are a great starter truck, i want to see how they compare with others as the class develops over here.
Old 30-07-2010

We had 7 short course trucks regularly running indoors last winter over a big jump track, 6 were Strikes and 1 was an Associated SC10.

The only one running by the end of March was the AE SC10. Each of the Strikes had gone through 3 or 4 diffs together with numerous drive shafts and turnbuckles. So much so that there were no diffs left in the country so they all ended up on stop.

The weak point on the AE SC10 seems to be the front wishbones but they are easily sorted by changing to the beefed up RPM replacement parts and are sorted.

I know the difference is £90 initially but just watching the frustration the Strike runners endured and the cost of all the spares just to keep running they soon worked out more expensive.

One other thing..... the standard tyres that come with the AE SC10 last for ever and seem to work well on all surfaces.