Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 21-06-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default 210 (V1) Rear shock towers breaking?

My two boys are running Durango 210's and I have now lost count of how many rear shock towers they have broke. They broke 3 at one meeting last week, I watch the cars (which are slow as they are learning) and they broke even during low speed rolls, when the car just tips over mid corner.

I'm concerned and have bought the remaining stock from MB (7 towers) but we broke another one today. Cars are running well and not breaking anything else - Just Rear towers. Its getting silly, are they all floored?

I've crashed my 210 when I ran it - at far greater speed than my boys are running, and can never recall breaking one.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk

Last edited by andys; 21-06-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 21-06-2015
Mad Member

It'll be the tip of the shock tower digging in, then flexing/breaking against the spur gear cover mounting lug. I broke ~half a dozen plastic towers, then about 3 or 4 carbon ones.

Spacing the tower out from the gear box with 1 or 2mm shims helps, makes the failures far less frequent. But you can see witness marks after big crashes...... i think it is a design flaw with the car TBH

The RDRP aluminium tower is unbreakable. Buy one and never swap again. It doesn't seem to cause any problems down the line either.

(There is a fairly sizeable thread on this i started about 2 years ago.......)

Last edited by mattr; 21-06-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 21-06-2015
Mad Member

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=tower
Old 21-06-2015

I've heard the rdrc ones after handling due to there weight and rigidity. I would be buying the new v2 towers, the rear is much beefier, otherwise get the exotek 5mm carbon one
Old 21-06-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've never had a problem with the Cream carbon tower. Mind you I also run the shocks behind the tower which seems to help too.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 21-06-2015

V1 rear towers were always prone to breaking,

Fairly sure the V2 rear tower is lower for the revised geometry of the newer backend so using that may give you epic droop unless you put the 410 shorter shock shafts on as well. I heard of people spacing the tower from the motor plate but mine always stood clear anyway, I only ever had the cream and exotec carbon rear towers and there both excellent, never broke either but changed from one to the other for differing applications.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 21-06-2015
Mad Member

The problem is probably the tower hitting your motor plate (mounting lug of spur gear cover).

The solution is simple: Use 1mm shims between the tower and the gearbox and dremel a vertical flat spot on the mounting lug on your motor plate. It gives you a 2-3lmm clearance and will help a lot for durability.

In addition, arrange some 4mm thick Carbon Fibre towers (for example from Cream or Exotek). More recent batches of Durango's plastics should be avoided if possible: the factory that does the production of their parts seems to be cutting costs everywhere and it's affecting part quality - I've found numerous times parts are warped (poor fit) and/or retain internal stresses (=weaker).

Also, some DEX210V2 parts have weak areas from poor mould engineering (such as the V2 rear shock tower) - please carefully watch the quality of the parts you buy and in case the parts break suspiciously easily, don't throw away the evidence, instead contact the customer support. They can only improve the quality if they are faced with the issues, plus you have the right to receive replacement parts for ones where issues with quality are evident.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 21-06-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 22-06-2015

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

@ AndyS
Are you breaking v1 or v2 shock towers? (Just re-read the heading...... Doh!)

The RTR car was out of the box with v1 towers. The towers were modified for more clearance around the tower and also the geometry was altered for improved handling. It also had a material change for the v2 version.

As also suggested below putting a flat spot on the tower can also help with durability as the tower breakage is normally from when a car 'Donkey flips' and the tower digs into the ground (car orientation 180 degrees to the motion of the car).

On the below quote.
I'm not sure where you (Origineelreclamebord) get your information from about 'cutting costs'.
I'm guessing it's here-say?
But it simply isn't true.
We've use the same trusted supplier and their QC is very good.

However, you do make a good point in contacting customer services if you have had repeated issues with a part. Parts are made in batches and like any industry there can be issues with a batch. The only way we deal with issues is by direct contact on a person to person basis, not through forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
The problem is probably the tower hitting your motor plate (mounting lug of spur gear cover).

The solution is simple: Use 1mm shims between the tower and the gearbox and dremel a vertical flat spot on the mounting lug on your motor plate. It gives you a 2-3lmm clearance and will help a lot for durability.

In addition, arrange some 4mm thick Carbon Fibre towers (for example from Cream or Exotek). More recent batches of Durango's plastics should be avoided if possible: the factory that does the production of their parts seems to be cutting costs everywhere and it's affecting part quality - I've found numerous times parts are warped (poor fit) and/or retain internal stresses (=weaker).

