Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Trade Room > Wanted

Old 24-06-2012
Administrator

Exclamation ! SAFETY !

Please be wary of new users joining and contacting you via PM to offer goods they don't have. This guy has cracked on and might show you a photo that's not #1 on google image search - but don't be fooled.

He's always got what you want, he's always got a photo, he's friendly and candid and gives plausible reasons and answers. Whilst myself and the moderators will do our best - it's up to you to be aware of who you're dealing with.

This guy used to use bank transfer but I believe he's now using paypal exclusively.

Please report any suspicious stuff and I will look into it - here are a couple from the last hour from user Stiffmeister who started contacting people minutes after joining this afternoon.

#######################################

hey dude,

i have a near new hpi pro flux 6.5t, ive just upgraded so i dont need it anymore

if you are interested, make me an offer

thanks!

#####################################

hey dude!

are you still after a speed passion esc?

thanks
###############################

Anything suspicious - let me know. This is one guy trying to spoil it for the rest of us - don't let him.
Old 25-06-2012
Administrator

hey XXXX
let me know if you are still interested in a traxxas motor as i have one, brand new, the only downside is i only have one of them, not 2

however, i can do you a good deal on it

thanks

##############################

hey xxxx

i have a speed passion v3 for 13.5 motors, if you are interested make me an offer

cheers
Old 25-06-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Jimmy,

On another forum we have a setup where you can't pm people until you have posted 5 times, or 10 times.

Might stop this?
Old 25-06-2012
Administrator

I will look into this - I think it might have to be done with usergroup promotions which is a bit of a pain to make sure everything works / permissions are all correct. But it might be an idea. It might not stop this idiot totally but it'll be even more obvious if he has to post something he knows nothing about just to get access.
Old 25-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Most scammers dont really know much about what they are claiming to sell. A simple or hard technical question to them may help you decide if they are for real.
Old 25-06-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I will look into this - I think it might have to be done with usergroup promotions which is a bit of a pain to make sure everything works / permissions are all correct. But it might be an idea. It might not stop this idiot totally but it'll be even more obvious if he has to post something he knows nothing about just to get access.
People will also be able to view his 5 or 10 posts so can also make their mind up. I can put you in touch with the person who see it up on this other forum if you want.
Old 25-06-2012

On another forum i use you have to have 50 posts minimum then you have access to the classified threads ( For sale, Wanted, Off Topic For sale ). I think this would be a good idea as it would people from joining the forum and scamming people. Having the 50 post minimum would allow you to get to know if this person is real or not. 50 posts may be to much but i thought it was a good idea.

Jamil
Old 25-06-2012

before i ever buy anything i check for feedback and for how long they have been on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aH0tUnicorn View Post
On another forum i use you have to have 50 posts minimum then you have access to the classified threads ( For sale, Wanted, Off Topic For sale ). I think this would be a good idea as it would people from joining the forum and scamming people. Having the 50 post minimum would allow you to get to know if this person is real or not. 50 posts may be to much but i thought it was a good idea.

Jamil

My Feedback : [URL]http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86486[/URL]
Old 26-06-2012

100% I check when joined, amount posts made if they have any friends on oople and trader feedback.

From this you can tell if they should be ok or not.

I would rather let something go than risk someone with low stats and a possible scam.

Old 26-06-2012

Its all common sense at the end of the day, someone with 2 posts who joined a day ago is less likely to be genuine that someone with 500 posts who joined 8 years ago...

I support a minimum post count for use of the for sale section too, its pretty easy to set up through the admin panel on VB forums.

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 26-06-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

I've recently changed things on RCR.

I had it set up so you had to have a minimum of 20 posts before you could see the Trading section and also to be able to PM.

This has worked well for some time now, but i realised just how restrictive it is for the genuine person when i joined another forum and wanted to ask something through PM.

There's had a minimum on Trading section, but not on PM'ing. I found it so helpful, i changed RCR.

So we now have 20off min for trading and 0 for PMing. I think 99% of people know dodgy pm's when they get one from people who have just joined. They then either contact me or just plain ignore the PM.

Old 26-06-2012
Mad Member

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmini View Post
I've recently changed things on RCR.

I had it set up so you had to have a minimum of 20 posts before you could see the Trading section and also to be able to PM.

This has worked well for some time now, but i realised just how restrictive it is for the genuine person when i joined another forum and wanted to ask something through PM.

There's had a minimum on Trading section, but not on PM'ing. I found it so helpful, i changed RCR.

So we now have 20off min for trading and 0 for PMing. I think 99% of people know dodgy pm's when they get one from people who have just joined. They then either contact me or just plain ignore the PM.

this sounds about right to me. Its buyer beware as always.... deal to good to be true? then prob is...........
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 26-06-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

And yes Jimmy, I had to originally twat around, making a new 'group' then modifying permissions to suit the new group. Then every member fell into that, until they posted and their personal group status got updated. Was a bit of a pain at first, but makes it so much easier now as you can really tailor stuff to suit.

Old 29-06-2012
Administrator

This guy joined again tonight and immediately targeted someone wanting a motor - I spotted the account and banned him just before the guy handed over his cash.
He's been using a proxy sever based in switzerland for three accounts now - I've banned that ip from even seeing the server at all, but sadly it won't stop it. It's a tough balancing act between informing people of his methods and keeping him guessing as to why I've spotted him.

This guy is THICK - he really knows nothing about R/C at all but will suddenly have pretty much exactly what YOU need with a plausible sounding reason as to why he's getting shut. He uses paypal now and is using the name carl park - though I suspect his name is Tom Heath. Either way, please beware of a user regisered 20 minutes ago offering you stuff.
Old 29-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
This guy joined again tonight and immediately targeted someone wanting a motor - I spotted the account and banned him just before the guy handed over his cash.
He's been using a proxy sever based in switzerland for three accounts now - I've banned that ip from even seeing the server at all, but sadly it won't stop it. It's a tough balancing act between informing people of his methods and keeping him guessing as to why I've spotted him.

This guy is THICK - he really knows nothing about R/C at all but will suddenly have pretty much exactly what YOU need with a plausible sounding reason as to why he's getting shut. He uses paypal now and is using the name carl park - though I suspect his name is Tom Heath. Either way, please beware of a user regisered 20 minutes ago offering you stuff.
That was me thank you for helping me
Old 29-06-2012

Default safety

yeah i was just conned by mr carl park with a micro receiver