Also, some DEX210V2 parts have weak areas from poor mould engineering (such as the V2 rear shock tower) - please carefully watch the quality of the parts you buy and in case the parts break suspiciously easily, don't throw away the evidence, instead contact the customer support. They can only improve the quality if they are faced with the issues, plus you have the right to receive replacement parts for ones where issues with quality are evident.

Powered by OptiPower

Do, or do not, there is no try!

Last edited by Adam Skelding; 22-06-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 22-06-2015
Mad Member

Hi Adam,

Please understand: I don't mean to just rant about quality problems. I've enthusiasticly supported Durango as a brand because there is a lot to like about these cars. And to be fair, all parts that were faulty I had replaced by their customer support.

I would love to see Durango's part quality and reputation turn around, However I will not filter out my public opinion to only the good things.

I've driven a DEX210 buggy for a year or so. In that time I've had very frequent contact with your customer support for various reasons:

1. High wear
I've had this on numerous occasions - particularly the outdrives. They should last longer than three to five race events before they are so far worn that the sliding surface are so uneven it affects suspension movement and grip under power. Enough said there I think.

2. Breakage due to manufacturing flaws
I've had this with various plastic parts. The best example I think is the 210V2 rear shock tower: It's injection location on the tower causes a weld line in the area that (probably) carries the highest load in the entire part. Particularly when using fibre-reinforced plastics, weld lines result in weak spots (a sort of break lines if you will). I broke one of these shock towers within 10 minutes of driving in a relatively mild roll and the breakage screams signs that it has broke on the weld line.

3. Damaged parts out of the package.
I've had many driveshafts replaced under warranty - I think about 10 of them, if not more. About a third of all driveshafts that went through my hands - from kits, spares and parts under warranty - had a cracked head on the outdrive side of the driveshaft whilst it was still in the package.

4. Tolerances that deem the part unusable.
With plastics I've found on several occasions that they were so warped that they affected the usability of the part - such as the gear casings and the gears, and in fact even rims that were warped out of the package. With the outdrives I've found on several occasions that bearings did not fit, or driveshaft heads that did not fit into the outdrives.

Like I said, to be fair, all faulty parts were replaced. However, what's so frustrating is that the replacement parts I got had the same issues as the parts I had before. In fact with the driveshafts I just stopped trying at some point: I received replacement parts for faulty replacement parts I was sent two weeks before!

Regardless of the quality itself, if a customer comes back to the customer support several times with new parts showing the same problems as the ones he had before, it would have been tactical to manually check the replacement parts for the issues that are described.

It is this sort of problems that push people's frustration over the edge. I've tried to adress is with patience for over a year and instead of improvements, I experienced the part quality actually became worse.

So to come back to your comment on how I think costs are being cut by your supplier... It is indeed a guess, but as you can read above, that guess doesn't just fall from the sky. On the actual QC and what's considered sufficient quality in that process I can't comment, but by the amount of negative feedback by customers I would say the customer values a higher level of quality than is currently present.

I'd like to ask you to take my comments to heart - If you want we can privately discuss the problems I've encountered - I've got pictures of it and shared these and my experience with the customer support. I would like nothing more than my problems to be of positive use to your company to improve the consistency of your product quality, not just a cause of frustration on my part!

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 22-06-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 22-06-2015

Send a message via AIM to Adam Skelding Send a message via MSN to Adam Skelding Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Skelding Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Skelding

I'll go through your points one by one.

1. We did have an issue where out-drives were not manufactured correctly. Incorrectly manufactured ones were taken out of circulation as soon as we could and the warehouse stock was replaced with correct items after they were approved by drivers and metrology.

2. The tower. We changed the design and material around the area where certain types of impact cause a breakage by levering the tower against the motor plate.
We can have a look to see if mould improvements can be made to improve material flow. It's certainly not impossible.

3. Cracked driveshafts. This was again found to be a issue and there was a process change. We have replaced any driveshafts (unused) that have had this issue and some with little use FOC.

4. Wheels. Yes, we have seen warped wheels out of the package and a solution was implemented a while ago. However, gears and gearboxes I've not heard or had issues with.

A lot of the solutions are tested in house by 'normal' drivers at club meetings before the solution is released to the public.

If faulty parts are replaced with further faulty parts this can be frustrating. But the Customer service department is not the distribution point and the picker / packer may not be looking for an issue when sending out a replacement part. Sometimes there is some overlap of 'old' stock and 'new' stock when a part is replaced in the distribution cycle. This is hard to avoid but we try to cut it down as much as possible.

In a perfect world we would get perfect parts every-time, but we can't the cost and logistics would make every part made $$$$$$ extra. We don't deliberately design parts to fail easily. We spend a lot of time checking parts are suitable for use.

Our factory doesn't change materials for lower quality ones, they know we have the means to test at any time and we keep reference parts to test against.

If an issue is raised to us via the correct channels then it can be dealt with correctly. We have stressed this right from the start with Team Durango, but it's surprising how few people do this, but would turn to this forum to make their first comment about an issue rather than the company directly.

Quote:
So to come back to your comment on how I think costs are being cut by your supplier... It doesn't just fall from the sky: I've had parts replaced under warranty until I came across parts that happened to stay in one piece for acceptable amounts of mileage.
[U]

To reply to this comment:
How you think cost are being cut by our supplier. Is not correct.

Costs are not being cut. Issues happen, which lead to a solution being implemented.
This can't happen overnight it's not a software fix that can be uploaded to your phone. We'd love to be able to do it this fast, but we can't.

At Team Durango we mainly come from a racing background and we know the frustrations that people go through. We don't like to see someone not finish a race and we are all approachable at race meetings to help customers out if possible. Even handing out parts from our spares boxes if need be.

If there is a part with a problem, we can then report back on a Monday morning when we chat about the weekends racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Hi Adam,

Please understandI don't mean to just rant about quality problems. I've enthusiasticly supported Durango as a brand because there is a lot to like about these cars. And to be fair, all parts that were faulty I had replaced by their customer support.

I would love to see Durango's part quality and reputation turn around, However I will not filter out my public opinion to only the good things.

I've driven a DEX210 buggy for a year or so, and the FWD Buggy based on your DEX210 for over 2 years now. In that time I've had very frequent contact with your customer support for various reasons:

1. High wear
I've had this on numerous occasions - particularly the outdrives. They should last longer than three to five race events before they are so far worn that the sliding surface are so uneven it affects suspension movement and grip under power. Enough said there I think.

2. Breakage due to manufacturing flaws
I've had this with various plastic parts. The best example I think is the 210V2 rear shock tower: It's injection location on the tower causes a weld line in the area that (probably) carries the highest load in the entire part. Particularly when using fibre-reinforced plastics, weld lines result in weak spots (a sort of break lines if you will). I broke one of these shock towers within 10 minutes of driving in a relatively mild roll and the breakage screams signs that it has broke on the weld line.

3. Damaged parts out of the package.
I've had many driveshafts replaced under warranty - I think about 10 of them, if not more. About a third of all driveshafts that went through my hands - from kits, spares and parts under warranty - had a cracked head on the outdrive side of the driveshaft whilst it was still in the package.

4. Tolerances that deem the part unusable.
With plastics I've found on several occasions that they were so warped that they affected the usability of the part - such as the gear casings and the gears, and in fact even rims that were warped out of the package:

With the outdrives I've again found on several occasions that bearings did not fit, or driveshaft heads that did not fit into the outdrives.

Like I said, to be fair, all faulty parts were replaced. However, what's so frustrating is that the replacement parts I got had the same issues as the parts I had before. In fact with the driveshafts I just stopped trying at some point: I received replacement parts for faulty replacement parts I was sent two weeks before!

Regardless of the quality itself, if a customer comes back to the customer support several times with new parts showing the same problems as the ones he had before, it would have been tactical to manually check the replacement parts for the issues that are described.

It is this sort of problems that push people's frustration over the edge. I've tried to adress is with patience for over a year and instead of improvements, I experienced the part quality actually became worse.

So to come back to your comment on how I think costs are being cut by your supplier... It doesn't just fall from the sky: I've had parts replaced under warranty until I came across parts that happened to stay in one piece for acceptable amounts of mileage.

I'd like to ask you to take my comments to heart - If you want we can privately discuss the problems I've encountered - I would like nothing more than my problems to be of positive use to your company to improve the consistency of your product quality, not just a cause of high blood pressure on my part!